Dutch B-24

rob85

yes i am building lots of spitfires but i have not ignored my giant flying shark!

she got closed up for a dry fitting first (mustang for scale! )

33123974586_ba02d30d95_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33037990471_517f8d0edb_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then sealed up for good!

33009115552_9ebe043b62_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

tape still on while it drys as it was a bugger to line something this big up.

then i have been sanding and polishing sanding a polishing and milliputing! the seem on this is tough work and could still do with more. the bomb bay doors went on fine and just needed i little sanding to make them flush.

33232793286_e3ba3cf531_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

so after more sanding and polishing here's where she sits

(whats one of these)

33210979241_204778a8e6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(a dead one of these)

33210979211_e9f71bab85_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Still more work

33183682362_a15df63775_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33210979471_d5b41dcbfe_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

thanks to pete i have all the turrets i need now just need to build the nose for it to sit in and clean it up a little!

see you soon

Rob

• Like 8

Like I said in my other build giemme quantity over quality...bigger and more doesn't = talent

cheers jaffacake (don't think it's fair to shorten that to Jaffa...) I was worried she would turn out a mess, still needs some work and I need to steel myself for the building of the nose and re building of the turret... see above comment on talent, this may still end up a mess

Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Like I said in my other build giemme quantity over quality...bigger and more doesn't = talent

cheers jaffacake (don't think it's fair to shorten that to Jaffa...) I was worried she would turn out a mess, still needs some work and I need to steel myself for the building of the nose and re building of the turret... see above comment on talent, this may still end up a mess

Rob

You can call me Jaffa, any rude connotations have been swept under the carpet haha

• Like 1

Good stuff Rob, she's looking good - I like those thin fins.

The fuselage seams stand out in the photos - I guess it's paint but worth a check in case. I hate seams on things like this; they really show up under the paint. I use Stew's finger nail test and then curse if I feel a dent or ridge anywhere. Horrid.

• Like 2

I often use the finger nail test too for seams, but if I really want to be sure about how I filled one, I drag a pencil (a regular one) across it: even coverage means the seam has gone, otherwise it needs more TLC.

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

That's come on quick. On to the fun bit now- building and masking all those turrets...

Just while it occurs to me, I wonder whether any ex-RAF roundel or code markings were visible as painted out 'ghosts' on these airframes, or did the Dutch markings completely cover them over?

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

That's come on quick. On to the fun bit now- building and masking all those turrets...

Just while it occurs to me, I wonder whether any ex-RAF roundel or code markings were visible as painted out 'ghosts' on these airframes, or did the Dutch markings completely cover them over?

Will

Well now you've said that Will I will have to find out! :) 

On 18-2-2017 at 11:44 AM, rob85 said:

Well Andre (sorry for calling you Andy, not that I have anything against Andy or Andrews, some of my best friends are Andy') I look forward to your build of it :) 

you seam rather keen on Dutch subjects, is there a reason or just the float your boat?

Rob

Perhaps being Dutch has something to do with it. ;)

Nice work so far!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hook said:

Perhaps being Dutch has something to do with it. ;)

Nice work so far!

Cheers,

Andre

I thought that might be the case, I like Dutch subject as my best friend worked there for 5 years and I loved visiting him, and a family he met on a holiday and saw every year from age 10... so I have a soft spot for them

Rob

37 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I thought that might be the case, I like Dutch subject as my best friend worked there for 5 years and I loved visiting him, and a family he met on a holiday and saw every year from age 10... so I have a soft spot for them

Rob

Yeah, some of us aren't too shabby.  ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Right, I bought lots of stuff to scratch build the home for the nose turret and the nose turret it's self... however I have hit a snag! The vacform bomb amiers window is the wrong shape... and I don't mean a little bit, it's completely the wrong curvature and does not match the body at all. I think I made a mistake buying the squadron set, maybe I bought the wrong one or maybe it's just wrong who knows.

anyway this build is on hold while I think about my options (yes vacforming my own is one but let's not get too silly!)

Rob 

47 minutes ago, rob85 said:

anyway this build is on hold while I think about my options (yes vacforming my own is one but let's not get too silly!)

That'd be interesting to watch, though. Hope you find the right way soon :thumbsup2: 

Ciao

• Like 1

21 hours ago, giemme said:

That'd be interesting to watch, though. Hope you find the right way soon :thumbsup2: 

Ciao

Wouldn't have expected that from you :) 

it may end up being my only option... this is all getting dangerously close to proper modelling! Please prepare yourselves to be let down...

Rob

• Like 2

Hello Rob.

It might be worth looking at the lists for both the Squadron sets for B-24 and full Falcon sets for USAAF etc at:

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/

I've emailed them in the past and had helpful replies quite quickly too.

There are a few different B-24 canopies etc there, it may be just that yours isn't the right one. You could always sell yours or swap it for something with someone here on BM, if the right set is available.

I hope you find a way around it, it was going so well :shrug:!

Also, I'm going to be sending you something Dutch themed in a week's time, it was in storage and arrives with a couple of boxes of stuff here next Thursday, then off to you ;)

It's not a lump of waxy cheese.... 🧀 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Rob.

It might be worth looking at the lists for both the Squadron sets for B-24 and full Falcon sets for USAAF etc at:

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/

I've emailed them in the past and had helpful replies quite quickly too.

There are a few different B-24 canopies etc there, it may be just that yours isn't the right one. You could always sell yours or swap it for something with someone here on BM, if the right set is available.

I hope you find a way around it, it was going so well :shrug:!

Also, I'm going to be sending you something Dutch themed in a week's time, it was in storage and arrives with a couple of boxes of stuff here next Thursday, then off to you ;)

It's not a lump of waxy cheese.... 🧀 

All the best

TonyT

That is a good call Tony and one I shall follow up thanks!

dutch you say, hmmm, sounds cryptic and very exciting.... similarly I have a package ready to go for your good self, with a little gift in addition to the transfers.... it's not a kit as I know you are looking to thin down. 

Rob

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2017 at 3:09 PM, tonyot said:

I have a few RAF Libs planned myself for the future plus a RCAF Coastal Lib with a huge face painted on the nose. ,

So that's what that case of Hasegawa Libs you have squirreled away is for! (You're going to need a bigger brush, methinks!) 😜

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1