Westland Scout 1/48 kit mangle/scratch/trash/bash

hendie

Great work with the brass seats Hendie, although, I couldn't see much wrong with the plastic ones. The framing was lighter on the plastic ones and looke dto me a tad better scale wise. Anyway, you are not going to draw me into this one by nice comments. As I mentioned Merlins and Wessex to build not to mention a Dauphin II, I started to help a friend who was not a helo modeller with his build... That one languishs back in it's box...

Colin

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

she must be well peed off!

her and me both!

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

The framing was lighter on the plastic ones and looked to me a tad better scale wise

I think I'd agree with that statement.  I must check and see if I've got any smaller diameter rod laying about

6 hours ago, hendie said:

her and me both!

I think I'd agree with that statement.  I must check and see if I've got any smaller diameter rod laying about

Concur. I wish I'd done the same now, instead of modifying the kit seats. Not changing it, though!

Hi Hendie,

Someone at Telford had a 1/48th Scout converted from the Fujimi Wasp kit and made a good job of it. With your skills it should be easy!

Now if you can hang on for a couple of weeks, my Warpaint book on the Scout & Wasp will be published and has all the engine detail drawings you need.

Good Luck! 

Adrian

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

hi Folks.  It's been a long time since I wandered in here.  I've been following @Chewbacca's Wasp thread

and it got me all excited and thinking about my own Scout build that I started a while back.  I seem to remember that I did start it as a diversion build, but the diversion went on for a lot longer than I imagined.   

I dug the box out the other day when my Pegasus build was starting to drag and fondled a few parts.   Namely the engine and main rotor gearbox.

If you remember, I wasn't that impressed with the gearbox

P2080008.jpg

So I diddled around on SolidWorks and created this version

MRGB.png

Likewise, the engine seemed a little wanting for something a bit more detailed

P2080006.jpg

So more diddling produced this

Nimbus-4-View.png

Neither of these are quite finished yet, and t.

Still, even what I have now is better than the kit part I think there's a bit more work to be done.  In particular those exhausts are troublesome - it seems that every photo I look at has a different exhaust fitted.

You've probably guessed by now that I am planning to print these little doobries.  It's going to be interesting and I think I am going to be pushing the limits of the printer to  capture a lot of the detail that's on the engine.  The diameter of the main intake is only Ø12 mm while the main body is about Ø5 mm.  Still, there's nothing to lose by trying is there?

My plan is to block out most of the detail on the engine and leave all the pipework etc. to be done by adding wires and suchlike later - we'll see how that goes.

I might do  some test prints later this week - I'm waiting on more resin arriving, hopefully tomorrow sometime

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well if the 3D printing comes out anywhere near as good as the CAD it's make  huge improvement over the blobs that I'm working with.  I haven't got into 3D printing yet despite someone at one of the clubs I go to swearing by it, able to create utter masterpieces with really fine detail and has recently produced the CAD for a 1/72 Tribal Class destroyer.  My only attempt were some ventilators (ranging in size from 4mm up to about 11mm) for the BULOLO build which although the CAD looked fine, when my son printed them for me on his university's £50K 3D printer, they ended up looking like a squad of Minions.

Incidentally, having just been alerted to this thread I've read it from the start.  The seats themselves are the same height but they have height adjusters to allow for different height aircrew.  You can see the linkage that allows this on the bottom of the frame on the pilot's seat in #29.  Although like you I remade the seat frames, I drew the line at that linkage as I felt it wouldn't have been strong enough in Evergreen rod (I think that part of the frame was 20 thou rod).  In brass you could probably get the strength!

I look forward to learning from a master.

• Like 4

Aha, let the good times roll back in

I do like the engine you are going to print, can I suggest you put a less tapered jet-pipe which is more representative of in service Army machines

The pipe is mainly the same diameter between the pipes and has a kind of pinched look where in  joins the last stage of compressor fan blades

This was shown in the magazine article our own Martian did for (possible) Scale Aircraft Modelling or some such mag from the golden era of modelling publications

It IS possible to find the article on line, (acos I did) and Alan Hall's Wasp conversion article which contains the drawings by Bob Hunt of the plan view showing the closeness of the inner jet-pipes

Looks as if the rotor gearbox is perfect, might be an idea to put that on the Hendieparts site once the inevitable pfettlising is done

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hendie said:

My plan is to block out most of the detail on the engine and leave all the pipework etc. to be done by adding wires and suchlike later - we'll see how that goes.

Who says men can't multitask eh? 😁

Both gearbox and engine should prove a good workout for the printer with that variety of form and cross-section. Hours of fun working out where the supports go... 

Hope the resin arrives soon as dying to see these materialize.

30 minutes ago, perdu said:

can I suggest you put a less tapered jet-pipe which is more representative of in service Army machines

This forum. Never ceases to amaze me with the level of knowledge it yields.

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

This was shown in the magazine article our own Martian did for (possible) Scale Aircraft Modelling or some such mag from the golden era of modelling publications

Believe he was the Page 7 Fella in that issue as well...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

........ can I suggest you put a less tapered jet-pipe which is more representative of in service Army machines

The pipe is mainly the same diameter between the pipes and has a kind of pinched look where in  joins the last stage of compressor fan blades

A couple of photo's from the Helicopter Museum.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see this resurrected, I know how you feel about the diversion build going on far longer that expected, I seem to have a few of them including my wasp. Although in the back of my mind is the mantra that if I leave it long enough some one out there will lose patience and correct all the foibles of the kit making it easier for the rest of us, or maybe Airfix would come out with their version that wouldn't be perfect but would be a much more accurate starting base. Anyway your main bits are looking very sweet!

Bob

• Like 1

The more I study Hendie's plotting the better it looks to me, this has to be the dog's appendages

Can't wait to see it 'in resin'

Will you be plotting the rotor brake and transmission unit as one piece Alan?, It's beautifully complex and well deserving of a small separate unit

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 3:18 AM, Chewbacca said:

Well if the 3D printing comes out anywhere near as good as the CAD it's make  huge improvement over the blobs that I'm working with. 

I think this might be my most challenging print job yet

On 5/6/2020 at 3:18 AM, Chewbacca said:

although the CAD looked fine, when my son printed them for me on his university's £50K 3D printer, they ended up looking like a squad of Minions.

The new breed of resin printers are streets ahead of the old FDM printers. Prices have dropped drastically in the last year and are (IMO) realistically priced.

Here's a couple of wine glasses I printed last week or so

P4250013.jpg

and if you are wondering what size they are.... here's some 1:1 fingers as reference

P4250011.jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, perdu said:

I do like the engine you are going to print, can I suggest you put a less tapered jet-pipe which is more representative of in service Army machines

Bill, on all the photo's I've examined, the pipes are tapered on a top view, but look uniform on a side view. I've messed about with them as best I can and I think I have them close enough now.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:24 AM, limeypilot said:

ooh, more printery stuff! Should be interesting!

Ian

the resin arrived so it won't be long now

On 5/6/2020 at 4:46 AM, TheBaron said:

Both gearbox and engine should prove a good workout for the printer with that variety of form and cross-section. Hours of fun working out where the supports go... 

The gearbox I can do easily in one piece. The engine is another matter.  I may try and print it as one just to see what happens.  I'mexpecting to lose some detail, but just how much remains to be seen.  Clean up is going to be a pig though

On 5/6/2020 at 4:53 AM, bootneck said:

A couple of photo's from the Helicopter Museum.

Mucho thanks - very helpful

On 5/6/2020 at 8:45 AM, moaning dolphin said:

or maybe Airfix would come out with their version that wouldn't be perfect but would be a much more accurate starting base

There's something rewarding in taking these old kits and seeing just what can be done with them.  I loved the old Hawk Lysander build.

Anyways, further CADinations are up.  Main rotor gearbox, finished now I think

MRGB.png

As is the engine.  I know there's more stuff bunged in on the top end but I can't find any decent photo's showing the gubbins stuffed in there.

Nimbus-4-View.png

A shot up the rear just for Ced.

Capture.png

Then MRGB and engine together

Full-Assy.png

I'm not entirely sure what the height above the platform is so there may be some filing or sticking on bits to get the height right but I won't know until  I have these in my hands.

I may also have a go at printing the main rotor shaft as the kit part isn't up to much there either.

Must be about time to go and work on that train again

• Like 12

S'looks lovely

About that taper on the jet-pipes please allow me to grovel about that, I hadn't actually noticed* from just looking at my photos how much inner taper there is

And I did so want you not to make the earlier, tiny tapered version

If you wish I can search my archive of Nimbus engine pictures to see what is up on top but to be honest I dont think you have much missing

*Looking at my build threads it seems I noticed when making the models, I seem to have them right-ish

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

The new breed of resin printers are streets ahead of the old FDM printers. Prices have dropped drastically in the last year and are (IMO) realistically priced.

Here's a couple of wine glasses I printed last week or so

and if you are wondering what size they are.... here's some 1:1 fingers as reference

Wow, that's incredible compared to the stuff I've dabbled in previously.  And a quick look on Mr Amazon shows indeed that they're actually not that expensive.  I am very tempted...get behind me Satan before I do something rash! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 3:12 AM, perdu said:

S'looks lovely

About that taper on the jet-pipes please allow me to grovel about that, I hadn't actually noticed* from just looking at my photos how much inner taper there is

And I did so want you not to make the earlier, tiny tapered version

If you wish I can search my archive of Nimbus engine pictures to see what is up on top but to be honest I dont think you have much missing

*Looking at my build threads it seems I noticed when making the models, I seem to have them right-ish

How does this look to you Bill

On 5/8/2020 at 4:01 AM, Chewbacca said:

Wow, that's incredible compared to the stuff I've dabbled in previously.  And a quick look on Mr Amazon shows indeed that they're actually not that expensive.  I am very tempted...get behind me Satan before I do something rash! 

In case you are wondering, I have the Elegoo Mars as does Tony ( @TheBaron ) and can wholeheartedly recommend it.  I am constantly amazed by the output of this entry level machine.

I guess you're all wondering how it turned out then?  Well, wait no longer.  The resin arrived this week and I ran a print job today.

Be warned though - these prints are straight out of the bath with no clean up other than a quick rinse in some Simple Green and some manky IPA (which I can't get hold of at all and my supplies are so low that it may actually affect modeling in the weeks to come.

I may need to give them another scrub tomorrow to clean the rest of the gloop off.

First up is the MRGB.  The kit one is the one on the left in case you were wondering  :bleh:

I'd say the printer did a reasonable job there.

P5090003.jpg

And now the engine.  This was brought into Chitubox and I just selected the default "add all supports" with no changes. The software did a reasonable job though two supports attached to the exhausts are going to be problematic for clean up

P5090001.jpg

but I also brought in another model and did my own support job. Due to the overall height and the layer height, this ended up being a 6 hour print job, but worth it

P5090004.jpg

plenty detail has been captured and this will be a good base to work from.  It's going to be fun adding all that pipework and assorted gubbinses

P5090005.jpg

The 1:1 digits for scale and you can also see how fine those exhausts are at the exit

P5090007.jpg

That's all for this post - I just wanted to get the photos up for folks to see.  We'll see how they all clean up and who knows - I may even get working on that Scout in the next week or two

• Like 16

I love it, version two for me please.

Would it have been easy to add the jetpipe thermocouples ready to be wired up.

The longer print time has paid dividends, massive ones even though I cannot quite put my finger on why.

Love the MRG.

Proper job there, does it have the helical gearing inside?

It looks like our friend Poncy Blue Jack the Sailor can be reassigned to the place where you put your interesting, but weirdly wrong, plastic bits.

IPA is still available here but increased from £12 a litre to a scandalous £20+ per litre here on eBay and with supplies becoming less fractious and distilleries still pumping it out I hope you will have better luck getting it somewhere.  :(

If you want I will try an order to be delivered to a golf course in America  :)

• Like 1