AZ Models Gotha G.V 1/48 Build notes

Just found this - great to see another WW1 type being built. Not so great to read of all the problems that you are running into. I have the Roden GV and started that but then gave up - for different reasons to you., Mine is still languishing in the roof and I am afraid may continue to dos so for a long time yet. You are doing a super job on this one - I am sure that the Roden kit is better all round, although it needs more detail added of course.

Will be following this with interest.

P

Some updates tonight:

- engines are in the cowlings; I added a strip of Evergreen HO 4" x 6" to the bottom of each engine.  Raising them up looked more like the prototype photos and I was able to run a piece of brass rod from the cowlings straight into the front of the engine.  Before doing this the rod completely missed hit where the propeller shaft would have been.  Also added the pipe that ran to the back of the engine.    Exhaust and the two lower large pipes were drilled out.  An advantage to raising the height of the engines is the top struts should now clear from the cowlings to the bottom of the top wings.  The two builds of this model I've seen on the web have the struts fitted behind the exhaust because the engine sits too low if you don't make this change.

fullsizeoutput_8b8.jpeg

IMG_3921.jpg

Tail feathers are now on; the locations point on the rear fuselage for the horizontal stabliizers were too low so I drilled new holes making the stabilizers flush with the top of the sides. 

You have to wonder if anyone built the preproduction kit at AZ Models as these errors should have been caught.

fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpegfullsizeoutput_8ba.jpeg

The PE rigging parts was first glued with canopy glue so I could move them in place and once dry acc'd in the front for additional strength.  I did use a little Tamiya putty on each one to try and better blend the PE part into the fuselage sides.  I think AZ Models would have had a better design if they'd made these with two pins you could insert into holes vs the design they went with...

Am looking at photos of the G.V in the Datafile and I see on one shot a shiny surface below the engine.  I have to think this was sheet metal to protect the wings during maintenance and oil, etc dripping from the engine.  So decided to paint this area the same color as the cowlings.  The other areas where the metal strips are will get daylight loz.  

I'm finally getting close to where I can paint the fuselage light blue.

Edited by cduckworth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I keep having to remind myself that this is 1/72, not Wingnuts...

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian

The build  is 1/48 scale; the Roden kits are 1/72...which I don't think my 65 year old eyes could handle.  

8 minutes ago, cduckworth said:

The build  is 1/48 scale; the Roden kits are 1/72...which I don't think my 65 year old eyes could handle.  

Still bloomin' amazing! It looks like my 57 year old eyes can't handle "1/48" in big letters across the top of the post...

Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Wings sprayed with Tamiya Fine Primer, tomorrow will get a coat of Future and once it's dry will start on the 5 color loz decals.

fullsizeoutput_8e1.jpeg

Edited by cduckworth

Five color loz going on; the white areas are where the engines sit and photos show this area to be a non-fabric surface so will decal these two areas a gray.  Still have the bottom to decal, the the numerous rib tapes but its getting there.  

fullsizeoutput_905.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_907.jpeg

• Like 1

btw I did manage to toss the pilot's and gunner's seats into the kitchen trash when I was cleaning up the decals scraps.  Not a big loss as the pilot seat really didn't resemble to Gotha seat anyway.