Westland Scout 1/48 kit mangle/scratch/trash/bash

hendie

35 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Do you need the dryer curing thing?

You could but I use a couple of old margarine tubs filled with IPA.  First tub is the dirty wash - it gets rid of most of the excess/uncured resin, followed by the clean wash - to get rid of any remaining resin.  When the dirty tub gets too dirty I discard it, the old clean tub then becomes the dirty tub and I bring a new one in as the new clean tub. 

I did buy one of those UV Nail curing stations, but I find it's too harsh (the heat can warp parts) and I now do all 99.5% my curing on the window cill.

There's a bunch of consumables, but they're all nice and cheap. Things such as nitrile gloves, IPA, squeegee (for car vinyl), plastic razor blades, and so forth, but nothing crazily expensive.  The resin itself is about $20 for half a liter, and that will generally last me for months

35 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Do I need to check out your other printing endeavors ? 

Have you checked out my Wapiti thread.  That should give you a good idea of what's possible with these printers

along with Tony's Sea Vixen of course

and the worlds your oyster. 

It can become addictive though.  There you are, working away on a kit... you see a feature that's not well defined, or just plain wrong, and it's off to the keyboard for some design work and a couple of hours later the printer is fired up and chugging away

Then there's just the downright impossible - when you are building something so custom that parts just aren't available as in my Pegasus build

(warning - don't click link unless you have a few weeks of your life to waste away)

In this shot, the luggage racks, chairs, wall lamps, table lamps, and curtains were all 3D printed

P7140006.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Oh my I didn’t realise the Pullman had come so far. I did dip in now and again but it’s been a while. It does seem like a good idea. The Mars 3 is out soon and it’s not that much more. Maybe a Christmas gift to myself? 😇

1 hour ago, hendie said:

I did buy one of those UV Nail curing stations, but I find it's too harsh (the heat can warp parts) and I now do all 99.5% my curing on the window cill.

That just convinced me that I don’t need that other booth. I just inherited a sun facing 1:1 Cill. 🤩

I’ll just go looky the wapiti for a bit while I talk myself into it. 
😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/26/2021 at 4:55 PM, AdrianMF said:

I must say just painting a bit green makes it a lot more scouty and a lot less waspish! Nice. Enjoy your break!

Regards,

Adrian

thanks Adrian. I agree, it's a much nicer scheme than that horrible blue color :D

It's been a busy week here what with traveling earlier in the week and a bunch of other stuff going on at work, and trying to get some modeling time under my belt too.

In the few odd moments I had to spare I colored in the engines. I thought it wise to do two and pick the best at the end of the day, and just in case I break one in the process.  There's always the chance I'll break both of them, but I'm feeling bullish.

P9300002.jpg

The real big task of this week though were the seats.  When I was drawing these seats up I couldn't find a good shot showing the location of the harness lock, so I added one on the left hand side of the seat.  No sooner had I printed these and started painting when I came across a shot that showed the lock attached to the front leg :rant:

Okay I thought, I'll have a bash but it soon became clear that my skills weren't up to the task, and the superglue was even less up to the task.  Back to having the locks on the seat pan then.  The two seats on the left are my attempts at the lock on the front leg, and the two on the right have the lock attached to the seat pan (much neater imo)

PA010004.jpg

I have since come across a few other shots that show that lock fitted in different locations so I'm quite happy with my choice now.

The one really bad thing about seats is that they have harnesses, and I'm way too tight to pay for such after-market niceties. Therefore, I have to make my own. 

Mucho thanks to Bill for pointing me in the right direction re: color, which was later confirmed when I stumbled across a shot of a 660 Sqn Scout clearly showing the seat harnesses were black.

As always, my go-to in these situations is the old cigarette packet liner paper, this time painted grimy flat black.  Each section of harness is about 0.7 to 0.8mm wide.

The 'labels' are more cig paper painted light grey, and the buckles are a combination of cig paper and a small length of styrene rod, both painted blue. At this scale, and from far enough away, and if you have eyesight like mine, they look convincing enough.

PA010005.jpg

But oh boy are they time consuming and a real pain to make.

Some hours later we have yet more bits of harness

PA010007.jpg

Idiot that I am, I attempted to make the male attachment point on the side straps using 0.2mm wire. Once again, from far enough away it doesn't look too bad.  It provides something to glint in the light and suggest there's a buckle thingy there.

PA020008.jpg

After a few more hours we actually get one seat completed.  I've left the fun part for last - removing the seats from the supports. Made even fun-en-er when the parts are fully cured and quite brittle.

PA020010.jpg

Perseverance saved the day so it's obviously time now for a mojo-boosting dry fit.

PA020012.jpg

For the driver I added the collective from styrene and brass rod. It looks terrible in this shot, but honest guv, it looks better not quite so bad in the flesh

PA020014.jpg

Transmission deck hardware was given some Flory and a matt coat. Nowhere near our Spadgents standards but should look okay when it's all covered by piping and other gubbinses

PA020015.jpg

the Nimbii also got dirtied up a bit, probably a bit too much judging by this shot, but they've been flat coated so I'm going to run with them.

As you can see, I've also started the ridiculous task of adding piping. Okay, it's only one wire, but it's a start.

PA020016.jpg

Lastly for this update, and this make be the straw that breaks the camels back - the windscreen/canopy affair.

There is a huge gap between the canopy and the airframe.   I can fit it tight to the rear, and it leaves an almost 2mm gap to the airframe at the front.   If I fit it tight to the front, I get the same 2mm gap at the back end.

Since I have to fair in the front end anyway, I chose to attach the canopy to the rear frame first and when that's cured and hardened off, I'm going to try and force the canopy forward to fix it in place, then fair it in.

PA020013.jpg

Of course, it may just break. I'll find out one way or another. Until I get the canopy fitted it's going to hold up the build as I need to get the airframe painted before I can start adding all the interesting greeblies behind the cabin. The tail. Dammit. I can't forget the tail - I need to modify that as well. Oh bother.

Maybe I'll print some more engines off just in case.

• Like 18

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Maybe I'll print some more engines off just in case.

I'll take a bakers dozen. They look fabulous. As do the seats/harness'/buckles etc. Time well spent.

Good luck fitting the canopy!

• Like 1

If I ever buy another Scout (I quite fancy the ETPS colour scheme) I intend asking very nicely and paying for the privilege of enquiring whether that Nimbus can be downsized to 1/72 scale.

I have made three over the years but none even begin to approach the 'utter realness' of your prints Alan, adding piping would be a delightful pleasure to one of yours ditto the MRGB.

Fabulous

Re: the canopy, would judicious lessening of the plastic at the fuselage's back by tapering the fitment joint allow a better angle of approach to the fore-screen location I wonder?

I had several "dat don't  go dere!" moments on my Scout at first, alleviated by reducing 'the defecit'

Anyway, as customary in a Hendie build

W O W

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They look fabulous. As do the seats/harness'/buckles etc. Time well spent.

Agree on all counts, pure viewing pleasures in that last update Alan.

• Like 2

Lovely stuff as usual.

Does either of the roof fitting options result in a level roof? If so I'd go with that.

Sorry, just thinking in print,  I know you thunk of that!

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Hendie, just caught up with this one. That's a big win for 3d printing, I suspect a lot of people are contemplating getting one after seeing your recent adventures. Those engines look amazing, I can't help but wonder when you're going to scratchbuild a Scout to fit the spare one to. ;)

Richie

• Like 1

Welcome back to the campfire folks, pull up a log and perch yer bums on 'em.  Don't get too close - you might see the defects.

There's not been a whole lot of progress on the Scout this week - between my compressor playing up, work getting in the way and life getting even more in the way, modeling time has been a very scarce commodity.

I'm also back off on my travels again all of next week for another molding project, and for the Annual Board meeting of the molding institute, so a busy week ahead.

Bill, thanks for all the input and suggestions regarding the compressor. I managed to find an O-ring that sealed, but there's other issues going on. The compressor won't achieve more than approx.18 psi and a 10 second spray drops the pressure down to almost zero.  I've spent enough time and money on it to date and I figure that getting 8 years of pleasure out of it is good enough to call it a day.  I've bit the bullet and ordered another compressor from down the river.  If I get bored in future I can revisit it and see if I can figure out what's going on.

The rounds

On 10/3/2021 at 2:34 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll take a bakers dozen. They look fabulous. As do the seats/harness'/buckles etc. Time well spent.

Good luck fitting the canopy!

Luck, plastic cement, milliput, sproo-gloop, and a lot of French used so far Pete.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:08 AM, perdu said:

If I ever buy another Scout (I quite fancy the ETPS colour scheme) I intend asking very nicely and paying for the privilege of enquiring whether that Nimbus can be downsized to 1/72 scale.

I have made three over the years but none even begin to approach the 'utter realness' of your prints Alan, adding piping would be a delightful pleasure to one of yours ditto the MRGB.

Fabulous

Re: the canopy, would judicious lessening of the plastic at the fuselage's back by tapering the fitment joint allow a better angle of approach to the fore-screen location I wonder?

I had several "dat don't  go dere!" moments on my Scout at first, alleviated by reducing 'the defecit'

Anyway, as customary in a Hendie build

W O W

Bill, if you ever do another Scout I would be honored to at least attempt a Nimbus in 1/72 for you though I don't know just how much detail would be able to be captured.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:10 AM, TheBaron said:

Agree on all counts, pure viewing pleasures in that last update Alan.

thanks Tony - should be a nice anti-climax this time around then

On 10/6/2021 at 8:14 AM, coneheadff said:

Fantastic Hendie!

Every update is something special...WOW!!!

I think this one is more of an Hhhmmnnnnn  :hmmm:

On 10/6/2021 at 10:30 AM, Brandy said:

Lovely stuff as usual.

Does either of the roof fitting options result in a level roof? If so I'd go with that.

Sorry, just thinking in print,  I know you thunk of that!

Ian

hi Ian, yup, I had thunkit and aloes triedit, before almost flingingit. Neither option gave me a truly level roof.  See damage report below

On 10/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, Paul Bradley said:

Not sure if these are of any help - taken at Middle Wallop back in 1984. 

<snip>

great shots Paul, and yes, they have/will come in handy - many thanks

On 10/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, Shorty84 said:

I'm loving what you do with this kit. Every update is a pleasure and well worth the wait!

Cheers

Markus

thanks Markus

On 10/7/2021 at 3:05 PM, RichieW said:

Hi Hendie, just caught up with this one. That's a big win for 3d printing, I suspect a lot of people are contemplating getting one after seeing your recent adventures. Those engines look amazing, I can't help but wonder when you're going to scratchbuild a Scout to fit the spare one to. ;)

Richie

Only one Scout in this lifetime Richie. It's taken me nearly sixty two years to get to this one. In another sixty two years it'll be, well...

On 10/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, Maginot said:

Those seats are a master class. But what a brute of a build.

thanks Maginot. I do find that the seat harnesses really bring the seats to life and they are not particularly difficult to do. I also think that the material (cigarette packet lining paper) lends itself to this type of work, and can produce results more realistic than a lot of the aftermarket stuff.

Now on to this weeks chores. Windows. Hate 'em.  I don't know why, but canopies give me more issues than any other component. Every build, every time. Hate 'em.

As previously intimated, I chose to go down the slippery slope of attaching the canopy to the rear of the fuselage first. Mind the gap folks! 

PA030001.jpg

Oh yeah. Gotta love a nearly 1.5mm gap long that front edge.   Luckily I had the foresight to glue in a strip of styrene (the white bit) before the glass went on as it is about the only place that canopy is going to touch.

Some gentle persuasion was employed to bring the canopy as far forward as I could get it without (hopefully) overstressing any of the structure.

PA030002.jpg

The end result looks better here in the photo than it does in the flesh.  At least I have a chance of making this work - in a slap-dash sort of way. There's still a decent trench to be infilled though.

PA030003.jpg

In regards to you comment about the level-ity of the canopy Ian, there's about a 0.5mm difference between the front and rear on one side and just under a millimeter on t'other side. It's not very noticeable and I think once the greeblies are scattered around, they should confuse the eyes enough to make it imperceptible.

I used masking tape to protect the windscreen and troweled the milliput into the chasm, and smooshed it down as best as I could.  This is first pass with the micromesh.

PA070005.jpg

while the milliput was being thrashed around I threw some on the tail pylon as it needs quite some modification. This is first pass with ye old Fyle and before I checked the drawings closely enough to realize I had taken too much off the back end.  Cue second application of the yellow stuff.

PA070006.jpg

Since I can't really paint anything at the moment I can at least enjoy the 3D'ing.  I had a bash at the blower-sucker motor. I should have shown the kit part as comparison - it's sort of laughable.  This was created purely by guesstimating from photos and estimating ratios between the blower and the Nimbus.

Yup. It was too big to fit on the deck.

PA070007.jpg

It didn't die in vain though.  It was useful to use as a reference for reducing feature sizes on the second version. I probably spent about 2 hours on the initial design, then maybe 15 minutes on the edits.

Left side = original. Right side = this blower has been resized to fit the screen and edited for content.  But does it fit?

PA080009.jpg

Just and only just.

PA080008.jpg

The more I looked at the Nimbii the unhappier I was with my coloring in.  I think I've gone too far with the weathering and I doubt if they would ever have looked that grubby in service.  I think Giorgio should volunteer to paint all my engines and exhausts for me but he's so selfish  :giggle:

Therefore... and you probably know where this is going

Since I was printing stuff anyway, I made a few greeble edits and printed another couple of engines.  There's slightly more detail on a few parts (all of which is damn near invisible at this scale) but the major addition is the engine supports at the front which I only spotted recently on some photos.

PA080010.jpg

Hereby endeth this weeks jamboree. No badges for coloring in, but I might be a good way to earning my 3D printing badge by now.

New compressor is on order and should arrive late Sunday so I probably will not get a chance to try it out before I skive off on another jolly up North.

Dib Dib, be prepared chaps, and keep those masks handy

• Like 12

Blimey (stronger words were thought, but this a family site after all!) When you said gap you really did mean GAP! Hopefully the miliput will do a grand job as "windscreen filler/support" - certainly looks better with it than without it!

Engine greeblies/extras coming on very nicely too.

Ian

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Now on to this weeks chores. Windows. Hate 'em.  I don't know why, but canopies give me more issues than any other component

Did 28 ever operate submarines? We'll club together and fly @Martian out to give you some tips on building them.

Those blowers look quite insectoid. Like they could walk off the page. 

I liked the grubby engine, ah well. Maybe it was due for a service. The new one looks good too.

Have a good & safe jolly. See you next time.

9 hours ago, hendie said:

might be a good way to earning my 3D printing badge by now.

Have you been watching Hey Duggee? 

• Haha 3

The master at work!  Those seats and new belts look fantastic. Although leaving them on the supports while painting makes me twitch even more I know they’re off and well. 😬 I think your colouring in is rather splendid but how nice is it just to pop out another (and slightly improved) part than to strip it down and start again. 
I’m taking all of my cues from your measured work, but your repertoire is so vast I’m in doubt if I’ll ever be so proficient.  Happy new compressor day for Sunday. 🥳 

Johnny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Did 28 ever operate submarines? We'll club together and fly @Martian out to give you some tips on building them.

Sadly, to date, I have had to refrain from visiting the USA in order to avoid a mass panic. Just look what happened when H. G. Wells' War of the Worlds was broadcast on the radio. Heaven only knows what would happen if a real Martian turned up at JFK Airport! Actually it would more likely be New York Docks as when I do eventually get round to visiting, I intend to have Sarah-Jane loaded on to the Queen Mary II and do the crossing in the proper way. I am still expecting the same mass panic though.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Martian said:

I intend to have Sarah-Jane loaded on to the Queen Mary II and do the crossing in the proper way.

There are probably cheaper, and easier ways to go and get spares for a TR7 though. 🚗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

There are probably cheaper, and easier ways to go and get spares for a TR7 though. 🚗

Coming to the end of a complete restoration, there had better not be any need for spares for a good while! :fight: I intend to use Sarah-Jane as my means of conveyance during my progress. If pitch up in the old Haunebu and even it I leave it parked at JFK, there will be some yokel in the back of beyond, on the other side of the States who will claim that I landed next to them and abducted them!

The "I Didn't Do It" (in advance) Alien 👽

• Haha 4

The only way to prevent a mass panic Martian, might be to have  @general melchett as your co-pilot/Navigator when you come off the boat. Wait strike that. That might be worse. Oh H.G. Well, its been a long time since we had a good Martian Invasion.  So we're due. Reminds me of a line from an old 60's comedy (Heavy Russian accent) "Emergency! Everyone to get from street!" And if you know what movie that line came from, you just dated yourself:clif:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

The only way to prevent a mass panic Martian, might be to have  @general melchett as your co-pilot/Navigator when you come off the boat. Wait strike that. That might be worse.

My understanding is that it is Baldrick that does the navigating. In the doubtful case of arriving in the right country, that would cause a mass exodus from the US. Better get cracking on that wall Mr Trudeau!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

On 10/3/2021 at 9:08 AM, hendie said:

Lastly for this update, and this make be the straw that breaks the camels back - the windscreen/canopy affair.

Yeah, not very good, is it? Lots of filling on mine but it isn't the best.

• Like 1