S&M Viscount improvements

Viking

The difference being that you get some finished Ian.

I'm constantly changing my mind regarding the liveries but have settled on a few of them. I'll keep you guessing for the most part but Dan Air,TWA, Eagle Air and BOAC are all confirmed. As to which livery will be applied to a particular airfame the I'll let you guys decide.

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This'll be new territory for Chris - not only has it got wings, it's got paint on! :P

vis12_zpshcjm0egw.jpg

Halfords appliance white, my own mix of Tamiya 'Royal Light Grey' lightend with a lot of white. The BCAL Viscount had very shiny cowlings so I used Vallejo Metal colour chrome. I'm not certain how far back the leading edge bare metal went, It is really hard to see from photos. I've done what I think is right. And I'm not going to change it!

vis13_zpsrx3vezvd.jpg

vis14_zpslc0udv87.jpg

As the decals are laser, they are bound to be somewhat translucent. It is vital to get the demarcation between the white and light grey as accurate as possible. I used a photocopy of the decal sheet to lay over tape and cut a mask by following the bottom edge of the cheatline with a new blade. The result is what i hope is the 2 colours separated at the right place.

vis15_zps9v744x2k.jpg

I'm building too many things at the moment, and recently returned to this, which has been lounging around on the back of the bench while I try to figure out how to do the markings. The Welsh model decal sheet only has the Dan Air titles and logos, all the cheatlines and cowling stripes will have to be painted. I think I've figured out a way to do it though. Once the Viscount (and A320, Tristar, 1-11, TSR-2, Embraer 195, and Rapide, are done, I'll crack on with it. theres a lot of work gone into it to get this far).

vis16_zpso1b6vgqn.jpg

So many models, so little time!

Thansk for looking,

John

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Viking said:

This'll be new territory for Chris - not only has it got wings, it's got paint on! :P

So many models, so little time!

Thansk for looking,

John

Smartarse!!!!! At least I can spell. 

• Like 2

Getting the decals on now! Being laser printed they are somewhat translucent, so you have to be careful about getting the colour demarcation right between the white and pale grey. In the picture below I have slid the wet decal onto the fuselage, and for the purpose of illustrating the point, nudged it down a bit at the front door so that the bottom edeg is the grey area. See how it chages the colour of the yellow band. I quicky re-aligned the decal after taking the photo.

It is only really light colours that you have be careful with, had it been a dark colour the effect wouldn't have been so dramatic, and probably not noticeable.

vis17_zpsibwckiyj.jpg

All nicely aligned now;

vis19_zpsdytlk6t5.jpg

I think that there is a small problem with the alignment of the front door, it a touch too far back. The thing was that the yellow band curves up from the front edge of the  nose bay doors, so that it how i masked the white/grey infterface. The decal had to go where it presently sits. If I had moved it forwards, then there would have been an area of white between the yellow and the grey. Anyway, I didn't notice until it had all dried. It is not too bad, but certainly the door could do with being a few mm forwards of its present position. The rear door is spot on though. I really like the windows, they have a proper '3d' realistic effect.

vis22_zpsyd4qfc8g.jpg

vis18_zpsqbgnvbnr.jpg

vis20_zpsi1n47bvt.jpg

Next job is to apply the 'detail' set of panel lines.to the wings, nacelles, and tailplanes.

Thansk for looking,

John

• Like 5

I'm going to call this finished now. I think the nose looks a lot better for having been reshaped.

There is a bit of a problem with line up of the decals though. The front door an windows look to me like they should all be further forward. However, if I did that, then the part of the yellow on the the cheatline that curves down would be too far forward. Also the blue in front of the cockpit would npt meet correctly.

This shows what I mean  scroll down a little to see a side view.

If I was doing this again, I would cut the cheatline in front of both doors, remove about 5mm from the part immeadiately in front of the forward door, slide the door & windows section forwards, and place the cut off in front of the rear door, as that seems to be in the right place.

Still. I'm reasonably happy with it, and I would say that the 'Detail' set of decals are essential as they really improve the look of the model

The Reshaped nose;
vis24_zps1arljklq.jpg

vis28_zpsjtq85o8j.jpg

The Viscount detail set from 26 Decals.

vis31_zpsiimshv7w.jpg

And after application;

vis26_zpsudssawpy.jpg

Would I do this again? certainly! I've already got one lined up;

vis32_zpsmbsd9zry.jpg

More in Ready for Inspection.

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 2

Hi John,

I think it should be compulsory to do these mods and apply the detail decals to the S&M Viscount model! Such a dramatic improvement. Maybe it's just me but do you think the nose gear could be shortened just a smidge? I wouldn't notice the door being off though.

Looking forward to the BMA Viscount, I'm working on the same thing at the moment too. I always like the curtains on Nick's Viscount decals!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Maybe it's just me but do you think the nose gear could be shortened just a smidge?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

No it's not just you! I thought the same once I'd looked at the pictures. You see things in stills that you don't see in real life, it had a slight nose up attitude.

I've nipped a couple of mil out of the noseleg & reset it.

Before;

vis24_zps1arljklq.jpg

After. Sorry the pic quality is not so good, I've lost natural daylight now, but is shows the subtle difference.

Note the distance between the top of the nosewheel and the wheelbay door.

vis33_zpssakrnjcy.jpg

Another mod to add to the list, shorten the noseleg by a couple of mm!

Cheers

John

Well worth the extra work to make a rather nice silk purse from what was originally a sow's ear.

Like the choices of colour scheme for this and the next off the production line John.

Chris.