Tamiya 1/12th Porsche 934 'Wrangler'

I'll start by saying I bought this kit part started so some of the work is the previous owners. The kit was lacking it's box and was contained in a old leather suitcase.

The previous owner had started building the chassis and engine, the work was excellent and some detailing work had been added with the addition of cables.

This is how the kit looked when I unpacked it:

eUus0ti.jpg

Xdnmpem.jpg

Z3sDVXH.jpg

The Jagermeister decals were old and not in the best condition so I checked out the aftermarket decals available from Best Balsa Kits, Wim Van Vlasselaer produces a number of replacement sets of decals for the Porsche. I settled on this set of the Wrangler car that ran in the Silverstone 6 hours of 1978.

mznFk7D.jpg

I stripped down the chassis, which was fairly easy due to the way the kit goes together with screws, I resprayed the chassis with Valeo Darkblue and Tamiya semi gloss black.

abP50dv.jpg

JhbG4hH.jpg

I then reinstalled the engine and suspension into the chassis.

F8Od2JA.jpg

ywpc1bt.jpg

P5gSF42.jpg

dLJppe3.jpg

These pictures were taken a couple of months ago, the chassis is near complete now but I need to get some pictures taken to post the current progress.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
Relinking pictures

I've finally got some pictures taken of the chassis as it stands now, I neglected to take any pictures during the last period of progress but this morning I had a parcel delivered with a photo tent and two external flashes.

I'm still tinkering with exactly how to use them so excuse the varying exposures.

tTfEMCd.jpg

up2HfFI.jpg

As the car was entered in the Silverstone 6 hrs the co-drivers seat was left out.

Ww7L3Zi.jpg

8iD6drD.jpg

LjdbPnG.jpg

The engine has had a little more detailing added but is left much as it was when I bought the kit.

atx2FD6.jpg

ROFqXVL.jpg

I added a resin seat harness, the satin ribbon is from Hobbycraft but I'm struggling to make it sit naturally so still needs some work.

E0e5li2.jpg

XHA6FVG.jpg

The front bay is a mass of tanks and hoses, the Tamiya black vinyl hoses was replaced with HiQ Parts braided hose. The fuel tank was sanded all over and then washed with a sand coloured wash.

Looking at the pictures I think I need to remove some of the black wash from the oil tank as it's a bit overdone.

Thanks for looking,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
Photobucket ransom demand.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys,

On 2/13/2017 at 10:33 AM, Deegee13 said:

I have often got seatbelts to lay flat on the seat with a small touch of superglue on the back of the harness.

I think this is exactly what I will have to do thanks.

Just a small update, the body shell and panels are painted and clear coated with Zero 1K, this was then cut back with Micromesh and polished. I prefer a more restrained gloss on racing cars.

wNoADl6.jpg

N31zlVb.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2017 at 3:51 PM, Schwarz-Brot said:

Perfect paintjob.

Thanks, but I can assure you that the paint is far from perfect. On several edges on all the panels I sanded through the gloss and paint down to the undercoat. I had to touch up the edges with a paint brush in about a dozen places.

Yesterday I started applying the decals, one of my favourite stages of model building.

aIqX3qY.jpg

The decals go on well with little or no decal solution required, I did damage the large zipper decal on the front slightly, but this was touched in with Valeo acrylics.

A curious thing I found with the stitching decals is that the decals for both sides of the door shut lines are printed as one decal, presumably so they can be applied evenly with the door in place and then cut using a sharp knife.

As I did not have the doors mounted before applying the decals I had to cut them down the middle of the carrier film before applying them, no big deal but a little odd to my mind.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The decals are now complete on the bodyshell:

110nnWv.jpg

9xM8LlE.jpg

Nwy9ARN.jpg

YNqfrdP.jpg

The next step will be to carefully apply a top coat of Zero gloss laquer, I've tested the laquer over some spare stitching decals on a scrap of plastic and the second test was OK.

The first test I put a wet coat down too fast and the decals started bubbling up so the second test had more mist coats and it was fine.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros

• 6 months later...

After nearly a year I've got back to this, the body shell is nearly complete. Putting the clear coat over the decals lead to a few nervous moments and a few of the stitch decals had to be replaced, fortunately there are extras on the decals sheet.

Remaining assembly should be fairly straight forward from here.

oPLfvIQ.jpg

M72T3qX.jpg

mKxqOzg.jpg

iTkNw1g.jpg

lP0UpCF.jpg

pSxZE25.jpg

amEKr1c.jpg

Cheers,

Stuart