Trumpeter 155mm AS90 Howitzer

Hi again everyone.

After the build of the Revell Pirate Ship, I felt like going back to doing something military again. Among my kits I had the Trumpeter British 155mm AS90 Howitzer so decided to go for that. On the whole I'm warming to other manufacturers as some seem to do as well a job as Revell usually do. it's quite a good kit to build, minimal flashing of parts and there is a lot of nice details. I bought the photo etch for it to just to add those very small details. I followed the tips already provided on other members builds to lessen the chance of errors and below are my attempt. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking.

More pictures, including the build pictures, can be found HERE.

How11 How12 How13 How14 How18 How21 How25 How27 P1080620 P1080613

Edited by ukmodeller
additional picture update
  • Like 13

Great build and tidy paint job of a mean looking gun. I  think these are amongst the noisy gits we can hear firing on Salisbury Plain from 45 miles away when the wind is blowing in the right direction?

Now, I notice that photo stuck inside the rear hatch.  Trying to scratchbuild an accurate interior would be beyond my skills but if I had a photo (or 3) of the interior, I'd think about setting about them with a scalpel and cutting them up into foreground, middle ground and background and producing a layered 3D effect? Just an idea for future reference maybe?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb build and finish,I've eyed this kit up at my LMS for a future build this may swing it,great stuff!

Thanks Steve

I'd definately give this one a go. It is a nice relaxed build and there are plenty of options for creating scenes as there are so many hatches and storage doors to leave in the open position with a little modding.

I may look at this again in the future for that purpose.

13 hours ago, Badder said:

Great build and tidy paint job of a mean looking gun. I  think these are amongst the noisy gits we can hear firing on Salisbury Plain from 45 miles away when the wind is blowing in the right direction?

Now, I notice that photo stuck inside the rear hatch.  Trying to scratchbuild an accurate interior would be beyond my skills but if I had a photo (or 3) of the interior, I'd think about setting about them with a scalpel and cutting them up into foreground, middle ground and background and producing a layered 3D effect? Just an idea for future reference maybe?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder.

I studied some video's of this before I started and the way the real one rocked on its suspension when it fires is just amazing. Would like to see what would happen if someone left the handbrake off. As for being on the receiving end of one of those shells, well........................

Great idea about the interior. There is plenty of space for doing that. Would be even better with a small LED inside too. As for scratch building the interior, here is a picture of the interior for the real thing, but I think you'd have to see inside and take a lot of pictures to do it (unless you had first hand knowledge of working one of these).  I don't think it would be beyond your skills Badder.

as90_03_zpsnyenwtuu.jpg

• Like 1

Nice build and like your idea for the interior, have this one in my stash so thanks for posting and giving me some inspiration.

Cheers Dave.

8 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks Badder.

I studied some video's of this before I started and the way the real one rocked on its suspension when it fires is just amazing. Would like to see what would happen if someone left the handbrake off. As for being on the receiving end of one of those shells, well........................

Great idea about the interior. There is plenty of space for doing that. Would be even better with a small LED inside too. As for scratch building the interior, here is a picture of the interior for the real thing, but I think you'd have to see inside and take a lot of pictures to do it (unless you had first hand knowledge of working one of these).  I don't think it would be beyond your skills Badder.

as90_03_zpsnyenwtuu.jpg

I couldn't scratch build that with any accuracy!:blink:

Back in my youth I once attended a tattoo at Larkhll, and watched a line of five Abbot SPGs each knocking out a target on a hilltop 2.5miles away. Obviously they can fire much further, but then us spectators wouldn't have been able to see the near simultaneous hits! Amazing to watch, and hear, but then I've seen Motorhead many times and Motorhead were WAY louder!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DWC1968 said:

Nice build and like your idea for the interior, have this one in my stash so thanks for posting and giving me some inspiration.

Cheers Dave.

Thanks Dave.

Really glad that you found it useful. I get most of my idea's from what others have done or posted and adapt their idea's into my builds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badder said:

I couldn't scratch build that with any accuracy!:blink:

Back in my youth I once attended a tattoo at Larkhll, and watched a line of five Abbot SPGs each knocking out a target on a hilltop 2.5miles away. Obviously they can fire much further, but then us spectators wouldn't have been able to see the near simultaneous hits! Amazing to watch, and hear, but then I've seen Motorhead many times and Motorhead were WAY louder!

Rearguards,

Badder

I know what you mean about the detail.  I tend to stick to stuff that I know about but most of that is based on my youth or what I can find on the Internet. I like a challenge though.

Alas, down here on the south coast we don't get much in the way of military shows (except air shows) and being the only male in a family of women it's hard to get any family interest.

Motorhead? Amazing. I saw Status Quo at Shepherds Bush in the 70's and went deaf for two weeks afterwards. Seen them many times but they've toned it down a little now. Went on to seeing Saxon, Rainbow, ACDC and Queen. No problem with the hearing with them :lalala:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That really is a very impressive beast. Great paintwork and finish. Very well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix.

Appreciate the comments and glad you joined me on this build. I think I'm getting used to the airbrushing now..........

2 hours ago, sonofjim said:

Great looking build sir , I really like the idea of the photo .It's a very novel approach and shows thinking outside the box .

Very well done indeed .

Thanks Jim

Appreciate the kind comments as always.

I wanted to have the rear hatch open as it shows a lot of the detail on the inside of the door and it seemed a shame to hide it.

Rather than just having a black hole to look into, I came up with the idea of the picture. I wish I had thought of Badders idea above about creating a 3D effect though.

Nice build, looks fantastic nice to see a serving artillery piece being built. I like what you have done with the interior, as Badder says living 45 miles away from Salisbury plain and his windows rattle. I live meters away and my whole house rattles.

• Like 1

Great job, I'm just finishing one of these off. As an ex-gunner I've got a soft spot for artillery especially British kit. I love the photo in the rear door, I sadly did mine closed due to the lack of an interior, what a great idea. That photo etch is seriously fiddly stuff, I have to admit not all of it made it on to the kit. A lovely example well done!

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice build, looks fantastic nice to see a serving artillery piece being built. I like what you have done with the interior, as Badder says living 45 miles away from Salisbury plain and his windows rattle. I live meters away and my whole house rattles.

Thanks Ozzy. Appreciate your comments.

It's a pity that there is not more modern British military stuff available in 1:35 scale. Most of it is American or German. Shame that Airfix is not into producing larger scale kits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wagtail said:

Great job, I'm just finishing one of these off. As an ex-gunner I've got a soft spot for artillery especially British kit. I love the photo in the rear door, I sadly did mine closed due to the lack of an interior, what a great idea. That photo etch is seriously fiddly stuff, I have to admit not all of it made it on to the kit. A lovely example well done!

Thanks Wagtail.

With your experience I'm sure you could add a lot more detail to your builds than the likes of me could. You cannot always get the right picture or video to show what you try to achieve so I have to rely on a bit of common sense or just use poetic justice (or just plead ignorance).

Luckily I have a lot of photo etch stuff left over from previous builds and rely on that for all the bits I lose or totally destroy. Me and superglue just do not get on. I'm always sticking my fingers together or have to cut away skin when a PE part gets stuck to my hand.

18 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks Ozzy. Appreciate your comments.

It's a pity that there is not more modern British military stuff available in 1:35 scale. Most of it is American or German. Shame that Airfix is not into producing larger scale kits.

Dragon and Revell do an MLRS in 1:35, I think the remaining Artillery kits are resin. And these days even within the Royal Artillery there isn't much about.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks Wagtail.

With your experience I'm sure you could add a lot more detail to your builds than the likes of me could. You cannot always get the right picture or video to show what you try to achieve so I have to rely on a bit of common sense or just use poetic justice (or just plead ignorance).

Luckily I have a lot of photo etch stuff left over from previous builds and rely on that for all the bits I lose or totally destroy. Me and superglue just do not get on. I'm always sticking my fingers together or have to cut away skin when a PE part gets stuck to my hand.

Sadly the AS90 came in just as I was leaving so I never had the pleasure. I'll post some pics once it's finished but yours is looking good!

I agree about the photo etch, I've only used it once before and it's sooooooo small and fiddly! Super glue is a  night mare, I certainly know what you mean about fingers stuck together lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wagtail said:

Sadly the AS90 came in just as I was leaving so I never had the pleasure. I'll post some pics once it's finished but yours is looking good!

I agree about the photo etch, I've only used it once before and it's sooooooo small and fiddly! Super glue is a  night mare, I certainly know what you mean about fingers stuck together lol

One thing about using superglue on tiny PE parts is that, should you lose a part, you will probably find it stuck to some part of your anatomy at some point.

• Like 2