Carving or whittling wood is not that difficult and seems to be an option that many modellers rule out too early IMHO. I think however the fact that you must make two identical engines makes using two identical manufactured 'cores' such as the pen barrels a better option in this case.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Although I take Hendie's point re: wrapping in wire don't forget you need the little beggar to sit on its nose wheel

Don't worry about it sitting on its nose wheel - there is lead in that there nose!  It was fun gluing it on to the body as the weight kept tipping it off.  Dropped it a few times.  Any remember it balanced with 2 AA batteries back there.  Whatever I do with these engines it should be lighter than that

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

Carving or whittling wood is not that difficult and seems to be an option that many modellers rule out too early IMHO. I think however the fact that you must make two identical engines makes using two identical manufactured 'cores' such as the pen barrels a better option in this case.

Think you are right there - building up a basic shape from wood is a good plan.  I wanted to try this with all plastic & P38, but there is part of me that still wants to do card wings.  Do like a bit of card modelling.

Two identical engine starting point should make it easier - I hope

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bar side said:

Think you are right there - building up a basic shape from wood is a good plan.  I wanted to try this with all plastic & P38, but there is part of me that still wants to do card wings.  Do like a bit of card modelling.

Two identical engine starting point should make it easier - I hope

When I set out to build the Mig15 I was aiming to reproduce and test the methods and materials I used to use about 30 years ago when I was in my early teens and built my models out of wood. Hence, plywood wings. In my next model I will be making much more extensive use of plastic card - including the wings. I would recommend plastic card for the wings and tail.

• Like 1

Had another go at the cockpit glass today.  The original (far left) was only the front 2 panes.  Attaching the 2 side panels was a pain.  So I made up a card template of the front & side panes combined.  Then cut it out in plastic.  First one didn't fit well.  Second one is on the aircraft.  Not glued as I don't have any canopy glue yet, but fit looks passable.  I want to get the cockpit & fuselage sealed up soon

PnnCTAm.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Got myself distracted with another diorama and haven't done much on the dominie for a bit.  So I stuck windscreen in and fled the cockpit roof on.  I thought I would try the milliput out around the windows and roof.  What could possibly got wrong?  Clear plastic and a putty I have never used before.....

Anyway it came out like this

p4l5iHU.jpg

Look ok, but it's an interesting product to sand and shape.  I think it's coming together ok

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

It is coming on as you say

When you use Milliput don't let it dry like that, all lumpen and untidy

When you have it where you want it try wiping a wetted finger gently on the 'put which will smooth it and allow you to get a finely blended joint

Wet is important

As is gently

And wetted  ;)

• Like 2

Good advice.  I have had to take the dremel to it in order to smooth it out!  P38 sands easier.  So I have added some liquid green stuff to smooth out the edges.  So thoughts on the shape now.  These photos make it look pretty rough but it's actually not to bad

rUOlN3c.jpg

K8hpkZ5.jpg

cxbwJ1sg.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

Quick coat of paint over the dominie to see how it looks

O3LgbsC.jpg

e6NvQsi.jpg

The join line between the roof & body needs softening down - I am thinking of going back to P38 to do that.

The milliput has been tried on one engine.  Need to add some more & see how it comes together.  

On another bit, I was wondering if you could use an iron to curve the edge of a sheet of plasticard?  Would make shaping the front of the wing easier.  Anyone tried it ?

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Think I caught it before doing any real damage.  The iron will live to fight another day and the test wing looks ok.  To hot and the iron gives an bit of a lumpy curve, bit cooler and it works better.

• Like 2

Bit of filler has helped no end to smooth in the roof section.  Its a slightly different colour just as it lighter underneath. Seems nice & smooth and the sharper edge has gone.  Feeling quite pleased with it now.  Couple of engines & a couple of wings..... 

bp0y8cg.jpg

Oh, almost forgot - scribing some panel lines, undercarriage, flaps, external antennas & arials.....

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, perdu said:

The bits of plastic are becoming..

The Dominie

Cheers perdu - it started off as a load of bits and now starts to look at me from the shelf more like a kit.  Keep sticking the tail fin and mock up wings on to see how it will look.  Kind of itching to make the real wings now. the biggest thing there is cutting out the wheel wells.  The flaps will come off when I am happy with the wing shape as a whole. 

• Like 1

I cut out a wing today - might not look any different but it is the right size.  I ironed over the edges to start the leading edge curve.  I will mark it up soon & cut out the wheel well & take off the flaps.  Will mark up the ailerons but I am not going to cut them out.  They look self leveling as they don't seem to be down in pictures.  Unlike the flaps

De6qMII.jpg

The green wing is the card template

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Quick sketch out of where the ailerons and flaps should go.  Will be easier to cut these out before putting the wing together.  I have shaped a balsa wood plug for the junction between fuselage & wing to keep the profile in line.  

cst13km.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Ok the flaps are off & the ailerons scribed, bit of internal structure for the wing & it is now glued & drying.  Forgot to cut out the wheel well, but I think I can get away with that.

i6vmW54.jpg

I was thinking of painting the basics of the fuselage before putting the wings on, but paint still seems some way off.  Need to get on with the engines too.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

Getting some time on it at the moment - the Dominie now has 2 new wings!  Flaps on both are cut out too & I managed to get the wheel wells cut in to both.  The right one still has the tape on while the glue dries.  They are now attached yet, and behind are the engines, one with milliput on to start to shape it.  More to do on them & the mountings on either side.  

lNcK2Pv.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

those wings look great

Cheers Perdu - they came together quite nicely.  The iron was used to put the front curve on each half & it seemed to help.  

• Like 1