Been drilling holes for windows & doors today.  Had to make another body tube after drilling window holes in the places for a 5 window left side model, when I wanted a six window T1.  Was going to make XS726 as per this photo:

1381756-large.jpg

I believe she is now preserved at Newark.

So six windows needed

qVVxinK.jpg

And 4 on the other side

AwCOIal.jpg

So, cutting out the rudder, building up the elevators, or starting on the 3D brain bender that is the cockpit / front wheel well / nose / front window assembly?  Decisions decisions 

Edited by bar side
  • Like 7

On 2/14/2017 at 8:32 PM, mackem01 said:

are you putting anything in the main Cabin? If so is the plan to detail it outside then slide in the resulting structure?

I thought the windows would be too small to bother with an interior but now I'm not so sure.  If I can get good clear windows in then it might be worth putting something in - build a base & slide it in pre built.  I am going to model it with the door open, so could leave the cabin door open inside so you can see a bit.  Its the windows - too big to feed some clear rod through & cut & sand, very tricky to cut out plastic sheet & stick it in.  Plus need some advice on glue to stick it in.  I have heard pva as it dries clear, but not sure if you will be able to see through plastic sheet & pva.

I guess the interior should look like this

hr8X8p1.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

Tried a few ideas for windows on the first body tube section.  Tried taping over the back & pouring in Klear (it soaked in / evaportated) and PVA (same happened) and Aradlite two part epoxy.  The Aradlite dried after about 24hrs and has gone a bit yellow and isn't really see through, an sunk in the middle.  Wondering about E6000 glue - supposed to be quite cheap & dries clear.  Other than that it will be cutting out clear sheet & trying to fix it in place without frosting.  Wouldn't want to glue in with PVA then mask over for painting, so that route has its challenges too.

So less clarity in the windows will equal no interior I suspect, better clarity & I will have to build something

• Like 2

Just now, mackem01 said:

What about some kind of tape or clear acetate fixed inside the fuselage to support the weight of your chosen window medium, it may help to

keep its shape and should be removable when the windows harden:2c:.

Yep, that's what i did - masking tape behind.  Maybe sellotape instead as its clear?  The masking tape even peeled off the Araldite ok.  Beginning to think that I need to fit an inner bead around the inner window frame ready to sit a plastic sheet in.  Maybe something as simple as a cut up 2 litre fizzy drink bottle.  Leave them off until after painting then glue them in with pva / klear

Maybe it's too late for this idea, but since this is a standard size plastic tubing, you could try to get this in clear styrene, so you would  just have to mask the Windows on the inside and outside and paint the whole thing... quick Amazon search brought this up:

https://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-Tubing-Wall-Clear-Color/dp/B00193UNBI/ref=sr_1_1/158-2144978-8204063?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1487197375&sr=1-1&refinements=p_item_diameter_derived%3A2+inches

cleanest and clearest Windows you could ever achieve...

maybe this helps,

enjoying your build very much...Progress Looks very good and that lassic dominie pic may be my next Screen saver !

Olli

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ROBOT said:

Maybe it's too late for this idea, but since this is a standard size plastic tubing, you could try to get this in clear styrene, so you would  just have to mask the Windows on the inside and outside and paint the whole thing...

You may just be a genius Olli - just found some clear acrylic tubing of the right diameter & thickness on ebay for change from £6.  By the time I have found new glue & tried it out I will probably have spent that much.  Think I might get on the case tomorrow.

• Like 3

I was going to suggest the same idea as Robot, or alternatively I'm sure I've seen a build somewhere that involved cutting out a rectangle larger than the area of the windows then gluing in a strip of clear plastic and then sanding, polishing & masking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Wondering about E6000 glue - supposed to be quite cheap & dries clear.

Not for this type of application. I've been using it in my train build - it's great stuff (my new favorite "tool") - when used in the right application.   It has the consistency of a hot marshmallow.  It does dry clear, it also dries very flexible, so depending upon how you use it, you can have a rigid joint, or a flexible joint.

For example, I have one joint where a joint is glued at one end only - I can bend that joint 45° either way and it doesn't break.  If I glue two faces together, I get a solid joint that's rigid and doesn't "give"

It would be great for PE, though I have still to try and see if it can be thinned down before application. If so, it's a perfect solution for potentially pingy PE

• Like 3

Thanks for the info on e6000 Hendie.  Well ordered a length of clear tube this morning.  Couple of days before it will get here, so need to get on with an interior and a nose I guess.  Then just a couple of engines & a couple of wings.  Sounds easy doesn't it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bar side said:

Thanks for the info on e6000 Hendie.

you might want to order some of that stuff anyway. it's great for bonding dissimilar materials so will probably come in handy at some point on this build

Been playing with it a bit today.  The main tube part of the body will be replaced but is the right size, so can use it to build on to.  The fuselage has been crying out for a nose - its the face of the aircraft really but I didn't start there as I figured it was better to try out the shaping method on the back end first.  The nose section is a 3D nightmare of cabin, front wheel well, windows & nose cone.  So started with a horizontal outline and tried to build in a cabin space.  Can't run a former the length of it underneath as that is where the wheel well sits.  Well, easier o show a picture or two of progress rather than try to explain.

6vblftS.jpg

Room for a couple of seats & a panel in there.  Won't be very visible though with the size of the front windows.

bdXiFRg.jpg

You can see the tub idea of the cockpit, mainly for some strength

Edited by bar side
  • Like 9

The whole thing starts to look better with the nose on.  Lots to do but ok for an hour or so working on it

9UrR18a.jpg

Decided to score in the rudder, so that now is attached but moves

XBCUIQU.jpg

Been working on a bit more of the nose frame this evening - might be on to some planking tomorrow

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

Scratchbuilding is one of my favourite ways to 'go modelling'

Your Dom is looking very good, I hope the tube (when it arrives) is really the diameter you need

Some raw materials suppliers get it wrong with guessworking on dimensions but clear tube with painted 'everything-but-the-windows' will look awesome in the right size

Great work on the cockpit area, always scope for fun in there ;)

b

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 11:56 PM, perdu said:

Your Dom is looking very good, I hope the tube (when it arrives) is really the diameter you need

I hope it's the right disaster too!  Well if not I still have the white tube to fall back on.

But more work strengthening the cockpit frame last night

WpWXtEv.jpg

And the underneath

ZpwlSWG.jpg

Now today I have started putting on the planking under the nose and adding some weight above

0wPnpOd.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

Got some filler over the bottom half planking and started on the top.  Its not easy getting the shape right as it straightens towards the cockpit window & doesn't keep the same shape.

rRNoG8u.jpg

So time for a load of filler over the top half.  I tried to make up a template for the cockpit roof & panel that carries on down the top of the body and for the windows.  And stuck the original model wings on for fun!

rZvhlUE.jpg

Lots of sanding needed on he nose now and probably a couple more layers of filler.  The windows are going to be a pain to shape up and frame, but they can wait for a bit as I have an interior to make next.  Think the new tube will arrive next week, so can't do a lot more there.  That then leaves the engines and the wing/body section & outer wings.  But all in all I think it looks ok with a 3D nose & tail - quite pleased with it!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 8