Westland Scout 1/48 kit mangle/scratch/trash/bash

hendie

Wonderful result (ok, near result as she's not quite there yet!)

I hope your travel plans work out - I have my tickets booked to go to Guernsey on 12th for 2 weeks for Christmas with my brother and sister so if they stop travel again I'll be REALLY P****D!

Ian

• Like 1

A rare gem Alan; although come to think of it, not that rare as it’s entirely representative of the hendie oeuvre generally!

What I particularly love is the way you meld CAD and 3D printing with the most traditional of skills and in doing so demonstrate the value of both.

• Like 4

On 11/27/2021 at 6:27 PM, AdrianMF said:

Wowza wowza woo hoo! That does look amazing. The printed complexity in the engine and transmission department, coupled with plain old school modelling chops, makes for a magnificent model.

I don’t usually get emotive about Westland Scouts, either :)

Regards,

Adrian

PS hope your travel plans work out. Trying to get my daughter home for Xmas, so I know what it’s like!

Hopefully it's going to look a little bit better this time around Adrian - it's all finished (I think)

On 11/27/2021 at 11:18 PM, Wlad said:

Amazing bit of helicoptery. All the time spent on the engine, transmission, rotors was well spent. After all, these things stand out.

Cheers,

Wlad

thanks Wlad

On 11/28/2021 at 2:31 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

I say! It's 07:25 of a Sunday morning here in the Lincolnshire snow. So that made my eye's water. He's still missing in inaction so I'll add a f'nar in his honour.

For such a simple Aircraft it's turned out to be awfully complicated. But your combination of skill and printing has given us a beauty to wonder at.

That's an amazing trans deck and I can't help but think that possibly only Bandai, with their slide mould technology, could reproduce it with injection moulding.

Good luck with the travel. 

Sorry Pete.  Eye drops in the post.  Travel update to follow

On 11/28/2021 at 3:54 AM, Hamden said:

Stunning looking Scout all your trials and tribulations have really paid off!

Hope your travel plans go forward OK 

Stay safe          Roger

thanks Roger

On 11/28/2021 at 4:29 AM, Brandy said:

Wonderful result (ok, near result as she's not quite there yet!)

I hope your travel plans work out - I have my tickets booked to go to Guernsey on 12th for 2 weeks for Christmas with my brother and sister so if they stop travel again I'll be REALLY P****D!

Ian

she is now Ian - there, I mean.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:35 AM, perdu said:

"perfectomundo man"

What could one say?

She be lovely.

God speed the Mail

and the mail sped, and God was happy, and so was hendie

On 11/28/2021 at 5:20 AM, Fritag said:

A rare gem Alan; although come to think of it, not that rare as it’s entirely representative of the hendie oeuvre generally!

What I particularly love is the way you meld CAD and 3D printing with the most traditional of skills and in doing so demonstrate the value of both.

I'm a fully paid up member of the Ratatat club school of modeling.  (Recruits Any Tool, Any Technology, Any Time)

On 11/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, mick b said:

Superb modelling, the engine is a work of art;  just a pity you didn’t keep it as a Wasp 😉😁

Mike

:rofl2:

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. I finished the build yesterday, took a bunch of photos, uploaded them to postimage and proceeded to write this I think it's all over now post.

Then as I was adding images, adding comments etc. I got towards the end of the post and added a shot showing the cockpit interior and... dammit :rage: no cyclic lever :mental:

So, delete the images, grab the model -  I was just about to put it in the cabinet - and head back downstairs to add the cyclic. Bummer.

The forum software autosaved some of the post so at least that saves me trying to remember what I was rattling on about yesterday.  Here goes for the last time (hopefully)

Things were dangerously close to calling this a wrap so it was given the once over (again) and double checking of references to try and spot was was missing.

Of course I immediately spotted another one of those things I hate making - windscreen wipers.  Unfortunately I couldn't really find anything else to do instead so I couldn't put the job off any longer.

I had in my stash some PE wipers that I got for my DB5 build years ago and rushed to look them out.... too big!

Nothing for it then but to make them the old fashioned way.  Some .01" x .03" strip, plus another bit of same, plus a piece of 0.01" rod, add in some eye strain and some cursory cursing and I ended up with a pair of these - that's it resting there on a MkI digit

PB280002.jpg

which were then painted black and stuck on the front end with some cyano. There's also a couple of aerials in the making in that shot.

I'm glad that's over - those wipers weren't as easy as they look y'know.

PB280003.jpg

Neither was sticking them on.  Making them is one thing but sticking them on was rather nerve racking.  With such a small contact area, I had no option but to go for cyano again, and try my best to stop the hands shaking as I slowly moved them into position.  Success!

PB280008.jpg

One other (main) thing that was preventing me from finishing this build was the lack of the DANGER signs for the tail pylon. If you remember a few posts back, oor Bill of this parish bravely stepped up and took one for the team - and those decals arrived yesterday evening. Yippee!

The decals were perfect and I got those on pronto, glossed and flatted and that allowed me to get on with building up the remainder of the tail. Stainless wire used for the stays as usual.

PB280004.jpg

With the rotor head and blades painted, all that was left was to give them a protective clear and flat coat, then I remembered in time to paint on the ID colors for each of the rotors - now all I have to do is remember to add the correct blade to the appropriate pitch change rod.

PB280005.jpg

like so...

PB290007.jpg

A few more aerials were added, the tail rotor pushed on and I think we can call this finished - if anyone spots anything else obvious that I've missed, please let me know

PB290017.jpg

I think I'm done. I do. I really think I'm done on this build.  In the end, I have to say I really enjoyed the final stages.  Once I got past all the main modifications to the shape and got some color on it, I could then concentrate on the greeblification which is the part I enjoy the most.  The transmission deck was challenging but certainly enjoyable as it was one of those areas where you could see everything coming together and adding character to the build.

Anyhoos... enough said - here's a bunch of photos of the finished SCOUT (with cyclic) :D

PB290001.jpg

PB290002.jpg

PB290010.jpg

PB290013.jpg

PB290004.jpg

PB290009.jpg

PB290014.jpg

PB290015.jpg

PB290003.jpg

PB290006.jpg

and one last parting shot of the pièce de résistance 

PB290018.jpg

thanks for hanging in there while this prolonged build was enacted in fits and starts with the occasional sabbatical thrown in for good measure.

For those that have contacted me re: printed parts.  I have most of the parts printed but my printer screen started dying a few days ago. Another screen is on order and should be here this week, so I'll get that changed out and the remainder of the parts printed - I'll be in touch as soon as they're ready.

• Like 23

Well that is rather nice isn't it

Fabulous work on Scouty, looks the proper job

Well done maestro, bravo, magnifico and of course superbamundo2

(Wondering how many Wasp/Scout/Bandai/Fujimi-iterations there are hoping to get some Hendie bits on them out there?)

((could next year be a bumper year for little nauticals in big boy scale?))

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, hendie said:

I think I'm done. I do. I really think I'm done on this build.  In the end, I have to say I really enjoyed the final stages. 

I think I'm impressed.  I do.  I really think I'm (mega) impressed with this build.  In the end I have to say I really enjoyed every stage of it.

That's the executive summary of my thoughts.

For the detailed reasoning I adopt, repeat and aver my multiple expressions of approval posted throughout the build :D  (is that a lazy cop out? :whistle:)

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fritag said:

(is that a lazy cop out:whistle:)

A treatise, disconnected, on Hawks tells us not to be surprised...

Nah not really, quite innovative and humourous really.

;)

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, hendie said:

if anyone spots anything else obvious that I've missed, please let me know

I can only think of an opened ration pack and an empty Players No6 packet stuck under a seat.

Marvelous Scout. A tribute to printing wizardry and your modelling skill. Cor, what a beauty Mister!

• Like 1

Oh Alan, you have done a magnificent job on the Scout. All that work on the engine has paid dividends at to overall look of the model.

All in all, a fantastic build.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Better later than never. Well that’s my excuse. Brilliant finish to a wonderful build. Exceptional printed additions to boot. The last few shots of the wiper blades really show off those windows trims. They are so good. Bravo that man. 👏👏👏

Johnny.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I apparently liked this but failed to comment.  A grievous omission.  

What to say?

This is the standard to which I hope my Wessex will measure up.  It won’t, but I hope to get close.

Edited by mark.au
Proof reading and all that…
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 15:02, hendie said:

If we take the MRGB for example - just where do you start?  Well for me, looking at it from a CAD perspective, the MRGB is really a rather basic shape which can be revolved around a central axis like this:

Takes careful note of this update for (not-too-distant) future reference. 😁

Alan I can't for the life of me rationalize/explain/remember why I didn't keep up with your progress on this thread more attentively in the latter stages as it is (needless to say) yet another masterclass in rotary rectification.

You've caught the essential character of the bird quite handsomely.

In my defence I did spend the dying weeks of last year playing Echo and the Bunnymen vinyl that I hadn't listened to in over 30 years and it was a bit of an emotional time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2