`Carolyns Folly`, A-1E Skyraider, Air Commando`s

Hi Everyone,

Thought I`d show you some pic`s of my very latest effort, yet another attempt at making Matchbox`s finest into something resembling a `Fat Faced Spad`

r8mVTOE.jpg

Finished to represent an A-1E of the 602nd Air Commando Squadron, based at Bien Hoa Air Base, South Vietnam in the early/mid 1960`s

soDBU5x.jpg

Made quite a few improvements, including: widening the propeller blades, reshaping the cowl front, ignition harness, vent on the fin leading edge, wing fences at the wing trailing edge,......

s9MhWnF.jpg

steps on the fuselage, static whips on the rudder, much work on the undercarriage and wheel wells, tarted the seats up, a little detail in the `blue room`, aerials, made a windscreen wiper...

eyUMBiO.jpg

and cowling shutters ( that you can barely see ). All were made from scratch, I did get an old Monogram one with the intention of robbing it, but decided to build it instead ( coming soon !)

1jqcBIC.jpg

the weapons all came from the stash and I tried to recreate a fairly common load for the plane and time frame

hq3WXeM.jpg

The decals came from Caracal Decals set CD48046

n2BFik9.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

Hi Russ!

Another great and inspiring build. Have two of the 1/72 Revell/Monogram Skyraiders in the stash and I´m planning to do a Bernard Fisher plane from one of the kits.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CaracalModels said:

Beautiful! I hope you liked the decals and found them easy to use.

Yeah they`re great, it`s actually the second Skyraider I`ve done with them ( I did the South Vietnamese one with the `Club` marking on the side and revamped my Bronco with the Bronco set you did ), they go on well and have some good choices on the sheets.

Cheers Russ

Another lovely build there Russ.  I have 2 of the smaller scale in the stash and will be picking up the Caracal decal sheet too.

One thing I have always wondered is what is actually in the 'Blue Room' - was it configured on a per mission basis or pretty much empty all the time?

I am actually reading 'Cheating Death' by George Marrett at the moment, I would highly recommend it for those interested in Skyraider adventures!!

Do you have all your completed models on show?

Phil

• Like 1

Cheers Phil, in the case of an Air Commando`s plane such as the one I`ve built it would be pretty much empty, I`ve only seen one photo which showed some tie down points on the floor like a cargo aircraft and some upholstery on the sidewalls ( sound proofing or flack curtains? ) otherwise it depends on what version or mission. some were filled with electrical gubbin`s ( night attack ), stretchers, extra seats etc.

Some of my models are on some shelves at the top of the stairs, some are in the attic, sometimes I swap them round.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks to everyone for looking and positive feedback, appreciated

• Like 1

A terrific looking Skyraider and great photography, as ever.  Is this really a Matchbox kit?  They really deserve to be around today.  Mind you, it looks like you've put a lot of effort in to updating the kit.

• Like 1