IBN Aviolibri

tempestfan

I came across this series somewhat by Chance, and I can't remember whether I've seen them before, or read something about them. They cover subjects in Italian Service - many that were also done by Ali d'Italia but have become Unobtainium - and are rather attractively priced. My abilities speaking Italian do not go beyond "Iouuu sounouuu Italienouuu douuu Milanouuu" (but I intend to Change this somewhat), so - assuming they are not bilingual - are they useful for modelling purposes even if one cannot really read/embrace the text ? I hope Giorgio reads this...

I did read this and here I am to the rescue !:D

The books are fortunately bilingual, with the full text in both Italian and English. The English translation at a first check seems pretty good to me (something that doesn't always happen..)

They are IMHO good books and at least on some subjects there's very little else around anyway (apart from the mentioned Ali d'Italia). They are aimed at modellers so include scale drawings, drawings from the maintenance manuals and some pictures of details. They also have a modeller's section discussing the build of models in 1/72 and 1/48, some with very detailed suggestions about the various details to add or modify. The author of most if not all the books is Maurizio di Terlizzi, who is a fantastic modeller and IIRC is also a member here.

There are only a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) their format is quite small, around A5. Not really a problem, just means that pictures are not as large as sometime would be useful.

2) They are not really new books so the modelling sections suffer from this. On the G.55 title for example, the models built are of older now hard to find cottage industry kits and not of the more recent Special Hobby kits. The same happens for other titles. To me this is not really a big deal as the general suggestions are valid for any kit anyway, but some may find this a smaller problem

Personally I have a few and I'm happy to recommend them. The very low price of some titles make them even more interesting

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Mille grazie, Giorgio ! (But not from my bank account :whistle:).

Perhaps I should have been more precise, as there are in fact two apparently different series', namely Monografie IBN and Aviolibri Records - a lot of which are authored by Nicola Malizia. I gather you primarily referred to the Monografie's ? Anyway, I think I'll take the dive and place a big order with a certain Torino book store, where I'll be even able to get a couple of Ali's.

But don't hold your breath for me starting a model of an RA or AMI subject...I just love good books :D

The ones I'm referring to are the Aviolibri proper, for example this is the one on the MC.205

http://www.ibneditore.it/shop/di-terlizzi-m-macchi-mc-205-veltro/

The Aviolibri Records IIRC are also bilingual, regarding the modelling section I have to check, some may have it and some not. In any case they are generally the only references available on those subjects...