10 minutes ago, hendie said:

The last thing you want is to smother it in glue and then find it doesn't bond.

Good advice Hendie - I have an off cut of tube and spare plastic so will give it a go before putting this on.  Same with gluing on to the car body filler

14 minutes ago, bar side said:

Same with gluing on to the car body filler

That is going to be problematic. Your standard modeling glues just aren't going to work on that.

You might want to invest in some araldite, and some E6000 if you can get hold of it over there.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:11 PM, Reconcilor said:

This looks great and is coming along very quickly. Was thinking about the glazing; another possible approach would be to telescope a clear tube into the inside of the existing fuselage shell.

Couldn't help thinking more about this - wondering about wrapping the clear tube in a thin outer sheet.  My skinning plasticard is about 1/2 - 3/4 mm, so I have cut an outer layer to size.  The idea of unrolling it and cutting out the windows on a flat mat is appealing - nice & neat rather than trying to cut masking tape to size, stick it in the right place an hope there is no bleed under.  Also, the plasticard outer would give a good bond to a like material wind root.  In the meantime the tube has cut nicely to open the doorway.  I do plan to pose it with the door open, but probably with the cockpit & cabin doors shut.

Getting the feeling now my progress limiting factor is the interior.  Need to get in with it.  However getting the wheel wells and flaps sorted before fixing things in will help later, so not planning to rush it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well cutting out windows is still no fun.  Having had a bit of a break from the Dominie (and a little play with the HAS) I thought I would get the windows cut in the fuselage 'wrapper'.  It might be easier to get things done by unwrapping the outer sheet & laying it flat to cut out

vNL9I4T.jpg

Bit of a mess with the shape of the window bottoms needed a little filler to tidy it up.  I think it will all fill out & look ok with paint on.

rYKC5iT.jpg

So a little progress after a breather.  Need to get the wrapper on to attach the wing root, then build the interior before the tail & nose can go on.  Its just getting the time. Isn't it always?

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

More work on the interior today.  So little that will be seen after it goes together.  Just some seats to make and fit

oUIgQcT.jpg

gMxQ2A5.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

Bit more work on it today.  Been meaning to finish off the cockpit glazing so made up the side glazing today & balanced the roof on to see how it looks

AUCSApq.jpg

So the whole fuselage would now look something like this

SBabB4n.jpg

Made up some seats for the inside today - don't need to be perfect as the windows will not allow much to be seen.

XVlTHoA.jpg

They have now had a coat of grey paint & look more at home.  Next will be getting the wrapper on clear tube, ready to put the inside in & then attach the tail.  Wing root can then go on & building up the blending in to the fuselage sides & tail, and the bulge ahead of the wing.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 7

I was looking at the tail of the Dominie the other day & it needs some work.  The duct ahead of the tail was just a 2d strip of plastic to mark its location.  The ventral fin looks too short for the version I am making & it needs a bullet faring on the back of the tail.  So first off some sprue glued either side of the 2D marker

Q3Na3zA.jpg

Then some filler and a quick cut down section of sprue shaped to make the fairing

XYwdxTP.jpg

Doesn't show up well in the photo, but it looks much more substantial & better.  I need to put on some tabs over the hinge for the rudder and work on the ventral fin shape.  Small steps

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

This isn't going to look like major progress, but it is a step forward that I have been putting off because I didn't think it would go well.  But I am please to say it did go ok.  I glued the wrapper around the clear tube - just polystyrene cement - and its gone on ok.  Was fearing dents in the plasticard where it would sink & struggling to get it to join up on the bottom.   As it is it went on fine & bonded together really neatly underneath.  The wrapper gives a great 'key' to bond the wing root to.  So this is it glued together not balanced & masking taped up

1CwiDwi.jpg

Now I can get on with strengthening it up & build the fairing between the body & wing.  When that's done I may have to fix the inside & glue the tail on.  Then I can blend in the body, win & tail.  That will feel like progress.

Until then, quick pose with just tape on the nose & tail

XcSM8vB.jpg

The cockpit roof is just balanced on but that's being a challenge.  The glass in the cockpit is staying nice & clear, with either cyano glue or poly cement, but won't really stick well with either.  Going to have to build a frame over the glass to fix the roof to.  But I am going to put that off for a while

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

This looks the bizz

Have you any Formula 560 Cockpit Glue in stock?

(if not I seriously advise its purchase)

560 will stick the dissimilar stuff together without showing on clear parts, it dries totally transparent and frankly my dear, it doesn't give a damn what materials you use it on

You could stick external framing between roof and fuselage and if you keep the quantities in check it will be invisibule

too much glue might show as blobby edges round the glazing bars, that's all

Anyway, really looking good now after the weekends efforts

:thumbsup:

p.s cockpit glue can be cocktail stick-ed away if you get drying residue, truly a good glue

• Like 1

This is a great build to watch. Im

really amazed at how quickly and how well it's coming together.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

22 hours ago, perdu said:

This looks the bizz

Have you any Formula 560 Cockpit Glue in stock?

(if not I seriously advise its purchase)

Cheers Perdu - no I don't but I do feel that I might need some in my modelling box.  Will have a look next time I am down my local model shop.  They are normally pretty good, if not ebay.

Cheers @TonyTiger66 and @Jaffajake - doesn't feel like its moving along fast, but that is comparing it to a kit where the bits are in the box.  I am making the bits before putting them together & I have to say its quite satisfying.  Although when I look in a kit box I tend to wince at my level of quality.  No panel lines (raise or otherwise) yet & not sure how the filler will take them.  Mind you don't seem to be very visible on the real thing

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bar side said:

No panel lines (raise or otherwise) yet & not sure how the filler will take them.  Mind you don't seem to be very visible on the real thing

I regard to the panel line detail, my advice is to get it structurally complete, and then give it a few coats of Halford's filler-primer, with a good rub down in between coats. This will make your surface lovely and smooth, and then you're happy with it, go over the whole model with a final coat of their grey primer. Then, when you've allowed it to dry for a week and really harden, you can scribe the panel detail straight into the primer coats, and this will mean the mish-mash of materials beneath is largely protected.

I used this method on the Combat C-17 I built a couple of years back, and am doing the same for my 1/32nd Shackelton - it works really well. And, as you say, the panel detail is actually very fine on the real thing, so you wouldn't have to go too mad with the scriber...

Great progress by the way!

Tom

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I regard to the panel line detail, my advice is to get it structurally complete, and then give it a few coats of Halford's filler-primer, with a good rub down in between coats. This will make your surface lovely and smooth, and then you're happy with it, go over the whole model with a final coat of their grey primer. Then, when you've allowed it to dry for a week and really harden, you can scribe the panel detail straight into the primer coats, and this will mean the mish-mash of materials beneath is largely protected.

Cheers Tom, I have been watching your Halford's primer on the C17 and Shackleton & it always looks good.  Must get a can & try it out.  That Shackleton of yours is looking good.

Little bit more today.  I left the front wheel well as a kind of triangular opening when I built up the nose.  So I went back and shaped up the doors and shaped the opening.  The photos I have seen show a very 'busy' wheel well, but I doubt I will do too much detail.  The nose leg is ex-phantom and the wheels ex-tonka.

3SrHK75.jpg

The main progress is that the tail is now glued on, with a quick coat of filler over the join.  Worth taping on the nose to see how the centre of gravity is - looks to be alright to me.

b1oL0IZ.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Have been looking to make some progress fairing in the wings to the body and the tail section,  A bit of plasticard to form up the shape and a first quick coat of filler to bring it together.  I have started the frame for the fairing ahead of the wing, but have made more progress behind it.  Once it gets in to primer (some way off!) the tail, body & fairing will come together better.  Then the engines will sit over this area too.  Once the front fairing is done I might try to get the nose on.

QxhPOmC.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Well with the body coming together I thought I would put the nose on with bluetac & try balancing it on the front wheel & a block at the back.  Then I thought wings - need a template to make them up.  So I cut out a top & bottom in plasticard.  Looks ok, but they are too small.  I can't roll the front over to make the leading edge shape, so they will become scrap card soon.  Tried again with card to mock up the shape & that looks better.  So, on its wheel(s) with 2 wings sitting about.  Had to pose it & thought its time to put it next to the Hawk again

QvV3QM8.jpg

If only it was that quick to finish it off!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 7

Previously extended the wing backwards along the rear fuselage, now building up the forward extension ahead of the wing.  Only had one coat of filler so far but gives the idea

VYqogXI.jpg

hEmUKGA.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

I don't want it to be that quickly finished

I'm enjoying it at this pace. 

Its looking great so far

But

Is the tail supposed to have that abrupt angle off the rear of the cabin or should it be a more gentle curve?

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Is the tail supposed to have that abrupt angle off the rear of the cabin or should it be a more gentle curve?

I think the change in materials makes it look worse than it is - I am itching to get some primer on & see how it looks.  I haven't got the halfords primer yet, so might dust some rattle can over & see.

• Like 1