Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2

23 minutes ago, clipper said:

By her naval architect, Stephen Payne no less. But remember she had a refit adding cabins up top last year. And I see in his month's 'Ships Monthly', etc there is a new book by him on the QE2.

Think it was here we'd a good debate about her actual hull colour, search it out - it is Cunard Federal Grey!

ps The pdf Revell manual is here as product/kit # 05223  https://www.revell.de/en/service/download-area.html  (bookmark that one for future reference) and the direct download https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/05223_%23BAU_QUEEN_MARY_2.PDF (4.55Mb)

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably get it on payday, I LOVE the QE2 also, so I'm interested in those literatures. I have downloaded the instructions already, but I don't have access to printer without the local library helping. So Cunard Federal Grey...I'm guessing that is equivalent to a very very dark charcoal grey? I have seen Vallejo 71056 Black Grey

20 minutes ago, clipper said:

I got mine from Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong - great service, very well wrapped and here within a week http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/pgx5uwwiahco7pbkofmg.html Getting expensive though.

(It's a PE set for the 1:400 AIDA DIVA/ BLU, etc that is like hens teeth, revell #00717, so if you ever see it nab it for me, thanks!)

AW50028A.jpg

Thanks for that, I'm guessing it came to about £60 posted? I'll look into it on payday also

52 minutes ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably get it on payday, I LOVE the QE2 also, so I'm interested in those literatures. I have downloaded the instructions already, but I don't have access to printer without the local library helping. So Cunard Federal Grey...I'm guessing that is equivalent to a very very dark charcoal grey? I have seen Vallejo 71056 Black Grey

Thanks for that, I'm guessing it came to about £60 posted? I'll look into it on payday also

Checking back, it was GBP £37.16 at the time (12/12/15) with the better exchange rate, and 5.23 for airmail delivery.

Best read the thread for the paint colour debate! The Heller/Airfix kit gives Humbrol Matt Navy Blue M77 & SATIN COAL BLACK at 10:1. 

Edited by clipper
additions
  • Like 1

Nice link Clipper, but there is a plain sheet available somewhere which is just scale planking, iirc it came in 1/700 and either 1/400 or 1/350 scale lasered plank width pattern. Ideal for doing the bits not covered by the dedicated deck sets such as the balconies along the sides of QM2.

• Like 1

Should there not be enough spare on these dedicated Artworx sheets (there's 2 in the packet mind) after use? Probably 4 runs each side of that lower section :-)

1452cca93ac109f487d95f2faf72ff3c.image.9

Edited by clipper
addition
  • Like 1

The trouble with the dedicated sets is that the plank pattern is only on the deck panels themselves,  it would be nice if the pattern continued onto the offcuts too. It doesn't matter how carefully you try to do it Yourself,  you always get a couple that taper and spoil the look.

• Like 1

Though it was using the spare 'left overs' for the wooden top rails we were talking about? The printed lines not required. But obviously they'd have to be stained a wee bit or even varnished, like the originals !

Edited by clipper
changes

• 2 weeks later...

How is this build coming along? I bought one of these myself because of this and Johnny Akes' build. It appears to be a hard kit to find though - especially given how recently it was released

Did you get the PE set? Looking at the sprue shots, they seem like an almost needful addition. Kudos to Revell though for producing some very thin plastic for the railings, but alas, it is still over scaled.

Really looking forward to starting mine but in the mean time, I will be happy to be watching yours come along

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 11:25 AM, Madhatter said:

How is this build coming along? I bought one of these myself because of this and Johnny Akes' build. It appears to be a hard kit to find though - especially given how recently it was released

Did you get the PE set? Looking at the sprue shots, they seem like an almost needful addition. Kudos to Revell though for producing some very thin plastic for the railings, but alas, it is still over scaled.

Really looking forward to starting mine but in the mean time, I will be happy to be watching yours come along

Regards

Simon

I have the Gold Medal Models etched set Hatter, me old chum, it is so beautiful that I'm going to hate cutting it up one day!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jockster said:

I have the Gold Medal Models etched set Hatter, me old chum, it is so beautiful that I'm going to hate cutting it up one day!

yeah nice! I am still waiting for mine to come into stock. I've ordered it, but now it's a waiting game

I would order directly from GMM but their ordering system is way to convoluted for my liking

On 3/8/2017 at 11:25 AM, Madhatter said:

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, the build has stalled at the moment, due to lack of funds for new paint, and lack of time commitments. I'm hoping to get started again in the next week or two. The only difference between what I last posted and up to now, is that I have primed her with white primer.

20170315_115817.jpg

Edited by Markie Smizzle
to upload a picture
  • Like 3

I'm just glad to hear you haven't given up on it.

I'm expecting mine to arrive in the next day or so and I must say, from the images I've seen of this, it is a beautiful looking kit. I really cant wait to start it. I am intending to do full lighting on mine as I think this kit deserves it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madhatter said:

I'm expecting mine to arrive in the next day or so and I must say, from the images I've seen of this, it is a beautiful looking kit. I really cant wait to start it. I am intending to do full lighting on mine as I think this kit deserves it.

Mine would have been a pleasure to build so far, but for it being neglected for so long. Parts have snapped off, some re-attached, some lost to eternity. If not for a lack of time and money at the moment, she would be quite far ahead of where she is now. I've been contemplating the progress of a 1/72 Airfix Harrier GR9 as I have everything I need for that kit, just got put aside as my friend who owns this kit wanted to build it during our friend time lol

12 hours ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Parts have snapped off, some re-attached, some lost to eternity.

Let me know which parts you have lost and I may be able to cast the originals for you from my kit (provided they are not too complex that is).

If it's the railings, I should be able to send you the whole lot as I have the PE set as replacements

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 5:07 AM, Madhatter said:

Would you leave it upside down like in the above pic? Looks like it would make a great looking starship. Not to give you any ideas...:lalala:

• Like 2

On 3/17/2017 at 2:10 AM, Madhatter said:

Let me know which parts you have lost and I may be able to cast the originals for you from my kit (provided they are not too complex that is).

If it's the railings, I should be able to send you the whole lot as I have the PE set as replacements

It's hard to explain, but on the curvature of the stern, there are long oval shaped gaps. There is a link missing. It can be scratch built, but it's still an inconvenience.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:57 AM, Thom216 said:

Would you leave it upside down like in the above pic? Looks like it would make a great looking starship. Not to give you any ideas...:lalala:

Ha, I would but my imagination isn't great this time of year ;)

On 17/02/2017 at 7:09 AM, Markie Smizzle said:

20170216_190110.jpg

Is that the part your referring to? As you say, it should be easy enough to scratch up

I am itching to start mine. Once the PE and wood deck sets arrive, I will be starting it. It's such a beautiful looking ship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madhatter said:

Is that the part your referring to? As you say, it should be easy enough to scratch up

I am itching to start mine. Once the PE and wood deck sets arrive, I will be starting it. It's such a beautiful looking ship

Oh yes, that's the one! I forgot I took a photo of it. My memory is like a sieve 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long absence. Work, life, and trying to get my head into painting this have got in the way of actually building it. I've made some good progress on her in the last few days though, the hull has been fully painted, including the scarlett red paint along the waterline, but that was only because the decal sheet has been creased and may be risky when applying them. 

20170517_153346.jpg

20170517_225742.jpg

20170517_225758.jpg

20170517_225731.jpg

She isn't going to be the best QM2 out there, but she's already a thousand times better than the condition I got her in. I can finally look forward to building the superstructure now and get her looking like a ship

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

How is the build getting along Markie?

You have been doing a great job of turning an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.

I have this kit in my stash after spending an age trying to get hold of one without spending silly money.  Still have my Titanic to finish and a couple of planes.  Hope to start it next year.

On 21/09/2017 at 1:10 PM, BluesModeller said:

How is the build getting along Markie?

You have been doing a great job of turning an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.

I have this kit in my stash after spending an age trying to get hold of one without spending silly money.  Still have my Titanic to finish and a couple of planes.  Hope to start it next year.

Hi B.M, thanks for checking by with your kind comments. Progress has been a little slow lately, but that is because airbrushing this ship takes FOREVER, and the amount of masking required is also like pulling my teeth out.

On a more positive positive, the decks are all now painted, and I'm currently on painting the white parts of the super structure. I've been on the hunt for OHP plastic sheets to use as windows which I'm going to slightly tint black, as to create an illusion of a darker room behind. I'm also about to start the painting of the balconies of said super structure, and as I only get a limited amount of time per week/fortnight to do that, it will be another while before she finally takes shape.

I will post pictures when it starts to resemble QM2, and not as it currently is, as an empty hull painted black, white and red.

I noticed that they were online for about £80? Good luck with your titanic, I have one in 1/400 which I want to light up and have figured on it in water, I haven't a Scooby doo about anything like that so it will be a superbuild for me.