Moebius' Interstellar Ranger

Ah, wow,  nicely detailed.

I also did this model, and its at 

Your hatch detail is much better than mine, I lost a few of the transfers trying to put them on. Seem to have stiff hands now. 

I found the U/C legs so weak, I did it retracted. I took screen shots from the Blu-Ray movie to find some of the details , but they are also on the web somewhere. 

I think across the back, top, there are supposed to be sort of solar panels, a sort of semi-transparent dark blue  gloss, but I just left them matt black, Underneath, I just used a pencil  eraser to rub a cross-paternon the matt black,  to pretend it was tiled.  The top was masked many times to paint gloss black for the windows,  top matt white, bottom and details in matt black, then several  different shades of light grey for various panels, then a .05mm Pentel to mark  tiles with a black panel (serial no, etc).  Finally,  I used Windsor Newton pastels to add the weathering with a stipply brush. Then another mask over the windows, and matt coat on top. then another mask, and dark grey tiles around the windows. Masking took longer than painting. For faint panel lines, I just stroked the stippley brush along where panels joined guided by a metal ruler. I tried to polish the windows up before painting, as they were a bit rough. 

I think models like these are often on sale for a short time, then may not re-appear for decades, making them quite collectable. 

• Like 1

That's a nice build, the subtle weathering looks spot on.

Not seen the film yet but do keep looking at this kit, might have to invest in one.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Just working on a kit sourced through eBay.

The model includes two smaller copies, quoted as 1/144 scale, which fit into a structure which matches onto a 1/144 S-IVB stage.

The Ranger itself is three times the size of these copies, which implies that the larger model is actually 1/48?

Howard

not sure of the scale, 1/5 would be small I think if  you look at the scenes with actors in.

the model is very simple to build, no windows, so I recommend polishing up the plastic before painting gloss black.

If you are photographing the model, surround in black drapes to eliminate reflections in the black windows.