Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Well hi everyone!

 

my builds are mainly focused on little planes with roundels on and mostly from the ETO/MTO, however I got sent some Transfers in an exchange from a lovely chap in Chicago... you may know him? Procopius is his name and he kindly offered to send some mozzie transfers in exchange for a set of Hampden ones i had. i was surprised to find a number of other sets it the envelope for B-24's that flew in the SEA theatre, what a nice guy! so Mr P consider this for you and your growing family...

 

since getting them I have really wanted to build the below

 

32085149773_2f8d674618_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

I mean who wouldnt?! its got a massive sharks mouth! I have been hunting for an affordable lib kit ever since.... so while taking a jaunt round Telford with CedB i noticed a bargain, as Ced said they are bargains for a reason, and this ones reason appears to be its bomb aiming window is short shot...

 

 32746311922_1a9d4ab8be_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

Not an issue as the front turret is also the wrong type and the astro dome needs moving forward to the nose, so I bought the squadron vac form set which should sort all my issues!? Its winging its way to from hannats as we speak and should be here tomorrow!

 

Anyway, I have 'Balls out' to finish, the revell P-47 and a wild cat that's nearly there, so once they have been sorted i will start this.... wish me luck as its a bit of beast, and its my first four engined bomber in some time!

 

I will get shots up of the kit and extras once I start this.... if anyone has any watch outs about the kit then please let me know!

 

Rob.

 

P.s. I think i may have a SEA phase coming up....

 

32859336096_da2a79eadd_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Edited by rob85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck! :popcorn:  You're brush painting this, aren't you? Once more, good luck! 

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, giemme said:

Good luck! :popcorn:  You're brush painting this, aren't you? Once more, good luck! 

 

Ciao

Lol, yes.... but have just bought a bigger brush.... :) 

 

(i think i will spray the white :) )

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rob85 said:

(i think i will spray the white :) )

Wise man ... :winkgrin:  :D 

 

Ciao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An Airbrush is a very useful tool and not that hard to use,  if you keep it clean.  Best of luck with the kit.

 

Stephen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found you! Good luck Rob, I'm sure you'll do a great job :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a gorgeous colour scheme.....This is going to look truly lovely when it's done.  B)

 

Good luck with the whopping great shark-mouth.....I don't like those things half as much as I used to!  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What a gorgeous colour scheme.....This is going to look truly lovely when it's done.  B)

 

Good luck with the whopping great shark-mouth.....I don't like those things half as much as I used to!  :unsure:

I can imagine you don't after your Iraqi troubles!!

 

cheers

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four-engined bomber and a big sharkmouth?

Sounds like a promising plan!

Looking forward to the finished example :angel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Looking forward to the finished example :angel:

I'm looking forward to the build process. Not exactly sure which kit you are using, but :popcorn:

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm looking forward to the build process. Not exactly sure which kit you are using, but :popcorn:

 

Regards,

Adrian

It's basically the academy kit, external detail looks nice. I will get pictures up tonight now the jug is out the way!

 

Rob

44 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Four-engined bomber and a big sharkmouth?

Sounds like a promising plan!

Looking forward to the finished example :angel:

 

Christer I am sure I have seen you finish a build....just not all of them yet :) 

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what i was worried about! its molded in white plastic... All i will need to do is paint the grey on top and whack the transfers on :)

 

32899901756_d3ef2d73d5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

32097012274_c9f48fd3f3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

32125751203_1ccd87d7db_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

the detail looks pretty good to me, but the flash is fairly prolific, nothing that cant be sorted carefully mind.

 

this is not so go!

 

32940566765_4cf40c9577_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

the rest is fine however wont be used as all but the rear and top turret with be replaced by vacforms.

 

the transfer sheet is below, a few used in Mr P (very nice! ) B-24 build.

 

32786777042_b948d46a10_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

So far all I have done is google B-24 interiors which appear to be a mix of Bronze and interior greens, so I have painted it green and will use a lighter shade to bring out the detail once assembled and paint the anti slip mats further back (CP doesn't appear to have any?? )

 

32941122445_4ec2f39447_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

Cheers all

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the Academy kit is a good one, the best one before the Hasegawa came in, but that's another story and price!!!!. I guess that's why Eduard took this one for their line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I think I've finally caught up to your current build now Rob. This is a great project, can't wait to see how it progresses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to catch up  with you with both your Balls Out and the Wildcat Rob (;)), but I'm fortunately here for page one of this one. 

 

You have some very nice books there in the first post :thumbsup2: .

 

If we really wanted to do a full BM 'maximum use' and swap more of the decal sheet, I can think of someone feline quite nearby, that could use the RAAF option :whistle:....

 

Good luck with this four engined beastie, it's a lovely paint scheme and looks like a really nice kit :).

 

All the best

TonyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ok, I think I've finally caught up to your current build now Rob. This is a great project, can't wait to see how it progresses.

Welcome along cookie, glad you have caught up with me!

 

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I need to catch up  with you with both your Balls Out and the Wildcat Rob (;)), but I'm fortunately here for page one of this one. 

 

You have some very nice books there in the first post :thumbsup2: .

 

If we really wanted to do a full BM 'maximum use' and swap more of the decal sheet, I can think of someone feline quite nearby, that could use the RAAF option :whistle:....

 

Good luck with this four engined beastie, it's a lovely paint scheme and looks like a really nice kit :).

 

All the best

TonyT

 

Tony, you should really pop along to my balls out build, it's great... :) wildcat less so but the martlet before it was nice!

 

If you require the transfers my friend just name them, I won't be building another in a hurry! PM me your address and I will  post them to you and PM you a pic of the paint instructions (not too challenging it's completely silver! ).... I am aware you don't live in the U.K, that is no matter...

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

What an attractive scheme! Any more on the history? Were these ex-RAF Coastal Liberators?

 

Will

To be honest I don't know! But that won't stop me finding out.... I just saw the sharks mouth and that it was Dutch (I like the Dutch) and thought it was a winner

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rob85 said:

To be honest I don't know! But that won't stop me finding out.... I just saw the sharks mouth and that it was Dutch (I like the Dutch) and thought it was a winner

 

Rob

 

Just done the same! Found this:

 

http://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=712:consolidated-b-24d-a-j-liberator-uk&catid=84&lang=en&Itemid=546&showall=&limitstart=1

 

Good luck with the build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2017 at 3:57 PM, rob85 said:

P.s. I think i may have a SEA phase coming up....

 

32859336096_da2a79eadd_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

 

Darwin Spitfires is an incredible book. One of the best I've read on air fighting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

Darwin Spitfires is an incredible book. One of the best I've read on air fighting. 

 

It's a whole lot less 'shooty', and probably not in print anymore, but Thomas, G. "Eyes for the Phoenix: Allied Aerial Photo-Reconnaissance Operations South East Asia" (Hikoki 1999) is a fantastic collection of stories, photos and colour profiles. Enough to keep a modeller going for years! Plenty of Dutch subjects in there too...

 

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Procopius said:

 

Darwin Spitfires is an incredible book. One of the best I've read on air fighting. 

 

I have just started reading Darwin spitfires first, I think I might end up building some spitfires after that you know....

 

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

 

It's a whole lot less 'shooty', and probably not in print anymore, but Thomas, G. "Eyes for the Phoenix: Allied Aerial Photo-Reconnaissance Operations South East Asia" (Hikoki 1999) is a fantastic collection of stories, photos and colour profiles. Enough to keep a modeller going for years! Plenty of Dutch subjects in there too...

 

Will

 

Cheers Will I will keep my eyes peeled for it. Also cheers for the link on the Dutchies and their libs! Really useful! 

 

What is not so useful is the squadron canopy (nicely detailed mind) only has the top of the turret, which isn't very helpful as I need the whole turret!! 

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also rather looking forward to the James Holland book as I loved his fortress Malta book

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...