PATTON GOES TO WAR (VIETNAM) - M48A3 1/35 TAMIYA

FrancisGL

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 20:13, PlaStix said:

Very impressive surface work! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thx for your like and kind comment, IHMO believe it to be better, however, you can not yet fully appreciate the detail of the cast of these photos.

Cheers Stix :D

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 20:34, Oliver70 said:

Now that's a cast structure. Can't wait to see it with a coat of good ol' Olive Drab, hehe.

Thx for your kind comment, IHMO believe it to be better, however, you can not yet fully appreciate the detail of the cast of these photos.

I see you indicate that your interests are Red Army Armor 1940-1970, you may be interested in seeing my ISU-152 completed, (watch link below) and later on I have some project that goes into that field.

Cheers Oliver :D

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 03:28, Ripaman said:

Your are bringing this model to life Francis :like:

Regards

Richard

Thx for your kind comment and interest, Is a nice way to understand the assembly of a model, I totally agree with that opinion, although IHMO still has a lot for that, but if you succeed in successfully completing a kit, it is the right thing, a lot of plastic, that In a given moment, happens to be something wonderful and very real (for those of us who like modeling, of course ... lol).

Cheers Richard :D

Update 5:

Hi Pals, we go with some advance in the model. The kit has received a layer of the main color, this time AK, belonging to the basic kit "VIetnam Colors", suitable for the Marines.
In some photos, you can better appreciate the cast effect obtained with Mr.Surfacer.
Starting to apply specific washes in areas, with enamels, to then continue with integral washing with oils.

In the last photo, (despite not being well focused, sorry) you can see the incipient difference between the aspect of the turret (without), and the hull (with), weathering treatment.

Cheers for watch and comment

See you next week...:D

8pnnyHm.jpg

CKio9co.jpg

j1gYqGG.jpg

Yyr2oSh.jpg

nyWr2TK.jpg

OteFHZx.jpg

naM5WNf.jpg

GcIOpZP.jpg

FuPUpJn.jpg

6H17eun.jpg

QNMth04.jpg

gowh4x3.jpg

O8LgLdC.jpg

7IaSWhV.jpg

wHJ7bI5.jpg

jjEsbMv.jpg

lBLoFZM.jpg

VOe2qYc.jpg

4m40hwf.jpg

RNtI5vR.jpg

7XkUwlX.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 6

That's looking great and the surfacer has added that cast effect rather nicely. Very much a case of not too much for a decent effect. I like your hull colouring.

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 18:02, Reilly said:

That's looking great and the surfacer has added that cast effect rather nicely. Very much a case of not too much for a decent effect. I like your hull colouring.

Thx for your like and kind comment, I think this getting a color to my taste ...cheers Reilly :D

That turret truly comes alive, after only one coat of paint :thumbsup: Marvellous job so far, Francis.

I just noticed that you had USMC green in mind, not the standard "Olive Drab" of the army tanks.

P.S.

Of course I saw your ISU, and she's an absolute stunner. Still got her Tamiya sister in my stack, and she's goin' to be soo dirty ;)

Edited by Oliver70
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Oliver70 said:

That turret truly comes alive, after only one coat of paint :thumbsup: Marvellous job so far, Francis.

I just noticed that you had USMC green in mind, not the standard "Olive Drab" of the army tanks.

P.S.

Of course I saw your ISU, and she's an absolute stunner. Still got her Tamiya sister in my stack, and she's goin' to be soo dirty ;)

Thx for your like and kind comments, I hope to see yours someday, cheers Oliver :D

Thank you Francis, for that warm welcome!

If you should be looking for some replacement for the kits' vinyl tracks: I used the T97E2 styrene single links from 'Bronco' for my Revell M48A2 last year.

They come at a modest price (you'll find them for 12-14 Euros a pair), look like a charm and might save you a bit of nerves when painting them, because they have seperate rubbery and steely bits that have to be put together.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the information, it is a good replacement in relation quality / price, but at the moment I think I am going to use these, which although of vinyl, are of Tamiya, and seem quite aceptable.I would like to see your M48, maybe give me some idea how to improve it.

Cheers Oliver :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

I would like to see your M48, maybe give me some idea how to improve it.

I'm sorry about that, Francis, I've got no camera at my disposition right now. So I am not quite able to show it to you in a decent way.

I built my M48A2 as a machine in peacetime condition, well maintained but frequently used. Painted the steel bits reddish brown and added rust pigments. Treated the rubber cushions with a sharp scalpel (Xacto type #2) and broke some odd bits out of it to add some flavour. Taa-daa. So nothing special at all.

The point I way trying to make was, that on those T97E2 are steel rods, rubber cushions and steel links on the in- and outside. There are some photo walkarounds out there that show that composition quite well. You might have a long tedious painting session with the vinyl tracks since those components are moulded together (which obviously is in the nature of the game). Of course it's all up to you and I wish you all the best fun you can have while doing it.

If you choose to do a good old 'Nam weathering, then this will probably disappear under a thick crust of reddish mud, anyway. Problem solved, hooray!

• Like 1

Update 6:

Hi Pals, today I have continued to wash, I am trying to use oils, instead of pigments, and I really like the result.

In principle I have tried a more reddish tone, but I do not like it, and I have tried another brown, which is the one that seems more appropriate.

I painted the canvas of the mantle of the turret, to continue with the placement of the decals, previous use of the corresponding conditioning fluids. The quality of the same IHMO, is quite good, very smooth, so they have been very well adhered to the surface of the cast.

Next, wheels treatment...

Until next week (i hope...)

Thx for watch and comment, mates :D

aYpwpgq.jpg

QjDFIrc.jpg

Wr84XDj.jpg

ChThdtM.jpg

G0IaqnW.jpg

MIs6p3Q.jpg

Tu0jQCo.jpg

CYcWwHW.jpg

52y6lQq.jpg

TQeI6Gy.jpg

duYXxj1.jpg

Cwqs5Oo.jpg

zJ7BSXK.jpg

rcrMUTm.jpg

In this photo, you can see with the clean workbench as it is taking shape ...

KKS5fVT.jpg

xCdYR5w.jpg

7i44zfj.jpg

uNAmuq0.jpg

In this photo, you can see the cast effect better ...

bBLmiKd.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Oliver70 said:

I'm sorry about that, Francis, I've got no camera at my disposition right now. So I am not quite able to show it to you in a decent way.

I built my M48A2 as a machine in peacetime condition, well maintained but frequently used. Painted the steel bits reddish brown and added rust pigments. Treated the rubber cushions with a sharp scalpel (Xacto type #2) and broke some odd bits out of it to add some flavour. Taa-daa. So nothing special at all.

The point I way trying to make was, that on those T97E2 are steel rods, rubber cushions and steel links on the in- and outside. There are some photo walkarounds out there that show that composition quite well. You might have a long tedious painting session with the vinyl tracks since those components are moulded together (which obviously is in the nature of the game). Of course it's all up to you and I wish you all the best fun you can have while doing it.

If you choose to do a good old 'Nam weathering, then this will probably disappear under a thick crust of reddish mud, anyway. Problem solved, hooray!

Do not worry, maybe another time, without a doubt your suggestion is very good, and as the components are separated, you save a lot of time in the painting.
Anyway, with a little skill, the tracks, these concretely, which are quite large, are painted "alone" ... lol, I believe that what I'm going to take more is the drying, because I think to use oils this time .
In principle, although my idea is to make a vehicle in service, I do not think it is "superstuff", because IHMO, I think a lot of painting work is lost under so much weathering ...
Thx for your kind comment and help, cheers Oliver :D

Thx for your like snapper_city, cheers mate :D

Thx for your like MikeR, cheers mate :D

Thx for your follow, eray, cheers mate :D

Thx for your follow, Oliver 70, cheers mate :D

Thx for your follow Reilly, cheers mate :D