First WIP thread. AMK Mig-31

So after lurking on the forums for a while looking at everyones work I thought I should contribute with an attempt of my own.

Normally I'm a fan of things with propellers on them but when I was a kid there was one jet that I loved and that was the Mig-25 Foxbat. So when I saw that AMK were going to be releasing one I made the error of looking at the Mig-31 :o As they say a fool and his money are easily parted.....

AMK%20Mig-31_zps0ep62fvk.jpg

Sooo. I'm hoping you guys will give me some hints along the way as this is a new subject area for me and I will be needing guidance, not least with photo etch which I optimistically purchased. Any feedback will be appreciated.

In case I forget I'm a very slow builder:wink: 

• Like 3

You're no fool - you bought a cracking kit, and in the process joined a BIG club of people that own it.  There are a lot of build threads to help you with the fine details of painting and construction, and having built it myself when it first came out, it'll spoil you for other manufacturers once you've finished ;)  My build is linked from my signature if you're interested :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're no fool - you bought a cracking kit, and in the process joined a BIG club of people that own it.  There are a lot of build threads to help you with the fine details of painting and construction, and having built it myself when it first came out, it'll spoil you for other manufacturers once you've finished ;)  My build is linked from my signature if you're interested :)

Thanks Mike. Really appreciated. Read your build and its what convinced me to buy it :idea:

2 minutes ago, ChrisBraid said:

Read your build and its what convinced me to buy it :idea:

It seems I've inadvertently cost the modelling community quite a lot of money with that thread :blush: Ah well :devil:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It seems I've inadvertently cost the modelling community quite a lot of money with that thread :blush: Ah well :devil:

Could I second that? :D I got mine at the end of last year. after seeing your build- I don't regret buying it at all! :D

Edited by cathasatail

2 hours ago, Mike said:

:D I think so... I fell in the fishing net too. :thanks:

I wish you a good job, Chris. I'll follow your wip. :yes:

Ciao.

Davide

9 minutes ago, Aviano said:

Popcorn ;)

All the best, Oliver.

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The seats look very good to me, well done.

It really is a cracking kit, speaking as another who has one in the stash.

Thanks guys :) just impatiently waiting for my Mig paints to arrive so I can get cracking on the cockpit.

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Chris depending whereabouts in Leicestershire you live I can heartily recommend Clifton Curios at Breedon on the Hill, he stocks the Mig paints and many others.

Useful to know. I live on the other side of the A5 from you :) my mistake saying Mig. I meant Mig colours by Mr Paint

IMG_1389_zpsx7pcy93a.jpg

The modelling gods must have been listening. Box arrived this very minute from Mr Paint :D

Now if only I did not have to do some work today before I'm on gardening leave for the rest of the month...

Edited by ChrisBraid
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The seats look fantastic. I've said it before, some people think of resin replacements as the easy way to add detail but they still have to be painted well, and you've certainly done that.

John

Thank you :) I do like resin. It's still some way to go before it likes me though I think :D

Can you not mix an approximation from your existing stocks?  It all mixes together, and I do it all the time to multiply the shades I have, and to avoid having to use the older bottles that have gone gritty with age. :)

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can you not mix an approximation from your existing stocks?  It all mixes together, and I do it all the time to multiply the shades I have, and to avoid having to use the older bottles that have gone gritty with age. :)

Yep, I'm going with jet exhaust as base and going to highlight it with others. I'm really spraying stuff that won't be seen so probably being a bit of a drama queen.