Maintenance

Simon Cornes

This is an incredibly useful section of the site! I have a Sparmax compressor, care of Little Cars and not cheap. I have opened it for several years and use it a couple of times a year but I had been using it quite frequently after Christmas and noticed after in the moisture trap - never seen that before - what to do? So I looked here and read about the cylinder drain plug - what? So I googled the instructions and learnt a bit and so removed mine. Not a flood of water but some very muddy liquid and now I now! Could be an expensive mistake but I will now remove the plug after each session and I think I will be okay. A very timely bit of knowledge!

12 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

This is an incredibly useful section of the site! I have a Sparmax compressor, care of Little Cars and not cheap. I have opened it for several years and use it a couple of times a year but I had been using it quite frequently after Christmas and noticed after in the moisture trap - never seen that before - what to do? So I looked here and read about the cylinder drain plug - what? So I googled the instructions and learnt a bit and so removed mine. Not a flood of water but some very muddy liquid and now I now! Could be an expensive mistake but I will now remove the plug after each session and I think I will be okay. A very timely bit of knowledge!

Simon,

The instructions to drain would have been in the box with the compressor.

You don't have to drain it every time you use it, but it's good to get into a routine of draining it regularly.

Remembering to release the compressed air from the tank first. 

If you don't you can get a lot of the brown sludge in the air regulator when you remove the drain plug and the tank decompresses.

Paul

To answer Paul, the box - with instructions - is in the loft but it is quicker to Google Sparmax and find a set of instructions that way!

Thanks for the suggestion Colin but my default position had been 'never' so 'always' is a step in the right direction! When I've got into the habit I might relax to 'monthly' !