A GOTHA

krow113

Having done three of them so far, none of which looks anywhere near as good as yours, Steve, I'd say you're both correct. It requires a good knowledge of mechanics, a lot of patience, and, IMHO, a high level of model building skill.  They are not for the novice. But, man, when done properly, the Taurus parts make a helluva gorgeous Mercedes engine!

Congratulations!

Soldier on, Dude

• Like 1

Thanks HAkan.

A thinned , very thinned , mix of glue , metallic acrylics , water , lacquer thinner was brushed into alla the nooks and crannies to begin the colorization:

IMG_3886.jpg

This will run glue into all of the smallest gaps etc:

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

I'll be doing the engine in some diff colors . Aluminum alloys were and still are , very light colored , NOT silver , after beadblasting the color is almost white.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Thanks Michael.

The same glue as used in the assy procedure.

Vallejo metallic set. Blue and silver mixed equally then black added to darken. Thin a lot w/Tamiya tinner , use laq's to break the tension , usually one drop in 20.

Obligatory intake manifold insulating wrap recreated with HGW's linen decal sheet cut into strips, 40" of strips! , and liberal decal setting solution , not quick , not easy and 2 day work period to complete to the point of paint :

IMG_3913.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with this stuff. If it's a decal, is there any texture to it? I still use Tamiya tape and paint it. Most of the texture disappears, which is more scale-accurate, but enough remains to give it a sense of texture.

Man, this is gonna be great!

• Like 1

Yes it does have texture Michael , thank you  , that's the reason I'm giving it a try .

HGW' s Fabric Texture , Base White , 532050 .

It also has visible dots from the printing , no biggie , a wash will take care of that just like it did with the leather decals . 

Some wash' and then a drybrush , proven techniques , will finish it nicely.

I also installed the water and air pumps:

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Man, I need more COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't tell my dad, the aviation historian and pilot of 40 years!!! Well, whatever the hell it is, it looks totally REAL! (Forget the coffee......I'm going to take a nap!)

• Like 1

...or maybe LESS coffee!

Engine plumbing work today:

IMG_3926.jpg

Dry fitting, no fittings yet. RB Motion fittings ready to go. These are recreating  the lines that come in the HGW Gotha  p/e set , they are far from singularly dimensional.

And looking very nice , just sitting in place , with the addition of a PCV valve of sorts :

IMG_3929.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Michael Scarborough said:

OK...you lost me somewhere along the line.....what set of PE did you get from RB Motion??

I don't think he makes p/e . 

I'm modifying his aluminum fittings as they are very well done and are as close to scale as possible.

The fittings are A/N style but with some work can represent the 'packing ' type of fitting used in the early days of engine systems fittings. They are also supplied drilled out to accept the lines.

I call it 'cross-over modelling' as it is automotive stuff to begin with.

RB Motion , good stuff , good guy , sponsers one of our trophys for IPMS Vancouver's Fall Show:

Here is my 1/8 Nitro-methane Harley Hillclimber and his sponsored trophy:

IMG_0964.jpg

The model is saturated with RBM stuff.

Thanks for your continued interest and commenting.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Thanks Michael.

I actually went back and added the HGW info......lol.

I also added a row of spark plugs , using the PVA allows a complete install and then an alignment with the edge of a business card:

IMG_3947.jpg

• Like 1

Aaaaa, you rat! I didn't think the HGW was there in the original post. Tryin' to drive me crazy, are ya!!  I really like your idea of using PVA to give you the open time to square things up. Man, I am learning a lot following this build!

• Like 1

Thanks Hakan & Michael.

The beading line has proven to be a viable method , so far , only one lead has fallen out during a session of manipulation.

Here are the parts on the engine for checking:

IMG_3960.jpg

Due to the springulatory nature of the line I'll leave these in place , like the mag lines in the tubes  , to 'train ' for a while.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Minor update.

The kit flywheel gets turned into a pully by saw cutting , filing , sanding , etc , you know , good old fashioned modelling. 

Here it is up against the dud engine:

IMG_3966.jpg

This will be for the generator.

• Like 1