Immelmann's Eindecker

The model is Revell's Fokker E.III Eindecker.  Though '1980' was detailed on the interior of the fuselage I believe that the original mould dates from 1965.  In my expereience of Revell's kits, the parts sort of fitted, lacked detail and had loads of flash.  Maybe their newer kits are better but unless they're an ex-Matchbox I won't be finding out.

The wings have been reshaped but the fuselage, allegedly slightly short, has not been modified.  The detail in the cockpit was all scratchbuilt, and turnbuckles made from 5 amp fuse wire with barrels from stretched cotton bud stems.  The pulley for the wing warping wires is scratched from circles of fine plasticard stamped with my mini punches and a couple of other bits, five in all.  Wing wires are ez-line and the control wires at the back are invisible mending thread.  The propellor boss is scratched and the finish on the cowlings is 9B pencil over Humbrol's Aluminium metalcote.  'Max' is the 1/72 WW1 Aerobonus German and Austro-Hungarian Pilot figure in resin.

In June 1916 Max Immelmann and Oswalde Boelke were the darlings of the German press, leading aces vying for the top spot and flying the Fokker Eindecker.  Allegedly the Pour-le-Merit is named 'The Blue Max' after him.  In the late evening of 18 June 1916 Immelmann took off with his squadron in an E.III as his E.IV was damaged, and eventually attacked a flight of FE.2bs.  After a pass at one of the aircraft where he mortally wounded the pilot he started one of his trademark manoeuvres and began an Immelmannn turn.  One of the other British pilots had witnessed the attacking pass and, realising what the enemy pilot would do next, had positioned himself to make his own attack.  Immelmanns aircraft was hit, appeared to recover, then fell away out of control and the tail broke off; the wreckage carried Immelmann 5000ft to his death.  This is my interpretation of Immelmann as he prepared for his last patrol.

32910441251_2d72d3c2be_b.jpg

32910441561_9dc60d0d2c_b.jpg

32910441131_d67512e163_b.jpg

32910441051_2acdd58c51_b.jpg

32910441291_8572297e79_b.jpg

32910440961_9fcf35a1e6_b.jpg

And finally; Max:

32910441511_8e14f4eeb5_b.jpg

Thank you for looking.

• Like 31

Superb build and presentation.

Considering the age of the mold its outstanding, the "machined" metal effect is a nice touch and the beautiful painted figure as well.