PATTON GOES TO WAR (VIETNAM) - M48A3 1/35 TAMIYA

FrancisGL

Looking good Francis, you closed those nasty hole's in the underbelly of your tank very nicely. Compare your choice of build with the Magach build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017162-academy-135-magach-6b/

Check out how the Israeli's developed your subject.

A lineage to be proud of I would think :coolio:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Depending on how I finally stay, you may be encouraged to give it a second chance ..., cheers Reilly :D

I think I might. I've been looking at some pictures of them in Vietnam which offers plenty scope to go mad with adding equipment. Had a poke round the box yesterday and see that age may have weakened the plastic a bit. I'll sit back :popcorn:and see how your one goes. Its looking good so far. 

• Like 1

Hello Francis,

so another Vietnam vet on the bench ;) ... won't you use some metal tracks, the vinyl ones look rather crude, aren't they ?

Your M47 is very nice, the perfect pair with the M48 !!

E

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great start and progress Francis. It's always fascinating seeing these older kits being made. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thx for your like and kind comment, I think that with some skill and appropriate materials, you can still get a good result from them, even if they are not the most accurate ... but if you look like a Patton, and look like a Patton ... he's a Patton ... lol, cheers Stix :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm a bit late to the show. Taking a seat at the back :).

Although it's mostly wingy things for me, I do like a good AFV and like many, have a real soft spot for these old Tamiya 1/35 tanks.

I remember seeing shelves full of them at 'Beatties' shops in the U.K., and wishing that I had more pocket money! 

Great build so far, the kit looks great fun to build and a nice choice of subject :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

Thx for your likes and kind comments, to me as a young man, I also loved / wanted to have them, when I saw the boxes in the shops...

Cheers and welcome aboard...:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Looking good Francis, you closed those nasty hole's in the underbelly of your tank very nicely. Compare your choice of build with the Magach build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017162-academy-135-magach-6b/

Check out how the Israeli's developed your subject.

A lineage to be proud of I would think :coolio:

The pal is putting the level very high, IHMO, his kit seems more current than mine, and is also a very cool model.
I hope not to "punctuate the wheel" and disappoint all, since it seems that despite being a simple and ancient model, you are all showing a great interest (which I sincerely appreciate, of course).

Cheers Julian :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reilly said:

I think I might. I've been looking at some pictures of them in Vietnam which offers plenty scope to go mad with adding equipment. Had a poke round the box yesterday and see that age may have weakened the plastic a bit. I'll sit back :popcorn:and see how your one goes. Its looking good so far. 

Thx for your kind comment, and your follow, cheers Reilly :D

17 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hello Francis,

so another Vietnam vet on the bench ;) ... won't you use some metal tracks, the vinyl ones look rather crude, aren't they ?

Your M47 is very nice, the perfect pair with the M48 !!

E

Yep, vinyl tracks don't are better option, but you must think , kit M48 cost me 22€, i believe, one metal tracks sure cost more...:D, and by other way, it's very hard to me get some metal tracks, Friuls, on website only admit pay with Paypal, and don´t like me.

If you know of a serious and responsable store that has metal tracks (don't matter Brand) in Europe, please let me know.

Thx for your like and kind comment, cheers Etienne :D

• Like 1

Looking good so far!

AFV Club tracks 35005 are a good replacement set. They are a bit tedious to assemble, but look great on the model. 

These tanks were limited in their use due to terrain issues in VietNam. Lots of times they sat partially dug in, as makeshift CP's and direct fire infantry support. 

All the gear piled on had a purpose. The turret itself was particularly vulnerable to RPG rounds. That's why you see track links and sandbags all over the turret.in period photos, Another oft overlooked detail is a roll of chain link fencing and poles. This was erected around or in front of the tank at night. It was a crude "stand off" armor system for RPG fire as well. All the food cans, coolers, ration boxes and gear was actually strategically placed in and around the turret bustle rack for the same reason.

Watching this closely!

G

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Yep, vinyl tracks don't are better option, but you must think , kit M48 cost me 22€, i believe, one metal tracks sure cost more...:D, and by other way, it's very hard to me get some metal tracks, Friuls, on website only admit pay with Paypal, and don´t like me.

If you know of a serious and responsable store that has metal tracks (don't matter Brand) in Europe, please let me know.

Thx for your like and kind comment, cheers Etienne :D

FrancisGL, there also the option of AFV Club workable tracks as suggested by AgentG and they are around 15€ I think ... not too bad and a real upgrade ;)

As for the dealer, you can try Passion132 in Belgium or Modelbau Koenig in Germany ... 

E

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

I meant to say that it is interesting to see how the basic tank developed from the Viet Nam type into the Magach.

Keep up the good work mate,

Julian :yes:

Do not worry, I thought you meant that precisely, because the change in the model is obvious, but anyway, thank you very much for the clarification.
Thank you for your interest and support.

Cheers Juian :D

51 minutes ago, AgentG said:

Looking good so far!

AFV Club tracks 35005 are a good replacement set. They are a bit tedious to assemble, but look great on the model. 

These tanks were limited in their use due to terrain issues in VietNam. Lots of times they sat partially dug in, as makeshift CP's and direct fire infantry support. 

All the gear piled on had a purpose. The turret itself was particularly vulnerable to RPG rounds. That's why you see track links and sandbags all over the turret.in period photos, Another oft overlooked detail is a roll of chain link fencing and poles. This was erected around or in front of the tank at night. It was a crude "stand off" armor system for RPG fire as well. All the food cans, coolers, ration boxes and gear was actually strategically placed in and around the turret bustle rack for the same reason.

Watching this closely!

G

Thx for your like, kind comment, and notes on the model, in principle I plan to put the equipment that brings the kit, and add something more as I see how it is ...

Cheers G. :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Etienne said:

FrancisGL, there also the option of AFV Club workable tracks as suggested by AgentG and they are around 15€ I think ... not too bad and a real upgrade ;)

As for the dealer, you can try Passion132 in Belgium or Modelbau Koenig in Germany ... 

E

Thx for advice, i watch webs, may be a good option, cheer E.

Update 04:

Hi Pals, this time, I applied MR.Surfacer 500 to the turret and hull, for the improvement of the cast, for once dry, sand it to make it more authentic.
Applied primer base, without major problems..

Soon (I would like to...:rage:) more progress.

Thx for watch and comment, cheers mates :D

M7Fe4Kv.jpg

hdPrltY.jpg

iH2wk6E.jpg

ZB0zrZA.jpg

1Dqi10h.jpg

fF2JviZ.jpg

5QAtH6f.jpg

qVdWwzV.jpg

Gy6xMoJ.jpg

JVH0eO6.jpg

• Like 9