A GOTHA

krow113

Hdawg; Thanks.

All of the gauges are from the kit, just placed where I would like them. See the WNW website for Gotha instructions to see the individual gauge's purpose.

I am immersed in the camo artwork. Last night I drew polygonal shapes for an hour in Signlab  , I was only able to do around 30 , lining them up and defining shapes , after creation I'll need to place a color ID on each one. Color ID will be a number in the color , or a circle of color ....  The job is being defined as it progress' . I'll be on it for most of the day.

The K color ivory primer has arrived , this will be the primer of choice for the main components of the model. Nothing other than wanting to try their product is the reasoning there , and I think I can mix it down to represent the doped linen:

IMG_2943.jpg

3 hours work and only half done the camo vectoring !

Onward...

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

And getting it done.

Here is the full size polycamo artwork , fit into my Gotha shapes , rendered on paper :

IMG_2951.jpg

As you can see the shapes are generous , I thought I could fine tune them for this model and I will , staring at irregular polygons for 6 plus hours is enough for today:

IMG_2947.jpg

30" wingspan on the dio base:

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

24" ruler:

IMG_2955.jpg

Thanks for lookin"!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Thanks for the info on the back of the IP and for posting additional pix, Steve. Kudos to you for using your experience, and common sense, to pull it all together.

I agree about the increase in quality from the Gotha to the AEG kits. Having completed the bulk of my AEG, and now going back to the Gotha, really brings home how far WnW has come. Very exciting to see where they will go in the years to come.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 2

Scratchbiuilt 2 cm Becker cannon test shots. The book Gotha! has a pic that is almost perfect in 1/32 scale , I used this and the dimensions of a cannon shell , the only dimensions I could come up with to make the weapon:

IMG_4877.jpg

Other ref pics were printed out and mounted on a board for the construction process:

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_9501.jpg

The cannon is constructed in what I believe to be the cocked position , ready to fire.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Thank you Michael & John.

This thread may be looking a little redundant, however it is relevant I assure you. 

14 hours of computer work yield a a field of polygonal shapes fitted to my upper wing outline. These vectors are all individual , all smoothed and corners in place nicely. SignLab has a feature that when you are in close (even though I blew it up to 300" ) the nodes will shoot to each other as you grab them with the cursor , kind of a 'snap to ' effect. That made it a lot easier , much like just 'punting' the node and it flies right to the joint with the others.The plot shown is a pen plot to check the shapes.

There are 2 separate mask panels ,  I think the wings can be painted in 2 pieces , they are the same but different .

31" l x 4" w hand drawn 5 color polygonal night camo:

IMG_2965.jpg

• Like 1

Man, of man.....this is an amazing example of the interface between model building and the wizardry of Technoworld. We are really, really in a golden age. I'll say again I envy you you ability to do this sort of thing. My mind boggles at the possibilities!

Kudos to you for sticking with it, Steve.

I await applications of color breathlessly......

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 1

Hdawg , Michael ; Thank you.

Sanity ranges from near wacko to serene complacency.

Modelling has little emotional effect , myself having been trained to keep emotion at bay in the work process. Sometimes that's a trial , but a necessary evil.

Any way , yes after using a linen counter to check the individual shapes , I will be applying a colored number to each. This type of work is prone to pitfalls , I am hoping that these will reveal themselves in time for correction or adjustment. The camo panels can now be modified for the other parts of the plane , tail , fuselage , etc. I have kept the polycamo to the fewest parts for the most obvious of reasons!

Shapes were inspected and some issues cleared up. I am in the process of numbering each shape .This will be with a black number from 1 - 5 , that is the best way to me to do it. Switching to Corel now applying the cut color as well. 458 shapes to be numbered.

One last check over and divide by 5 (colors) layout 92 sets of 1-5 and got to it~!

Each check is an opportunity to fix shapes , lineup corners and finally apply a number to each shape.

The Big Unit prints the numbers first:

IMG_2973.jpg

Then goes back and cuts the vectors , which it is doing real time:

IMG_2974.jpg

You can see the churned up material at the upper right , this was an attempt to cut the material in on 4" x 31" go. Cutting the layout into 2 pieces (as the wings are) resulted in a more manageable size for the machine.

You can see here the numbered and cut 5 color handpainted polygonal night camouflage:

IMG_2976.jpg

Very raw. Very interesting. Very cool.

Looks like a workeable procedure so far. I'll cut 3-4 extras and then see about getting it onto the parts for a test fitting.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

I out put several sets of the camo mask.

Here are the two wing pieces with the parts on one:

IMG_2979.jpg

Still very generous:

IMG_2977.jpg

Transfer tape applied:

IMG_2983.jpg

Drawn around and cut out:

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

Applied:

IMG_2989.jpg

Wait 15 mins for the low tack adhesive to act. Then wet the transfer tape to allow release:

IMG_2992.jpg

Always peel the transfer tape back flat to alleviate a pulling up of the mask components.

And so a masked wing:

IMG_2994.jpg

I did cut too much off , but as this is simply a test , no biggie:

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

As a test this showed me first and foremost this is a viable way to do the camo I want.

I can see how much to leave around the edge as well and the two bumps near the middle are easily addressed.

I can now go ahead and layout the shapes for the fuse and tail area.

Thanks for lookin"!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 5

Cfox , Michael. Thank you.

The set continues to grow , tonight I'm laying out the fuse mask which will straddle the fuselage , top and sides.  I also laid out a color sheet with the paint options and numbers as well. Mixing the paint and having it clearly marked and ready when its time to do the work will help.

As for production for other interested parties , I have done that for most of my working career building signs and choppers and many other items for customers. I have also supplied masks to modellers , that is a minefield and sometimes disheartening. The rise of the 'kiddie cutters' began a decline of work there ! I still do the odd request as that was my thing , rare subjects , usually for members of the subjects family . And not undercutting already available mask suppliers.

One of my mask and decal sets was on Telford Gold winner.

For this mask set I would begin by pointing out the following:

Each upper wing holds approx. 250 shapes.

Each lower wing  holds approx. 200 shapes

The fuse and tailplanes will hold approx. 300 shapes.

All tolled there will be approx. 1200 individual shapes the majority of which  will need to be removed and the surface painted , then replaced , some may get varied clear finish' as well. Reading that you can appreciate the clearly numbered shapes , this alone is a massive step forward in easing the work load.

The only relief is in that the first color can be applied prior to the mask , saving one of the removal,paint,replace process'. Also there is photo evidence of overlapping paint applications creating an outline, this means alignment isn't crucial.

The process is going to be very labour intensive , heavy concentration , but set up properly I think of it as more work to get the look I want for this model.

Gratuitous 'magpie' shot of the polished cast metal 4 bladers:

IMG_1180.jpg

I did go on and do the fuse mask shape:

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

All of this is output with pen on paper by my Ioline cutter , and tested for fit as shown, shows the tedium involved...

And shapes applied with another pen plot:

IMG_3001.jpg

This is the same shape layout joined together , so the same shapes as the upper wing layout.

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

First glance tells me some of the shapes need editing.

Any questions or observations are welcome.

Thank you .

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

I think you are wise to state your thoughts on making masks, etc. for fellow hobbyists, Steve, especially the part about the possibility of it becoming disheartening. I went through a similar experience when I briefly did some custom bases for figure painters. Some Hobbyists seem to feel that if it is a hobby for them, and a hobby for you, then you shouldn't charge them, or, a charge them a minimum. I've never understood this attitude.

The rest of the masks look great, as do the props. I think the four-bladed versions will add quite a bit of pop to the already powerful looking Gotha!

• Like 1

Thanks Michael. 

I wont comment any further lest my complete lack of faith in humanity is displayed.

I forged ahead and finished the polygonal layout. I made the tailplane and rudder shapes all one so the shapes will transition nicely.

Here is a pen plot of the set, part shapes are fine tuned and it looks like it may just work out:

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

There are a number of rectangles that can be adapted to fit most parts. 

That's that for a while as my new 80w laser engraver is in the doorway....

IMG_3003.jpg

• Like 2

Don't worry about it. 

I don't.

One or two or three issues with customers is just part of business.

I have no prob doing custom masks for peeps who have a singular subject , and know what they want.

As I said the rise of the cameos and silhouette machines killed off a lot of it.

These Gotha masks would be almost prohibitively expensive as well , that factor comes into play as time and material are used up. The purchaser would have to have vinyl application skills and be ready to go through the painting steps , I'm not sure if that would be within the realm of the average modeller.

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 6:21 PM, Michael Scarborough said:

Damn............

The mind boggles at the possibilities........

My mind is boggled they sent it wihout a manual , software or drivers!

Ahhh! The Asian business mind....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

lol

No worries , threatening a refund /dispute claim got their attention .

I have to print off the 120 page manual and downloaded the software from another supplier though.

The claimed 80 watt laser came as a 50 watt as well.

A good basis for a claim I would say , even without the malevolence...