Whatever happened to Flashback?

cduckworth

I see Special Hobby reissuing some of their previous moldings and wonder what happened to Flashback?  Their Berg D.I, HB.29 and taube were nice models being issued in 1999 and I think the taube was reissued in again in 2001.  Flashback did some reboxing of the Eduard E.III and Fokker DVIII with different decals.  Did FB just go out of biz?

Thanks, that would explain the reason why they haven't been reissued.  Flashback also did the Morane N and the Sopwith Pup in 1/48.  The Berg was a little more like the early Eduard kits but it thought the Taube was a nicer molding than their early kits.

Flashback also did the Voisin 5 or 6 (the "small one" anyway, not the "big" 8 or 9).

Not easy to build (PE tailbooms), but very detailed indeed.

Cheers

Michael

Don't you mean the Voisin III in 1/72 scale? I picked up one of those a while ago and made a start but the darn thing scared me to death with it's fragility and I ended up passing it on to someone braver than I.

Yes, you're right - type LA.S (Salmson radial-engined) existed as Voisin III (120 HP), V (150 HP) and VI (160 HP).

All three were almost identical with small differences in upper wing cutout and undercarriage details.

Cheers

Michael

15 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

And if I recall correctly the kit was a mixup of variants

And to be accurate you need to sand off all the quilted rib effect and replace, move all the interplane strut positions, and make new tail surfaces. The nacelle was nice, though. Possibly a good idea to combine it with wings from the Classic Plane vac..........

The 2 Berg kits were originally Hippo resins, IIRC.

Paul.

• Like 1

On Mon Feb 13 2017 at 9:54 AM, Paul Thompson said:

And to be accurate you need to sand off all the quilted rib effect and replace, move all the interplane strut positions, and make new tail surfaces. The nacelle was nice, though. 

And there I was thinking it would be a great oob build.....I may have to move it up in the "to build" list, sounds much more my style now!

How good is the 1:72 Sopwith Strutter?  I have it and the Pegasus one so I could even do a kit bash!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Ian, I'm not trying to put you off, although I know it sounded like it. Harry Woodman always said a good kit was one that was correctable, and this one is. Sanding the wings is the hardest bit (and it's the only bit of the mods I've completed with mine - the nacelle has languished in a box, finished, for 8 or 9 years as other things have grabbed my fleeting attention). And to be honest you probably wouldn't have known that anything but TLC was needed if I hadn't told you. And I only know because I have the 2 issues of Windsock magazine from when the kit was released wherein Saint Harry reviews the kit and sets out what needs doing.

A quick and pedantic clarification about Mr Duckworth's original post for those who have only started modelling since the advent WNW so maybe don't know 'ancient' history- the Eduard Fokker E.III he mentions was their original offereing from the (early?) '90s, in 1/48th.

Paul.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:17 AM, Paul Thompson said:

Ian, I'm not trying to put you off, although I know it sounded like it. Harry Woodman always said a good kit was one that was correctable, and this one is. Sanding the wings is the hardest bit (and it's the only bit of the mods I've completed with mine - the nacelle has languished in a box, finished, for 8 or 9 years as other things have grabbed my fleeting attention). And to be honest you probably wouldn't have known that anything but TLC was needed if I hadn't told you. And I only know because I have the 2 issues of Windsock magazine from when the kit was released wherein Saint Harry reviews the kit and sets out what needs doing.

A quick and pedantic clarification about Mr Duckworth's original post for those who have only started modelling since the advent WNW so maybe don't know 'ancient' history- the Eduard Fokker E.III he mentions was their original offereing from the (early?) '90s, in 1/48th.

Paul.

No problem Paul, you certainly haven't put me off. If you've seen my Muromets build, based on Sir Harry's analysis and tips, (and Datafile special) you'll know I love that sort of thing anyway!

Any chance you could scan those articles and email them to me, they'd be very useful!

Ian

4 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

No problem Paul, you certainly haven't put me off. If you've seen my Muromets build, based on Sir Harry's analysis and tips, (and Datafile special) you'll know I love that sort of thing anyway!

Any chance you could scan those articles and email them to me, they'd be very useful!

Ian

I'll dig them out. Scanner needs new elastic bands and a couple of kicks, but should get it done tomorrow.

Paul.