The Mini Lathe Thread

hendie

Nice thread, thanks to @hendie for pointing it out to me. 

Three great sources of information 

I started using the lathe and milling machine last January. My three most valuable sources of information have been:

- The book 'Machine Shop Essentials' by Frank Marlow. Unlike other 'books for beginners' that start off assuming the reader has at least some basic knowledge of machine working, the book by Frank Marlow is intended for absolute beginners. Reading through it, you'll quickly learn all the basics (and more). Incredible source of knowledge, many clear drawings, the book was written in a very comprehensible way. 

- The books 'The Complete Car Modeler' by Gerald Wingrove. As a (scratch) car modeler these two books are must-haves. If you don't build cars you can still use the books (although they are not as easy to read as the book 'Machine Shop Essentials') to see what these machines can do to turn your raw metal into a scale model. 

- Also mainly for car modelers, I found this build report by Britmodeler forum member Propeller very inspiring. He explains what he does and how he does it. The results are fantastic. 

My own build thread

Hendie contacted me in this thread of mine, the build of a Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix racing car of 1927. In that thread I detailedly describe the way I struggle myself through mistakes and attempts to build something I like, using lathe and milling machine. One could say I don't give up easily and I am patient, so that I might sometimes need quite a few attempts to finalize a part the way I'd like to see it, but eventually I'd usually get there. That whole process, including all mistakes, is consistently described, because I think it's of use to the reader to not only speak of success but also of failure. I like to see the thread as a 'beginners guide by a beginner' and I'm lucky that experienced machinists have taken the trouble to comment on my work. In this post I have given a description of my lathe and its accessories, in this post the same but regarding the mill plus accessories. 

• Like 2

Roy, I have been following your thread for a while now. Your posts are very informative and entertaining.

My own work on the lathe has been at a very simple level.  Everything I have done to date has been purely by eye. I hope that as I progress with the lathe I do start to use a true engineering approach as you are doing.  That is not to say that there are times when doing things by eye is perfectly acceptable- it all depends upon what you are trying to achieve

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

Glad I found this thread. I have a Sherline lathe and mill. Self taught and feel like I'm just just scratching the surface compared to some of the experienced members here. 

I Initially purchased a lathe and mill because I was so unhappy with the quality of Pocher wire wheels once I was finally able to buy a kit. I had an adult dream of assembling the wheels, thought the rims were one piece and were actually chrome plated. I was quite perturbed once I found out how they were made. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as It made me start down the road to learning a new craft. Wire wheels are very complex items, which I soon discovered. I believe I finally was able to make some decent replicas. However, I wish there was a way to easily dimple rims, which I could never figure out how to machine in (without CNC). Now I have some ideas but they would involve a press of some sort.

This was all some time ago and now I'm starting to get back into modeling. Looking forward to this new chapter!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

Having recently found myself trying to turn pieces of polstyrene and resin using a dremel  as the source of rotation, it occurred to me that a small lathe was the way to go.I am only ever likely to be turning plastic or *maybe* brass,  but if I  do turn brass it will be starting from a round section anyway.  Likely to be playing down to the 0.75mm diameter, up to small numbers of centimeters... I'm predominantly a 1/32nd scale aeromodeller.

A swift bit of Googling didn't really help me find out what is available in the sub £200 range, that would be appropriate for this use case, which is any good! Are there any helpful suggestions from the Britmodeller Massive?

Regards,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 5:47 PM, Chaotic Mike said:

Hello all,

Having recently found myself trying to turn pieces of polstyrene and resin using a dremel  as the source of rotation, it occurred to me that a small lathe was the way to go.I am only ever likely to be turning plastic or *maybe* brass,  but if I  do turn brass it will be starting from a round section anyway.  Likely to be playing down to the 0.75mm diameter, up to small numbers of centimeters... I'm predominantly a 1/32nd scale aeromodeller.

A swift bit of Googling didn't really help me find out what is available in the sub £200 range, that would be appropriate for this use case, which is any good! Are there any helpful suggestions from the Britmodeller Massive?

Regards,

Mike

Hi MIke.... Dont go for the miniture multifunction  lathe mill..and the rule of thumb is normally think of the sizes you normally machine and get a size bigger at least. Im not sure you will get anything that is in your price range that is any good.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...