17th PG Boeing P-26 unit markings

Brian J

Sorry - looks like I posted the photos (rather than the links) and somehow used up my message space.

Anyhow, IF any of the 17th's aircraft were blue, they were probably the mixed blue in between.

Flypaper, you're going back a long way to the old Flight Plan days.  I remember all the Rapidographs and Zip-a-tone we used to prep our artwork, seeing my first ever word processor (it was gigantic, slow, and complicated!), and learning to love research at the archives in Ottawa and DC.  Changed my life, those guys did, and I'm glad of it.

The OD research continues, though the book is on hold.  It's always good to wait a bit longer - last week I found a note that the Army's 3-1 Olive Drab standard seems to have changed in 1923-24.  I still don't know what that was all about, but paint manufacturers were complaining that it wasn't fair to change the standard color after they had begun producing paint...

Cheers, all!

Dana

• Like 3

Dana 

I will happily wait for your Olive Drab works. As for "FLIGHT PLAN" I still have several issues in my collection and pull them down along with some early "Random Thoughts" and relive those early days. I am still amazed at some of the work from the Nor-east Con's.

• Like 1

That second colour photo that Dana included is sure interesting.  I take it that Dana is suggesting that the colour shown there is an accurate possibility of how the aircraft would have looked?  It's just that I've never seen anything like it in any artwork (the two shades of blue) and it looks strange to my eye.  Anybody else have a take on it?

I have come across 2 pics of the same a/c from the one of the 17th Grps  Sqd.  you can make out  a partial of the belly number in this case the #5 in white. I'd post but to be honest not sure how to on this forum.