F1M2 Pete Hasegawa 1/48 Diorama

cger

Hi,

I have completed the build of an F1M2 Seaplane from Hasegawa, pictures of the build are in the In progress section here

Here are a few pictures.

The ground is done with foam board, carved  with an X Acto knife. The sand beach is done with tile grout (already colored in a beige color). Some shades are added 

by airbrushing thin coats of Tamiya  XF 59 Desert Yellow  and XF 57 Buff.

The water is  two parts acrylic resin, poured in three layers. The bottom was airbrushed with various shades of blue, as the intermediate layers of resin.

The small waves are done with transparent acrylic gel.

The two coconut tree trunks are done with Magic Sculpt, formed around wire taken from an old coat hanger. The trunk texture is done by wrapping a sisal thread around the trunks, while the Magic Sculpt is still soft.

The palm leaves are done with paper. Looking carefully one can see some coconuts, which are peppercorn. The kind of fibers at the top of the trees are done with 

artificial fur.

Finally the plants at the bottom of the coconut trees are fishtank artificial plants and some ground scatter.

I plan to add one or two figures, ideally two US marines looking over the wreck.  The nice resin figures from Total War miniatures seem out of production and impossible to find,

so I will need to scupt them myself. Sofar my attempts were not successfull :(

I hope you will like it,

best,

Christian.

P1050099_zpsk3xkvv2h.jpg

P1050098_zpshfkdlczy.jpg

P1050095_zpsqesutdln.jpg

P1050094_zpso6ecks5b.jpg

P1050092_zpsvh94kync.jpg

P1050088_zpsb3mva6sc.jpg

P1050087_zpsyxv76pzv.jpg

• Like 46

That is just excellent - the weathered airplane , the wet sand !!!  

Very sad and forlorn,

but O so very nicely done!

Congrats!

JR

SUPER EFFORT !!! The build is one of the best that I have seen of any Japanese aircraft. The landscaping and water are also top notch. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.      Bob H.

Really  impressive work,   I particularly like the weathering back to the red-brown primer,  very neat detail!  Has Nick Millman seen this?

The effect of torn fabric on the wings is a great detail, and overall the diorama is brillaint.

I plan to add one or two figures, ideally two US marines looking over the wreck.  The nice resin figures from Total War miniatures seem out of production and impossible to find,

so I will need to scupt them myself. Sofar my attempts were not successfull

perhaps you could use some of the 1/48th Tamiya GI's, http://tamiya.com/english/products/32513army_giset/

top600_353.jpg

HTH

T

43 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Really  impressive work,   I particularly like the weathering back to the red-brown primer,  very neat detail!  Has Nick Millman seen this?

The effect of torn fabric on the wings is a great detail, and overall the diorama is brillaint.

perhaps you could use some of the 1/48th Tamiya GI's, http://tamiya.com/english/products/32513army_giset/

top600_353.jpg

HTH

T

Hi Troy,

thanks for the kind words. I did not know about this set actually. I have seen another set from Tamiya (the one which included the kit of the Jeep), and was quite disappointed by the figures, too small and badly sculpted IMHO.  Is this set better ?

best,

Christian.

41 minutes ago, cger said:

Hi Troy,

thanks for the kind words. I did not know about this set actually. I have seen another set from Tamiya (the one which included the kit of the Jeep), and was quite disappointed by the figures, too small and badly sculpted IMHO.  Is this set better ?

best,

Christian.

Hi Christian

general consensus is that all the 1/48th tamiya figures tend to be a bit small, and many are downscaled versions of 1/35th sets as well.

the 1/48th have the same poses as

https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-us-army-assault-infantry-soldiers-plastic-model-military-figure-kit-1:35-scale-35192

and

https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-us-gun-mortar-soldier-team-plastic-model-military-figure-kit-1:35-scale-35086

The above look well enough sculpted to me,   and the size is maybe less of an issue when not mixed with other figures.

Quarter Kit shop (in Paris) may well have something better 

http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop

but a quick look has not turned up anything suitable

One alternative would be perhaps have US Aircrew or ground crew looking over the wreck, and many monogram bomber kits came.with these figures

note the poses shown in this Shepard Paine diorama

Monogram+B-24_heading.jpg

HTH

T