1/48 - Yakovlev Yak-11 "Moose" (plastic BILEK) by A&A Models - released

Homebee

A new Ukrainian company, A&A Models (https://www.facebook.com/AA-Models-1048501705294464/), is to release a 1/48th Yakovlev Yak-11 "Moose" kit.

A test build was on display this weekend at the Brovary 2017 Models exhibition.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/743509305708614/permalink/1353565128036359/

YAK11.jpg

A&A Models (https://www.facebook.com/AA-Models-1048501705294464/) is reported to be issued from Modelsvit. While Modelsvit is currently changing its design technology with innovative 3D tools - providing high detail level - A&A Models will keep the old and classic designing way to edit original kits.

Source: http://www.greenmats.club/topic/2957-як-11-в-148-от-aa/?do=findComment&comment=36488

The company is also to release soon a 1/72nd AA-60 Firefighting truck

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AAM7201

A1_A.jpg

To be noted Bilek already propose a 1/48th Yak-11 "Moose" kit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946759-148-yakovlev-yak-11let-c-11-moose-by-bilek-released/

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sources: 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/yakovlev-yak-11-military-trainer-aam4801-aa-models-aam4801-ground-equipment/product/?action=prodinfo&art=144795

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AAM4801

New moulds
photo-etched plate;
adhesive masks;
rubber tyres;
4 markings ( Bulgaria, Egypt, USSR, GDR)

Yakovlev Yak-11 Military Trainer  AAM4801

144795_0.jpg

V.P.
Edited by Homebee

3 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Looks like to be just a reboxing from the Bilek kit with new decals!!!

Compare the sprues: https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Yakovlev-Yak-11.html

V.P.

Not quite "just a reboxing", look again: A&A's kit has a full engine, Bilek's does not.  There are two more runners of parts in the A&A kit, plus PE, rubber tires and the new decals.  I will agree it does not look like a completely new tooling, though.

• 1 year later...

Yes, this is the original Bilek kit but it has some extra trees added to it. It desperately needs a better canopy. Since they added extra injected part trees to it they should also have taken the time to make an all new canopy for it. The original canopy is extremely thick and not clear and also is much too tall. I do have multiples of both and did a side by side comparison. It is otherwise a very nice kit. The new kit has just the right amount of complexity to it. The new kit updates were just the right touch, short of the canopy as mentioned before.

Edited by Otakar
  • Thanks 1

I just ordered two more of the A&A model kits. The best part (besides having the extra tree of injected parts) is that it also has an etch sheet. It definitely is an improved version of the Bilek kit. I might have to see if I can make a new canopy plug for it and vac some new ones. As I mentioned before, besides being too thick it is also too tall.

• 1 month later...

I have discovered that the Squadron canopy 9611, intended for the Yak 7/7V is not difficult to adapt for this model. The existing canopy which comes with the kit is much, much, much to tall to look good. My other problem is finding definitive colors for my Czech aircraft. There seam to be discrepancies/ conflicting info in the available data. There were anywhere from two to three colors used on Czech aircraft. There also seam to be an agreement on two of the basic colors but not what they exactly were. The jury is still out on the third color. The only agreement is that the aircraft were  always only monochrome. never two tone and all aircraft that came from the Czech factory Letov were initially this Blue-Gray color which was supposed to represent AGT-16. However, what AGT-16 actually looked like depends on the source you choose. The base opinion is that AGT-16 is roughly FS.34233 but the Czech aircraft according to the visible underlying color on the Austrian aircraft, is closer to FS.35488. It is difficult to judge from a picture not knowing what the lighting was during exposure but there is a HUGE difference between these two FS colors. It seams that even the restorations done recently are just estimates. It also seams that there is only one aircraft in Austria that has visible on it the original blue-gray, which actually looks light blue, visible on it. Unfortunately the Czech museums have never been known to restore their aircraft authentically, at lest in the past, and I am not sure even today. Coming from a background in this field, being the SNCOIC of restorations at the US Marines museum in Quantico VA for quite a few years, this bothers me. It is not enough thet a subject just looks good, it also has to be correct. Otherwise, what is the point.

Edited by Otakar

First my complements to you for the authentic restorations in Quantico. My favorite display is the MiG-15 with interesting markings. How does the Yak-7 squadron canopy ever fit the Yak-11? It just seems that they are two different shapes. That being said  I just ordered the squadron yak7 canopy.  Any photos of your Yak/11?? 

Hello

The MiG-15 happened long after me so I can't take any credit. I was transferred before they built the new building. When I was there we still used the Quonset huts that were off the parade deck by the officer candidate school. I left Quantico in 2005. I am still working on my Yak-11 and since I don't use any web hosting for my pictures, it is difficult for me to post any pictures. The canopy requires some modification but it is not difficult. Some of the sliders must be shortened and the very aft glazing must still be used with a cutting down. I was surprised that since A&A did some nice updating on this kit with the new trees, that they did not do a new canopy. It would have been worth it.

Otto

Edited by Otakar

The canopy problem is the most evident when you take a look at the curvature of the aft glazing. It is just too rounded. The kit canopy is "about" 20/25% too tall. This ruins the natural smooth gentle curve of the aft glazing. Also the front windshield which becomes too tall and should be almost square. If you plan on building the kit with the canopies open, you can fix the canopy by cutting it down some. You will still have to do some mish mush of both the vac formed and the original parts. As I mentioned, the aft part of the original canopy will still have to be used in a slightly cut down state or form a new one from clear stock.

• Thanks 1

BTW, I was also fortunate enough to obtain some of the original Bilek PE sets which were available for this kit at one time. They are quite nice and also important for added cockpit detail. I wish that Eduard did a new set for it since this set is no longer available. Unfortunately for us modelers, Eduard is very ethical about not stepping on the toes of their own customers. This old sheet which was made available back in 2013 was originally made by them. Unfortunately also it did not include new PR instrument panels. Fortunately for us though, Since the kit has been released by someone else, it is less expensive than it used to be with more injected parts.

Edited by Otakar

Thank you and you have renewed my interest in the kit. My focus is on the Korean War and I have discussed the coloration of the North Korean Yak-11 with Ken Rowe, aka Ro Kum Sok, the NKAF pilot who defected in  1953. He recalls that his training plane was a Yak-11 and “green”. I am not sure how this could be, given that the Korean Yaks were documented in the overall gray scheme. Secondly there is some question as to whether the plane shot down in the opening days of the war by Lt Fraser’s F-82G was a Yak-11, Yak-9U or Yak-9V. (I think it was an 11 but what do I know?) Finally I have a photo from a magazine of a NKAF Yak-11 in New Jersey on a flat bed truck, circa 1950. Appears to be a captured plane. Overall gray. Thank you for your advice (I ordered the canopy) and thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country. 

• Thanks 1

Depending on the manufacture of the aircraft, Czech or Russian, the tint of the blue-gray would be different. Much of the production run that was made by the Czechs went to Russia. The Czechs exported this aircraft all over the world. The countries I am aware of are, USSR, Poland, Austria, East Germany, Bulgaria, Hungary, China, Algeria. The Czechs built roughly 20% of these aircraft. I can believe that the F-82 encounter would indeed be with a Yak-11. It would be a aircraft that would not have much of a chance against the F-82. However the claimed La-7 kills are quite doubtful since there is no record of the La-7 ever being use by any other countries besides the USSR and Czechoslovakia. It is most likely that they were La-9s. Which is known to be used by NK. Most American pilots could not distinguish between many of these radial engine aircraft in the war. It is very possible that all the aircraft were actually Yak-11 aircraft. Or maybe even the Yak-18 which was used by them back then. The Yak-18s were actually painted green while the Yak-11 was the blue-gray. I would think that the US pilots would be able to distinguish a Yak-9 or any of the other inline engine Yak aircraft from these. Especially since they knew an IL-10 when they saw one. NK actually operates MiG-17, MiG-19 and IL-28 aircraft to this day. That is how bad off they are.

Edited by Otakar

BTW, the best price I have been able to find for this kit is here. Once you get on his mailing list and place a few orders, the discount gets significant.  https://modelsua.com/?target=search&mode=search&substring=yak-11&including=all  Since I have been ordering from Ivan for quite a few years and place rather large orders from him a couple of times per year, I save a lot. I buy all the kits made in the Ukraine and Russia which I want, from him. Such as ICM, Zvezda, Roden, Modelsvit, Unimodels, Mikromir, ETC.

Back to colors. The Soviet built aircraft were painted in AGT-16 (gloss) (AMT=mat). this color is closest to FS 34233. the Czech built aircraft were a bit different, the color was much more blue from the factory and much lighter. There is no close FS representation of this color. It is somewhere between 35488 and 35526. Lighter and more yellow than the first and more light blue than the second. What US color would be very close would be the pre-WWII Light Blue 27. It would be virtually identical. We are having a discussion about Yak-11 colors here. Just hit the translate icon on your computer. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=127208

Edited by Otakar

I now have five of these kits. Two original ones from Bilek, one from A&A and two more A&A kits coming from Models.UA. Be aware that the color designated in the A&A kit as Humbrol 140 Gull Gray is completely wrong.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have found that Bilek still now has the Photo etch and decals for the Yak-11 (C-11) you can see them on their website and also there is a seller on eBay that has them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Bilek-Color-Photo-Etched-Parts-Russian-Soviet-Yak-11-Moose-Trainer-VB005/254516830732?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649  I bought two more sets of decals and photo-etch for my A&A kits. I now have more than enough photo etch for all my kits and enough decals to do all possible Czech variations. I am now attempting to convince Yaho in Poland to enlarge the 1/72 scale instrument panels they have to 1/48 for these kits. I am contemplating on buying a Vacuu-form machine and making the correct canopies for this model.  There are other kits I wish to make new canopies for, so this may not be a bad investment. It is just a little machine but a real good one. It is used by dentists and has a small platform of only about 4"x4". I might be able to make between 2-3 canopies at a time depending on the size and shape. A good canopy must be made into a female cavity and not over the top of a male plug.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Otakar
  • Thanks 1

Update

I have managed to pester "Yahu" in Poland enough to convince them for the production of the Yak-11 instrument panels. The product is going to be #YMA4894.  There is no release date yet and he seams to be about 20% finished. You can follow the progress here. http://www.yahumodels.com/index.php/news/

Update

At this point 4/24/2020, it is 70% finished.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just received an email from Yahu about the YMA4894 instrument panels. They sent me some very nice pictures but unfortunately it is impossible to post pictures here in the normal way so I can show you guys what they sent me. I was informed that the parts are being etched at this time. I would not be surprised if you don't find them available in the next couple of weeks. I buy all of my Polish made modeling supplies at Yadar https://www.jadarhobby.pl/ they by far have the best price I could find. They should look like this but better. These are 1/72

spacer.png

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

I received another email from Urszula at Yahu. I was informed that she will notify me at the time when these instrument panels are finished. I also emailed Jadar to let them know that the instant these are available that I will be ordering five sets. One for each kit I have. I already have all the Bilek PE sets.

• 2 months later...

I just received notification fro Urszula at Yahu that the instrument panels are ready. I will be ordering five sets (one for each of my kits) right away from Jadar in Poland. The part number of the new product is YMA4894. 

spacer.png

Edited by Otakar
  • Thanks 1