1/35 Takom T29E3 "What If"

M_Sinclair

Thanks Francis. I agree! Will be choosing the latter option for the base.

Today has been hectic. Gotta leave for work in twenty minutes. But accomplished a lot. The base was masked off and the gloss black sprayed on. Looks much better now. And I spent most of my time airbrushing like a mad man!

The rubber side skirts were painted a couple shades of black/grey, then masked off.

Next, over the dark primer I shot a layer of very dark olive drab. Then a layer of regular Tamiya OD was mottled on. Next was another shadow layer of OD, black and NATO brown in all the crevices and some streaks. Finally I applied highlights and streaks.

Here she is. Looks a little more lively now I think.

33871634001_6970eb191f_b.jpg20170412-MJS_9998 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

34001407555_6035a67f0d_b.jpg20170412-MJS_9999 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

-matt

Edited by M_Sinclair
  • Like 5

Thanks Sairou. Yes I am. Here's a quick reminder.

32871582012_368aae2097_b.jpgIMG_8103 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

Now I'm not gonna lie. I was really thrilled with how well the OD came out. But I knew it was almost entirely going to be covered up so the next step of adding the pale sandy yellow was definitely stressful. Would I be able to make the yellow as interesting as the OD? Then add on top of that I was using the hairspray technique for the first time ever.

I'm calling the yellow complete. It's not quite the right shade. Doesn't have as much contrast as I achieved with the OD. But it's within the ball park of  where I was aiming. I'd say in person it is a bit brighter and more pale in person. Not quite so brownish as it looks here. 

33674959940_1a6ff06ded_b.jpg20170415-MJS_0010 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

This was not simply a case of spritz on a little hairspray. Shoot on some sandy yellow paint and call it done. This has been three days of work to get to this point. Probably about ten different shades of paint (each one custom mixed). Three separate applications of hairspray. And the chipping alone after each hairspray/painting session has been about 1-1.5 hours to do the turret and hull.

33930307381_1bd0275869_b.jpg20170415-MJS_0009 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

So next I have to seal the model with a clear coat to ensure no paint will be pulled up by the masking for the broad green stripes. I think I'll use Future/Pledge gloss clear. Should be fine over the Tamiya paint. Right? Never used it before either so I hope so!

Forgot to take a photo but the base is done!

-matt

Edited by M_Sinclair
  • Like 2

T29 has been glossed up in preparation of the wide green zig zags. The Future/Pledge floor polish worked perfectly I'm happy to say. Letting it dry nice and hard before I start applying the masking.

I decided to do some more work on the stowage. There won't be a lot. In the game the T29E3 has one long tarp on the right fender and a much shorter tarp on the left. These were made by rolling up some nice thick lead sheet. The straps on the short tarp are PE items from Accurate  Miniatures. I bought those well over ten years ago. Nice to finally use them!

33223121994_91099ee211_b.jpg20170416-MJS_0011 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

The tarp on the right has straps made from thin strips of masking tape secured with a little CA super glue. The stowage items in the turret basket are based on "consumables" found in the game World of Tanks. There are many to choose from in the game. I have here one fire extinguisher and one case of Cola. Oddly the turret basket on the T29 has no bottom to it. So to help support the game consumables I made a simple bedroll out of Milliput epoxy putty.

34065446615_16d92f4961_b.jpg20170416-MJS_0013 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

-matt

• Like 2

The sand yellow is looking great Matt. I was momentarily confused though (like every other day, then). I thought you were going to use the base OD for the stripes, rather than spraying them separately over the sand?

Looks fantastic either way.

Andy the perpetually confused 

• Like 1

Thanks Francis. She should look drastically different again by tomorrow once the stripes are on!

Thanks Andy. And I totally understand. If you look at the images from the game you can see the base OD where the sand and green has worn away. Though in the game the OD is an extremely faded light brown. Where as the OD I've been using from Tamiya is far darker and slightly greenish in comparison.

To be honest I certainly could have used the OD I painted for the stripes. But while it doesn't translate well in my photos of the tv screen, the green stripes are in reality a very nice, deep green. Which is noticeably different from any shade of OD.

I'm not sure if the above explanation actually made any sense but I tried lol. More to come soon, gotta get this thing done!!!!!!

-matt

• Like 1

I can't wait to see all the layers come together Andy. So despite it being Easter today was not a day of rest for me. Did squeeze in a visit with family. But also got as much work done as possible on the bench. Both tarps have been primed. 

Unfortunately the stripes aren't painted just yet. In fact I've only just finished masking the stripes on the turret. That alone took about 4 hours or so to do. 

I'm hoping it will go quicker for the hull. I feel once the stripes are painted the project will progress pretty quick. Though there may still be paint drying if I can get her done for ValourCon. 

-matt

I'm not sure if I'll have time to post more photos. I will if I get a chance. It's all hands on deck right now! 

All the masking for the stripes is done. All told that took about 7-8 hours to do. In hindsight I probably should have airbrushed them on free hand to save time. But the demarcation lines are very tight in the game so the masked lines will look more accurate. And besides I didn't think of that till now so yeah. 

After the masking was completed I gave the model another coat of hairspray (I think I've fallen in love with the hairspray technique). Then a dark base layer of green was applied. 

The finish line line is getting closer!

-matt

4 hours ago, M_Sinclair said:

All the masking for the stripes is done. All told that took about 7-8 hours to do. In hindsight I probably should have airbrushed them on free hand to save time. But the demarcation lines are very tight in the game so the masked lines will look more accurate. And besides I didn't think of that till now so yeah. 

After the masking was completed I gave the model another coat of hairspray (I think I've fallen in love with the hairspray technique). Then a dark base layer of green was applied. 

The finish line line is getting closer!

-matt

Hello Matt,

not that surprised by the time you spent masking the whole beast ... took me even more time for the splinter camo of the CV90 ... but the result will undoubtedly be amazing B)

Cheers, E

• Like 1

Thanks Etienne. Yeah there's no getting around it. And to be honest freehand wouldn't have worked for the tight points of the green stripes unless I had a high end airbrush. Which I don't. 

Still plugging away. I'm even bringing the model to work to get as much done as possible with what little time I have. 

Hairspray chipping of the green is complete. I was quite thrilled with how well the hairspray method works. No wonder it's been popular for what, like ten years already? 

The whole tank got another coat of Future to seal the paint and prevent any unintentional paint chips. I bought some laser cut masks and the national insignias were then painted onto the turret. 

Detail painting has begun for what little stowage that will be added. 

And the figure is now 99% done. 

Tonight I hope to get the pin washes and some light weathering done with the oil paints I brought to work. 

-matt 

Edited by M_Sinclair

So some of you may have been wondering "didn't that deadline of his come and go?"

Well yes, yes it did.

34082144891_6cc6542a74_b.jpg20170422-MJS_0176 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

I got it to ValourCon... with 25 minutes to spare before registration closed!

Working on the final gallery now. Apologies for the lack of updates. Just didn't have time.

More soon.

-matt

Edited by M_Sinclair
  • Like 7

Many thanks guys. Oh man it's such a relief to be done with this. Not because I didn't enjoy the kit. But because of the last minute time crunch I accepted which forced me to do far too much in too little time. 

But despite the rush (you could still smell paint/thinner as it was placed on display) it did rather well in the competition nabbing a gold medal. 

I should have the completed gallery done soon and I'll post a link here. 

-matt

Edited by M_Sinclair
  • Like 3

Thanks very much Andy. I appreciate that.

Here's the link to the gallery displaying the completed model.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235020346-135-takom-t29e3-world-of-tanks/

Thanks to all those who watched and commented along the way. It was a fun and crazy journey!

34234890425_4ce8233670_b.jpg20170423-MJS_0219 by _m_sinclair, on Flickr

-matt

Edited by M_Sinclair
  • Like 5