Academy or Tamiya 1/32 F-16

Bernie Mac

Hi Folks,

I have been keeping my head down for the last while and just pottering about with a couple of projects both modelling related and life in general! But the time has finally come to start looking at getting back on the horse. I have got my eyes set on 1/32 build and the F-16 has really taken my eye. 

The question I have, as I have been looking at it for some time now, is which would people recommend when it come to the 1/32? For me its down to Tamiya or Academy. I have only ever built one tamiya kit, a 1/48 mozzie, and it was a dream in comparison to the few hobby boss kits I am used to. I have never had an Academy and I have heard on several occasions that fit can be a major issue with their kits and the F-16 is no different. I love the idea of all the variant choices in the Academy and the full belt feed rum being visible. I would most likely add more details to these areas as well.

However the engine is very tempting with the tamiya. But obviously you are very much set on building the variant included in the box, which isn't the worst thing. I was thinking of doing a well weathered Hellenic F-16 or maybe an aggressor instead of the RLM grey.

Anyway just interested to see what peoples opinions would be and if anyone has had their hands on both and can say what is what.

Thanks for looking!

Ian 

Hello Ian,

alternatively, you could try and get one of Hasegawa's F-16 kits. It seems they're OOP, but you can find them occasionally. (just checked and there's one for sale, $ 48.00 from Canada, an F-16A pre-production I think.) It also depends on the type of F-16 you'd want to build, I suppose.

Regards,

Robert

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobertF said:

Hello Ian,

alternatively, you could try and get one of Hasegawa's F-16 kits. It seems they're OOP, but you can find them occasionally. (just checked and there's one for sale, $ 48.00 from Canada, an F-16A pre-production I think.) It also depends on the type of F-16 you'd want to build, I suppose.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert, I had heard whispers about the Hasegawa kits alright but could never seem to find one, although hadn't really looked outside the UK either. Looks like I need to spread my searchs a  little wider. :)

10 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Gday Bernie, also look at this thread to help you

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce I will have a read through that see what the consensus is!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hook said:

If money is no objection: Tamiya all the way. The Hasegawa kit is quite old now, the Academy has a number of shape errors.

Cheers,

Andre

I agree, one of the best kits I've ever assembled....

Hi Ian,

I'm getting ready to start up on a big Tamiya Viper ......Block 50 kit .....building a Block 40 from Hill AFB ....Black Widows OIF bird.

Of course the Tamiya kit is gorgeous ...... does not need much in the way of upgrades, though there is stuff out there.

I have a couple of the Academy kits .....both the single seat and the SUFA kit ..... the knock on those being that the intake is not "right" in

the way that it matches up under the forward fuselage. Zacto Models make a replacement if you are looking for a small mouth intake that corrects

the issue. Not sure if he will eventually release a large mouth intake correction.

The Academy kit seems to build up into a great rendition of the Viper though for me personally, I would take the Tamiya for a single set build and

the Academy with the intake correction for a dual seat build. I also hear that the Aires wheel bay set fits the Academy kit nicely, while their Tamiya version

has fit issues that you will have to deal with if you want to use it.

-Scott

• 1 month later...

Tamiya, hands down!! Trust me it's worth every penny.. I built the Tamiya last year with a crap load of A/M parts and sure it was a expensive build but I was very pleased in the end. 

Build whatever ever you can afford and enjoy it regardless!!

dzve