Gipsy Moth, (Amodel 1/48 d.h. 60G)

Robert Stuart

OK, I'm in with a dh 60G from Amodel in 1/48.

2017-dh60-001.jpg

2017-dh60-002.jpg

The most commented downside of this kit is that Amodel don't give a rigging diagram in the instructions - but that should be solvable from the web.

In the box, there are three decal choices - I'll probable go for the forth option

On the sprue, this kit looks great, and I must admit that I'm tempted to get one, or both, of the other Amodel dh60's (Cirrus or Metal Moths) ... but let's start simple(r) 

• Like 7

First of the mark here Robert with a lovely subject. Then again I can't think of a Dh product which cannot be described thus... :shrug: Anyway, a great choice none the less, I'm looking forward to seeing what option number four will be :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Then again I can't think of a Dh product which cannot be described thus...

I'd struggle too Col.  There are some types that are more to my taste than others (I prefer the Vampire to the Venom), but I can not think of a dH product that I don't find attractive.

• Like 1

I came across this video on YouTube

"You couldn't quite fly it that way"

This book arrived on Friday ...

2017-dh60-003.jpg

That's something of a social histoy of the aircraft with lots of B/W photos, so it's good for external views.  Stuart McKay has written other books covering the dH.60, if anybody has taken a look at them, I'd be interested to know how they compare.

Slightly worrying,  @Darius at Home posted this build thread

Having read that, I'm a bit concerned about the wing rib spacing, but don't know where to look to correct it (assuming Amodel's rib spacing is wrong)

I've started cutting plastic, and glueing ready for priming ...

2017-dh60-004.jpg

... glued the firewall to one half of the fuselage, and the ?control linkage tunnel? to the cockpit floor.

BTW, there is very little sinkage on the kit, the worst is on that tunnel - the sprues are covered in sink holes, but, as I say, the kit is reasonably free of them.

That top ridge on the fuselage appears on both sides and is, I think, an earlier location for the wing fold jury strut.  I'm not sure what the lower ridge represents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

I came across this video on YouTube

"You couldn't quite fly it that way"

Ahhh... that's Gary Sewall's Moth.  He used to post fairly frequently on RCGroups.  Here's a thread he started when he was looking for an electric RC model of the DH60.  Quite a bit of information in there.  He also has his own web site with a few more pictures of his Moth.

Great choice by the way.

Uncle Tommy

• Like 1

I  look forward to see how your build goes. I started one years ago when the kit first appeared. It became one of my many stalled builds. Maybe I can pick up some inspiration to get on with mine.  One point to make is that the hole s for the wing struts are not in the right place. They should be between a pair of ribs but, without looking, I can't tell you which but if you look up many of the on line photos of the DH 60 you will see what I mean... in case you didn't know that is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uncletommy said:

Ahhh... that's Gary Sewall's Moth.  He used to post fairly frequently on RCGroups.  Here's a thread he started when he was looking for an electric RC model of the DH60.  Quite a bit of information in there.  He also has his own web site with a few more pictures of his Moth.

Great choice by the way.

Uncle Tommy

Thanks Uncle T, those links, especially the rcgroups thread, are useful.  I was surprised to see that the scallops on his wings were offered in 1929 by MAC (the American licensee builders, Moth Aircraft Corporation), I don't think I've seen them elsewhere, British built wings so often appear to have been plain silver.

An R/C Gipsy Moth would look good, and probably make a good, fun, flyier ... my radio is ancient, possibly not useable these day. or that would be tempting.

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

I  look forward to see how your build goes. I started one years ago when the kit first appeared. It became one of my many stalled builds. Maybe I can pick up some inspiration to get on with mine.  One point to make is that the hole s for the wing struts are not in the right place. They should be between a pair of ribs but, without looking, I can't tell you which but if you look up many of the on line photos of the DH 60 you will see what I mean... in case you didn't know that is.

Don't wait on me Paul - one of my reasons for doing GB's is to try and encourage me to finish something once in a while.

Why don't you just dig it out?  If it's within the 25% rule, start a thread in this GB...   Either way, I'd love to see you finish it

Thanks for pointing out the wing strut problem :)

Bought some white primer and milliput today ...

2017-dh60-005.jpg

I've given most of the 'pit a coat of white (I prefere it to grey), ready for painting.  The floor - or the control tunnel - has some Milliput, so will have to wait a few hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avereda said:

Watching with great interest, I've got the same kit lined up for the Prototypes GB later this year.

Ah, that wouldn't have anything to do with Amy Johnson and Jason?

There are a couple of Cirrus first I'd like to have a look at, if I can work out the colours ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Ah, that wouldn't have anything to do with Amy Johnson and Jason?

There are a couple of Cirrus first I'd like to have a look at, if I can work out the colours ...

Indeed, it would have everything to do with Amy Johnson and Jason.

• Like 1

I've started painting the cockpit.  Amodel give some colour guides, but the cockpit sides are not mentioned.  I presumed the construction would have been beech ply walls with ash stringers - beech because it's readily available (and was used on the Mosquito later), ash because it's strong in compression.  That was before I saw Tiger Moth repairs might use spruce stringers.

2017-dh60-006.jpg

With all that heavy shading, I doubt I could tell the difference.  The seats, I think, were brown leather.

You won't see much of that shading when it's closed up ...

2017-dh60-008.jpg

2017-dh60-009.jpg

Having started to paint the instrument panels, I decided I didn't really like the pilot's instrument layout, so I arranged for some dials and bezels ...

2017-dh60-007.jpg

The decals are RAF WWII, and much too fast for the dH60, but they are better that I could produce, the bezels are a mix of RAF, USAF, and Luftwaffe, again, nothing I could make.

• Like 4

On 28/02/2017 at 20:50, Col. said:

Off to a great start there Robert and those Airscale parts are a cracking bit of kit. Suddenly discovered a need for some of those :D 

They are nice to use Col

2017-dh60-010.jpg

Front and rear instrument panels.  The altimeter on the rear (pilot's) IP is set behind the panel

(IRL, these don't look so bad as zoomed in.  That's my excuse for any defects you see here - and I'm sticking by it)

• Like 5