Good News, Bad News but NOT fake news.  (That's a great joke here in the States, might be a little obscure for those not in the U.S.)

I found the Revell DH-2 in my stash and (good news) it looks like I forgot that there were two of them....

But on closer inspection (here's the bad news) there are about 1.95 of them.  The second kit is missing a single part (the side panel of the fuselage, so a major part).

IMG_1942_zpsajzprmii.jpg

I decided that it is a simple enough part that I will try to scratch a new one and build both.

And so it starts.........

Greg in Oklahoma

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Greg, yes we are keeping up with all the alternative facts over here :)

Your news is good news, I look forward to seeing them built B)

Cheers,

Stew

And coming up with a few of our own... 

It took a quite a few tries (more than I would like to mention, getting all the cuts square was not as easy as it would seem) but I managed to cut out an acceptable replacement for the missing piece.

IMG_2079_zpsefchqc0y.jpg

From here on in it should be smooth sailing.......

Greg in OK

• Like 7

Glad to see the replacement sidewall worked out, good luck with the rest of the build! I've always thought the DH.2 was a very cool looking aircraft...I've got two of the Eduard kits (1:72 Profipack and 1:48 Weekend Edition), tempted to pull the 1:48 kit out of the stash but I think I'm probably better off practising rigging on something like a Gladiator or maybe an I-153 first...

Edited by Sabre_days

3 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

I think I'm probably better off practising rigging on something like a Gladiator or maybe an I-153 first...

The advantage in doing this kit in 1/72 is that I am not silly enough to even attempt to rig it.  I have done rigging only one plane and this is NOT a good model for my second attempt.

By coincidence I am planning on rigging the Heller I-153 for the From Russia with Love GB.

Greg in OK 

• Like 1

Spend the last two evenings digging through the stash looking for an answer to THIS problem.

FullSizeRender_zpsi730dclh.jpg

Seriously, in what alternate reality is that 'lump o' plastic' considered a Lewis gun?  Sitting at the very fore of the DH-2 that "gun" would have really affected the looks so for two nights I dug through the stash opening every WWI kit I have looking for something to replace that lump.

I finally found TWO white metal Lewis guns in a vac form kit that looked the part.  I liberated the white metal parts from the kit (leaving a note to future me as to where they had gone) and will use one of each guns on the two DH-2s that I am building.

IMG_2209_zpsgtedqwtm.jpg

I think they are quite an improvement.

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 9

In working with the rather fiddly landing gear I found that a second piece, the axle bar that goes between the wheels, was also missing.  The problem was not fabricating a replacement but finding the right polystyrene to make it from, so much of the sheet stock and new plastic is made from the overly plasticized, flexible 'modern'  PS that is found in current production kits.  So I needed a good old STIFF piece of plastic for the repair.  I found the perfect material in a scrapped out, incomplete Frog Westland Wallace with all the struts still on the sprue.....

IMG_2338_zpsbqx2ihg0.jpg

a little trimming and it's as good as new!

I also melded the notch in the fuse side to accept the landing gear...

IMG_2339_zpsyivaep3p.jpg

so I am now ready to tackle the landing gear.

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sooo glad you are doing this one Greg.....I'll be following my DH1 up with a DH2, also Revell. That Lewis is truly hillarious though. I built one of these kits when it was new, but being only about 12, that gun didn't matter at the time. It sure does now.

• 3 weeks later...

"Wow!  I can't believe that this DH-2 kit went together so easy!"

Those are 12 words you are NEVER going to hear from any modeler!

You may remember I started 2 of these, I managed to get the birdcage on ONE of them without breaking it several times.

Not sure what I am going to do with the second one, a really small paint mule perhaps?

But here is this one, I am over the hump!

IMG_5881_zps7sfd6uqa.jpg

Greg in Oklahoma

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Quite honestly I had begun to fear that this kit was never going to get this far. 

I think that had I not started TWO I would not have been able to get one this far, easily broken hard to align, fiddly parts are the norm in this build.

But I am getting there, however I think the scrapped out hanger mate is never going to see the light of day.

dh2_zpssrd24x7m.jpg

• Like 2

Slowly pecking away at this one.

IMG_7095_zpsgso0hwvp.jpg

Doing the paint job a bit different, rattlecanned the base color and am hand brushing the other colors.

I think that I am progressing well enough that I may finish on time.....

Greg in OK

• Like 3