Ooooh it's a Eurofighter Typhoon 1/72 relax it's nearly spring build.

Well hello everybody!:lol:

I have decided to head back to the Gentlemans scale for a nice relaxing stress free, almost spring time, out of the box build.

(Probably):huh:

Since My Father's Day gift from the kids last year ( Tickets to the Cosford air show ;)  ) I haven't been to an air show since I was knee high to a grass hopper and the sight and sounds of such a wonderful aircraft have stuck in my head. The rest of the show was pretty cool too.

Here's a brief glimpse of the Typhoon in flight.

https://wn.com/mobile/eurofighter_typhoon__cosford_airshow_2016

I had bought the Revell kit from the bargain bin in my LMS in Birmingham a few months before not knowing that I would be seeing one in flight.

Long story short, this will be my next build, it's  a far cry from my last mammoth three month long build of the venerable Airfix Bf109-E.

Back to the matter at hand......

The boxed offering is a "Eurofighter Typhoon F2, R.A.F Coningsby UK, 2005/2007 No.3 Squadron. It is the magic number after all. :lol: There are other schemes but this one is the one I put a pin in.  The Cosford jet was a FGR4 but it was a single seater like this one so that's good enough for me. I hope you will join me in building this lovely kit. Let's hope it is a lovely kit eh? ;) Any hoo here is the obligatory box shot after I have cleaned the bench and set up the almost ritualistic first shot of a new build.

0A5FA737-66F4-4AA7-A626-DC6E8F4D5A5D_zpsliiryebn

Nice innit?B) I'm going to post now and follow up after dinner.

Take care and hope you're all having a lovely Friday eve.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny Typhoon.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 10

Aaaaaand they're off.

There seems to be a lot of parts.

0D361730-7D8F-467E-9FAB-EC11F1CA30AB_zpsevzo3b8v

There are a tonne of weapons, I'm not sure which ones will get fitted yet.

I'm slightly worried about the decals.:o

9D15DD58-717D-4D9A-BA9B-C0ADEEA5F01E_zpswn8vuofh

how many? 

I watched @CedB's build last year and that turned out great. I'm re reading his build to avoid any pitfalls. Thanks Ced.

:worthy:

The only other Revel kit I have ever built was the Stearman so this will be a fun learning experience. I have sorted out the colours and converted most of the A, B, C stuff to Tamiya.

first off the office. 

256474F4-6FBB-41C4-B79C-CAA4B1BB83CD_zpsulphsk66

The seat looks really good to be fair.

B16CC0E5-4B2A-4394-9389-D7781D02C4B3_zpsgfhiailj

the rest got put together and primed. Once again the detail is pretty good.

There is a bit of flash on the fuselage but a quick flick of a scalpel put paid to that.B)

B2D8E581-BD7C-4BF8-A151-B71B7F083457_zpsuycudldt

and a quick dry fit and a canopy check after Ceds and I think Pc's warning.

629989A3-F69A-41B3-B720-1958A80DE44A_zpsytf4jijv

seems all is fine. I will look out however for the fit of the seat and try not to push the whole office area into the fuselage. :o 

320B3D57-77CC-4FC4-A71E-51D5665772B5_zpsw6vr1g4h

this is where we are as of tonight. I have the RFI on the Bf109 to take care of this weekend but I hope to get some time to get some work in on this beauty.

thanks for popping in.

Have a great Friday night y'all.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

It looks like I have one of the good seats on this one Johnny :).

That decal sheet is incredible! Good luck with the build; looking forward to it.

:popcorn: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 0:56 PM, The Spadgent said:

I have decided to head back to the Gentlemans scale for a nice relaxing stress free, almost spring time, out of the box build.

Hm! Well, if you find the Revell Typhoon relaxing, you're a better man than me (which is not, to be fair, particularly difficult, as my wife is fond of reminding me). Word to the wise -- I've found the ejection seat is a little too tall to fit with the canopy closed, and it can benefit from some judicious sanding down.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Hm! Well, if you find the Revell Typhoon, you're a better man than me (which is not, to be fair, particularly difficult, as my wife is fond of reminding me). Word to the wise -- I've found the ejection seat is a little too tall to fit with the canopy closed, and it can benefit from some judicious sanding down.

Revell have issued a brand new tooled 1/72 scale (Tranche 3) Typhoon last month, see here for more details:

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/revell-03952-1-72-eurofighter-typhoon

Duncan B

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Revell have issued a brand new tooled 1/72 scale (Tranche 3) Typhoon last month, see here for more details:

Whoops, I left out a word in there!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I omitted "relaxing" after "find it", which totally changed the meaning of my post.

Which is weird as I read relaxing anyway. ;) And thanks for the tip.

Edited by The Spadgent

Nice to have you all on board. :lol:

not a lot done today as we spent the whole day out. I managed a quick hour or so in between getting ready and tonight to try out some new stuff.

I'm testing out using Mr Leveling thinner and Tamiya clear gloss / semi / mat pots rather than rattle cans. I have a spare side fed cheap airbrush, that I'm planning to use exclusively for top coats, so we shall see how it goes. Hopefully a real money saver. Any way I got some paint on the office parts and gave em a top coat hence the shiny.:) seems to be working well.

6EE5E5DB-29BB-4846-A3E1-2A8B9D7319FF_zpsq5mkb02o

the fuselage internals got a squirt and gloss too.

0F32DD5E-B311-468D-8478-688D758804F5_zpskmcmottv

pin marks ahoy but you wont see them when the office is in.

1FA91862-622B-4669-85CE-22B1DDC3519C_zpsumcyajyt

now forgive me if I'm wrong but with so many decals you would think that they could get the numbers right, especially one the first ones.:huh: regardless I cut the decals out and fitted them into place. I also added some tamiya clear blue to the screens.

C8E55272-60A0-40C5-A789-F70FCD5DD98B_zpskjq5sghx

Just need to top coat again and weather. 

I'll check the fit when it's dry due to @Procopius's warning about the canopy. Not quite sure which bit to cut back to fit. Is it the plinth inside the pit that the seat sits on? We shall see.

thanks for dropping by.

hopefully I'll get a little time tomorrow.

take care and I hope you all had a spiffing weekend.

happy modelling.

johnny top coat.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 13

Just now, The Spadgent said:

I'll check the fit when it's dry due to @Procopius's warning about the canopy. Not quite sure which bit to cut back to fit. Is it the plinth inside the pit that the seat sits on? We shall see.

That cockpit sure looks nice! IIRC, my solution was to simply sand the bottom of the ejection seat down a little, maybe one or two millimeters. It's been a while.

• Like 1

Just now, Procopius said:

That cockpit sure looks nice! IIRC, my solution was to simply sand the bottom of the ejection seat down a little, maybe one or two millimeters. It's been a while.

Thanks PC it looks awfully clean at the moment but I'm planning to use @CedB's suggestion of Games workshop Sepia wash. Might come up a treat.

Thanks also for the hint. It sits on a mad little lump of plastic deep in the main tub. Either way I'll sand it and get it to fit. :lol:

John.

• Like 2