Matchbox 1/72 Dassault Mirage IIIB (1973 Tooling)

Hello Chaps,

This is my third "Hairy Stick" adventure that I completed in December 2016- a very basic kit by Matchbox from 1973 that has been in my stash untouched for a very long time. Again, I was really concerned about the decals being so old and the fact that they had "yellowed", whether they would work or not, but, if I let them sit in warm water for a few minutes, I was able to carefully peel them from the backing paper, they wouldn't slide, but I was just happy that I got them to work!

The cockpit for this two-seater trainer version was very basic- just two seats, so I decided to scratch-build two instrument panels, four side consoles, two joy-sticks, seat belts made from wine bottle foil and ejector pull handles for both seats. The canopy was one solid piece which wouldn't allow for displaying the model with the rear section of the canopy open, so, with a hot knife, I carefully separated the rear section from the front section, glued the front section in place, then scratch-built a canopy actuator for the rear section and displayed it in the open position....

16681794_10155218629939835_8981806190120

Image may contain: airplane

No automatic alt text available.

If you'd like to see my YouTube build video for this vintage model, then here is the link to it:

Thanks in advance for taking a butchers and for any comments made, much appreciated!

Happy modeling!

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 49

Hi Martin:

Congratulations for this build!!

Have enjoyed the job you have done with this nice old girl making her "The Queen of the Party": I Have bough three of them wisihn one day to make a short tail one and a Brazilina with canards. Looking your work and others  from my friends here wish to take one of them to start soon.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Luis Alfonso

Can't believe how good you've made this old kit look, and without an airbrush!!! 

Thanks to you and all the other brush painters who make me believe there's  hope for me still :lol:

Superb build, beautifully finished 

Edited by jonf45
Spelling!

Hi Martin,

As Hans J nicely put it, why buy a new kit when you can get a "goldie" from an "oldie" Top work and lovely paint finish says I of the "hairy stick club". You have certainly done justice to a fine aircraft with scratch building and general tittivating. What type of paint did you use as I'm finishing off an old Heller Mirage 111E kit which just needs decaling (when I'm not interrupted by life ha ha). I have a few Matchbox kits in my wee stash still, which will get my attention as you have given me some of my modelling mojo back. Best wishes and keep up the top work.

albamac :viking:........(frustrated Norseman)

Logic will get you from Point A to Point B. Imagination will take you Everywhere. (A. Einstein)

On 2/22/2017 at 1:43 PM, HansReggelsen said:

Now this is great! :goodjob:

When I see your model, I wonder why I bother buying the latest new kits, when one can get this out of an oldie - but surely goldie! :clap2:

Thanks for sharing - I'm inspired! :bye:

Hans J

Thanks for your very kind comment, Hans, greatly appreciated! :)

On 2/22/2017 at 2:07 PM, mcdonnell said:

Hello again, Martin - My same praises for this fine 'Mirage' as for your 'Skyhawk' and 'Seahawk'. Beautifully built and finished modelling work.

😉👍 All the best, Paul.

Thanks for your very kind comment, Paul, greatly appreciated :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2017 at 8:18 PM, celt said:

I love your faded paint work,well tidy mun.:clap2:

Thanks Celt, much appreciated :)

I create it by doing two things: 1) Tone down the paint color using white before applying it, then 2) After decals and a gloss clear coat to seal them in, I mix a beige/stone colored oil paint wash and cover the model with it, allow it to dry for an hour, then I use some kitchen roll around the end of my finger and with a gentle circular motion, I rub off the excess and leave enough on to mute and blend the camo colors.

Cheers,

Martin :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2017 at 9:14 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Very nice Martin :thumbsup2: 

The paint finish is excellent; now I am going to have to watch your video.

Great :)!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony, greatly appreciated!

Hope the video was worth the watch?

Cheers,

Martin :)

• Like 1

Just getting back into the hobby after long absence. Your "harry stick" adventures have been a significant inspiration to me. Gorgeous work, thanks for sharing. I'd love to see you do a brush painting tutorial on YouTube if you're ever so inclined.

On 22/02/2017 at 7:43 PM, HansReggelsen said:

I wonder why I bother buying the latest new kits, when one can get this out of an oldie - but surely goldie! :clap2:

Because the latest new kits are cheaper? ;)

Try finding a Matchbox Mirage III on ebay for a decent price! :rolleyes:

• Like 1