Phantom F-4J to an F-4J(UK) ~WIP

Yes, I had read somewhere that one of the fleet did not have the Empty(never realised that) housings fitted.I knew I'd burn my fingers if I started dabbling with fast jets!

I have to agree with your previous comments IP I am very much just an assembler of styrene and have little interest in exhibition or competition, I take my hat off to those experienced and skilled individuals who do.

Happy and smooth progress with your F4 build Sam,looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cathasatail said:

If I was in the House of Commons, I would wave my order papers and cry "Hear hear!"

I couldn't agree more :)

And others would use language which is classed as suitable for parliamentory debate and cal me a "silly g*t". Must stop sniffing the g;)lue!

• Like 2

You know, what's really scary about this thread for me is not the differences between Spey and J79 variants or which side the periscope was, but the difference between my "Old Airfix" Phantom and a proper Phantom kit!

:)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

You know, what's really scary about this thread for me is not the differences between Spey and J79 variants or which side the periscope was, but the difference between my "Old Airfix" Phantom and a proper Phantom kit!

:)

Regards,

Adrian

Which of course starts the debate about what is a "proper" Phantom kit. The only 100% accurate ones were the initial kits which McDonnell Douglas sent to Japan for assembly which were to a 1/1 scale. 

My preferred 1/72 ones are the Esci kits which fit quite well, are not too fussy(Hasegawa) and look right.

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

My preferred 1/72 ones are the Esci kits which fit quite well, are not too fussy(Hasegawa) and look right.

They're very nice indeed, more so given that they're not exactly new products. I have half a dozen in various boxings, such a shame that I've no longer got an interest in US Phantoms (one of them will become an F-4J(UK) in due course.)

Evening all,

I haven't taken a photo of the cockpit- all will be revealed in good time :)

-I have never spent so much time and effort on a 1:72 cockpit until now and dare I say it looks quite nice! It may also be worth noting that the kit comes with a 1-piece canopy and so I took a small saw to it and it has thankfully survived intact.

Everything is pretty much buttoned up and ready for painting- I'll be assembling and painting the landing gear, gear doors, airbrakes, arrestor hook and ejection seats separately.

Here's a sneak preview:

DSCN2554.jpg

DSCN2555.jpg

DSCN2556.jpg

And finally, before I forget, the decals arrived yesterday. Very prompt service from Hannants and beautiful decals:

DSCN2557.jpg

DSCN2558.jpg

DSCN2559.jpg

Right, I better be heading off to bed now! Back to school (sixth form) on Monday :P

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 2

ZE350/T was the one without the RW pods. The proof is in this thread (below) and the photo gives a very good picure of the strange gray which the a/c were delievered.

Thanks to the folks on F/C who answered my query.

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=142650

12 minutes ago, brianthemodeller said:

Loving the build Sam.

I think I have most of a decal sheet of UK phantom stencils up in the loft. If they are any good to you PM me your address and, presuming I can find them, I'll stick them in the post.

Hi,

I must decline, unfortunately- paint is already on the model :P

Thank you very much for the offer anyway :)

Kind regards,

Sam

All varieties of phantoms are good - these are my 1/48 (the one at the front is a F4J (UK)) tooms

WP_20161215_11_32_42_Pro_zpstgepzxr3.jpg

Not a great stretch to think 56 sqn would have got some Js in addition to 74 sqn, so most options are reasonable

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

Nice work, EXCELLENT subject. I am currently finishing up an FG.1 and have an F-4J

American version in the works. Very interested in the Academy kit. Looking good, I'll

be watching intently!---John

23 hours ago, iainpeden said:

But they were empty (and I think one of the J's didn't have them)

Correct, ZE350 in it's previous life was a NATC bird at Pax River and was never fitted with the intake RWR fairings.

1305530-large.jpg

6312849033_2b03843903_b.jpg

9 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

If we are going to WHIF RAF Phantoms you could start with 5, 11 and 25 and assume the plastic flick knife never happened.

Catastrophic failure of Lighting Airframes causing immediate grounding, Americans to support with F-4J(UK) ala 23Sqn/1435Flt  scenario.

8 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Catastrophic failure of Lighting Airframes causing immediate grounding, Americans to support with F-4J(UK) ala 23Sqn/1435Flt  scenario.

FG.1 Phantoms suffer high level of fatigue from their former carrier based life & post Falklands a second batch of F-4Js area ordered from US stores to keep operational numbers up....

Trump comes to power, cancels F-35 and by means of repaying US debts owed to UK for the failed programme, supplies several hundred F-4J's in their place that have happened to be storage in a forgotten part of the desert boneyard for the last 30 years?!

• Like 1

Wow, very nicely finished, be nice to see some more pictures.

I must admit that I probably would have made up a new serial number rather than using an existing Phantom one.

It is funny how much a J can look like the K & M when painted like that.

• Like 1