Boultbee Spitfire TR-9 SM520, G-ILDA.

KB78

Hi all,

I'm a long time admirer of the work displayed here & have taken ALOT of inspiration from the astonishing work posted. I've only ever built 1:20 F1 Cars & "thought" that an Aircraft would be pretty similar........I was wrong! Pre-shading, Post-shading, Weathering all things I'd never had to deal with before, so I'm very grateful to have had your work to refer to. 

I'd wanted to build a Spitfire for a while & thought that G-ILDA would make a good subject. I started by using the 1:48 Brigade TR-9 Resin kit but felt that the Hasegawa Kit it was designed for seemed a little, basic. So I complicated things by using the beautiful Eduard 1:48 Spitfire & having to file, Sand & fill just about every joint & mating surface in order to make it all fit. As if that Wasn't enough I was determined to add the stunning Eduard Merlin too. This caused Headache after Headache & although the Bodywork/Cowl still need work it's vastly better than it was! The Forward Cockpit is the Brassin upgrade set & the Rear is the "original" standard Cockpit chopped around. Eduard three spoke Wheels were also added. Nothing about this is standard & although it still needs work, it's pretty much completed. Weathering has been kept to an absolute minimum simply because SM520 is so beautifully maintained, if anything the Exhaust Soot I've added is a little on the heavy side. I used Windsor & Acrylic Varnish mixed to my own taste (the Matt was TOO Matt, the Satin TOO Glossy, so it was a suck it & see approach). Anyway it's taken about 18 Months (on & off) hope that you enjoy. Thanks for looking. 

DSCF7020

(10) DSCF3308

(9) DSCF3303

(8) DSCF3320

(7) DSCF3335

(6) DSC04223

(5) DSCF3329

(4) DSCF3328

(3) DSCF3327

(2) DSCF3310

(1) DSCF3326

• Like 29

I can see your point of view & beauty is very much in the Eye of the beholder. But, that rear Cockpit has made an awful lot of dreams come true, if that isn't beautiful, what is? I've become very fond of it :lol:  (P.s Thanks for replying, was a bit nervous about putting this out for all the World to see). 

That is a real beauty.

I'm hoping that a lot of my models will be faithful copies of real ones flying today and you've captured SM520 beautifully.

Well done. Not easy when a real subject is being modelled.

That's superb :thumbsup2: !

I have problems with display space, so 1/72 is more usual for me. I would like to model this one perhaps using the AZ kit as a base in 1/72.

There's absolutely no way I could do it this kind of justice; the engine compartment looks amazing. The exhausts are superbly portrayed, as is the framework, in fact, the whole thing!

As they used to say on 'The Fast Show'; 'It's Brilliant!'

:goodjob: 

TonyT

On 15/02/2017 at 11:31 AM, Newbie(kinda) said:

Ooooh, I'm torn. Lovely build of a really ugly looking Spit!! But seriously, great finish, excellent model (it's just those 2 cockpits...!!).

Oi! What's this ugly Spit bit, no such thing, just some are slightly less beautiful than others. :) I really like the 2 seaters, & to my eye, this one looks pretty ace.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
spelling on not so smart phone.
  • Like 1

What a great model, gives me a headache just thinking about the work you've put into it.

I live in a small village called Sutton, about 10 mins North of Goodwood.  We're fortunate to see this Spitfire regularly during the summer, tearing around the sky above the South Downs. Even the dog can recognise the sound of the Merlin before we do, she leaps around the garden like a Springbok which usually alerts us, although sometimes it's a Chinook from Odiham.

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm glad that you like it. There were certainly times when I thought 

"Uh oh, oh no, WHAT have I done!!??"

Like having to thin down the Fuselage so much that in places it was translucent, or chopping off the entire Resin Tail section to replace it entirely with the Eduard Plastic version (thankfully the point of the cut/joint was cross sectionally almost identical in both size & profile). BUT your kind comments prove that it's all been worth it. Your collective seal of approval on this really has been the "Cherry on the Cake" of a very special day when I had a Dream come true.   

As for Doug Rogers living near Goodwood & frequently seeing her, it never stops being special does it!? I know how much I miss the Grace (ML407) since it moved away to Northampton in '15.

Anyway, once again MANY thanks for your comments, inspiration & Tutoring. This aeronautical stuff is Nothing like Shiny, Carbon, immaculate F1 at ALL! :D    

• Like 1