First WIP thread. AMK Mig-31

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, ChrisBraid said:

Happy, Happy, Happy :happy: My new landing gear turned up in the post.

Hey, Chris! :bye: Howdy, bru? Noooiiiceee job ya're doin' there.

Guess 'em blokes @ Scale Aircraft Conversions & Master ain't gonna be happy at all with the AMK die-cast landin' gear 'n' pitot, huh? :lol:

That's a clever addition to the kit.

Cheers,

Unc2 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hey, Chris! :bye: Howdy, bru? Noooiiiceee job ya're doin' there.

Guess 'em blokes @ Scale Aircraft Conversions & Master ain't gonna be happy at all with the AMK die-cast landin' gear 'n' pitot, huh? :lol:

That's a clever addition to the kit.

Cheers,

Unc2 

I never quite understood why more manufacturers don't do this. I get that the bulk of their business comes from people totally happy to build the kit as it is. But the amount of aftermarket companies suggests that for a lot of models there is a market for the kit manufacturer to create an upgrade kit (with canopy masks next time please).

As for G Factor and SAC. Nothing against them but in this instance every penny I give AMK might help towards the next mould and based on the quality of this one I want more :D

It's always hard to judge on a picture, but I've made the experience that a semi-gloss or dull coat lets the contrasts 'melt' together rather stark.

Maybe you give it a try on a spot on the underside with your clear coat of choice. If it's still a bit splotchy you can add a further filter of the base color.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mostrich said:

It's always hard to judge on a picture, but I've made the experience that a semi-gloss or dull coat lets the contrasts 'melt' together rather stark.

Maybe you give it a try on a spot on the underside with your clear coat of choice. If it's still a bit splotchy you can add a further filter of the base color.

I like that thought :D  I'll give it a try 

Beautiful paint job, I've struggled with a similar issues in weathering.  What I sometimes do, is place it on a shelf or something similar where its likely to sit and look at it from a far. Sometimes a little extra weathering might seem to be a bit much but when you stand back it "balances itself out"  Either way terrific paint job, your technique keeps it "interesting to the eye" rather than so monotone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dsahling1 said:

Beautiful paint job, I've struggled with a similar issues in weathering.  What I sometimes do, is place it on a shelf or something similar where its likely to sit and look at it from a far. Sometimes a little extra weathering might seem to be a bit much but when you stand back it "balances itself out"  Either way terrific paint job, your technique keeps it "interesting to the eye" rather than so monotone.

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Nice job so far, I particularly like the paint finish you have achieved. 

Duncan B

Thanks, second time I've tried it. First time was on a 1/48 Spitfire PR XIX so the size is so different. Be interesting to see how it looks after the 1000034334 decals are applied :D bring back ww2 subjects

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

Lovely paint job. That marbling effect looks fantastic!

Thank you :happy: I'm still worrying I didn't tone it down enough. Hopefully the final varnish will calm it a little.

5 hours ago, rom1 said:

very nice paintjob!

will you let the canopy black?

Thanks :) That's actually the spare canopy that I'm using to protect the cockpit. The other one is all painted up ready to attach at the end.

3 hours ago, James G said:

Looks great!

16 minutes ago, Val said:

I am loving seeing her come together, fantastic work!

3 hours ago, ChrisBraid said:
8 hours ago, rom1 said:

Thanks :) That's actually the spare canopy that I'm using to protect the cockpit. The other one is all painted up ready to attach at the end.

Thats a fabulous idea :) 

• Like 1

So having taken a break from decals I started on the Acrid missiles.

Looking at some pictures on the web I liked how some of them looked decidedly worn with the metal lots of shades. 

So an opportunity to try something I've never done before. Bare Metal Foil. I have immense respect for the guys who are good at this. Mine is still a work in progress but I'm quite please with how its turning out.

IMG_1515_zpstq7edi5n.jpg

IMG_1516_zpsct5nl3xz.jpg