A GOTHA

krow113

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks EXWAFU , Michael , kp & Snoz !!

Not any actual modelling update but some work on the deathhead. 

Specifically the masking procedure. I made a vector file of the mirrored image:

IMG-5313.jpg

I know it looks wide angle and more than a little 'Predator' lookin'. I added some teeth into the empty areas at the sides of the mouth and made sure both sides aren't exactly alike. Needs more work. Remember it  gets wrapped around the Gotha nose and narrows nicely when I fold it in half.

But in looking at it tryna figure out a paint procedure , I thought perhaps a decal may be a better way.

The grey and black shades can be printed on clear sheet , and a mask to spray the background color , with the decal placed on top of that , could work.

Todays computer graphics work will be in that direction.

As stated. I erased the image edges and cleaned up the background. Printed images are positive in their look and this is the right direction , a mask and decal combo:

IMG-5316.jpg

Cheesy cut n' paste encouraging:

IMG-5318.jpg

IMG-5320.jpg

Looks like it can get a little bigger too!

Preiliminary artwork stage reached. I can fine tune the images and think about the mask/decal combo procedure.

Progression:

IMG-5326.jpg

Lightening the image and working on contrast , seems there is detail loss , so back in to work on the shades a little more. 

Remember these shades will be printed on clear decal sheet and that will be laid onto a masked off painted shape that is first applied to the model.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Well, half of what you're saying is Greek to me. (mechanics and techno are not my  lingos.) But it looks spooky as hell and I think what you're doing will be killer. IMHO, the larger image make more of a statement. 

Keep going, this is very cool.

Cheers from .NYC,

Michael

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thank you.

And welcome back.

Over weekend IMPS event attendance always gets the desire flowing.

Under carriage fitment but not attachment:

IMG-6093.jpg

Wheel work begins:

IMG-6099.jpg

AM parts:

IMG-6100.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks  Kev and Ian.

Fiddly mudguards not so bad.

Get the undercarriage set up like this and not  too bad , even with broken and bent mounting rods:

IMG-6111.jpg

And the bomb cart gets cut. I don't mind buying  things from manufacturers but lose interest if the parts are not cast fully and just look bad: More work to fix it as opposed to having a better example to work with:

IMG-6110.jpg

Tryna do a little each day. I cant see anabundance of detail to add to the undercarriage. After primer I may add some hardware details.

Again , lack of detailed pics or drawings to the Gotha modellers chagrin.

Daunting as it may be , WNW's Gotha is best done as a series of kits , I approached it that way and things appear to be working out.

The mudguards are a tad tiny , fragile and a bit fiddly, however they fit perfectly. The epin marks are easily scraped away.

Starting with the rearmost post , thin glue was spotted on and left for a while ,the guards were in place but not perfect.

As the first application softened and joined the plastic , glue was introduced to the second mounting point.

Live attachment allowed some tiny adjustments and the guards were left in 2 point mounting position overnight.

The third mount was introduced this morning , glue the under carriage end first and , using tweezers , squeeze the mount together and rotate it into place. It will amaze you how perfect the parts line up and fit.

Super easy and very little stress . One strut was broken when the kit arrived , no biggie. My best advice is to get these parts off the sprue nd secured as I damaged them by handling the sprue. 

Daily done:

IMG-6117.jpg

IMG-6116.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Custom ALPS printed decals for loadout and Gothania logos for the tires. What is printed in black is actually done in white:

IMG-4183.jpg

Thanks to Joker with help there.

...and the 5 color hand painted polygonal night camouflage mask set gets re-visited:

IMG-2993.jpg

IMG-2994.jpg

IMG-2999.jpg

Thinking bout this for over a year , I have a procedure and mask sets , just reacquainting myself with the work.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Some actual modelling...

The bombs lose their tips:

IMG-6122.jpg

...and the entire flying surface partset gets de-sprued and cleaned up:

IMG-6124.jpg

A suggestion fo the wing parts; cut the sprue well away from the parts:

IMG-6123.jpg

Then cut off the leftover gates with a razor saw. There are straight edges on all the gates to align the saw blade..

After getting some part material loss this solved the problem. I will hafta fill some of the edges. 

There is also a good number of details that can be added at this point.

I did remove the moulded gas line from the top wing center section:

IMG-6127.jpg

Todays work is the layout of the stacking bumps on the wings. 

Laid out as per the RR build guidebook:

IMG-6130.jpg

HO railroad modelling supplies .040" rivets for this:

IMG-6137.jpg

As per a few reference  pics as well.

Switched to .050" at the last second...:

IMG-6140.jpg

IMG-6141.jpg

Stacking bumps get primer to blend:

IMG-6154.jpg

The front edges of the wings will be a little beat up as that's how they look to me in pics.

And I glued the rear stabilizers and the rudder, a little canted , not quite saucy but just a little:

IMG-6145.jpg

Done this way to facilitate the camo paint work. The control horns can be added later and wont be in the way of an already involved paint scheme.

I have a good number of parts ready for primer so I'll do a session tonight.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

Quickly though primer with light coats , into first colors.

Blacks and metallics for the landing gear and bombs:

IMG-6164.jpg

IMG-6165.jpg

White then adding colors to the cup , light green , olive drab , and then brown gives an ivory look to the wheel covers:

IMG-6160.jpg

Bomb tips in brass , everything under a seal coat of 50/50 IPA/Future.

This is a good start to the finish painting of these parts.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

F A N T A S T I C  W O R K!!!!!!! 

Put in the favorites.

The gothta is one of the ww1 planes that I prefer but the space available is little, in 1:32 then I can't afford it and in 1:48 it's hard to find or almost.

I will follow you with interest and healthy envy🤐

• Like 1

Thanks s2000.

I'm watching your G V - GIV conversion.

I have that Hippo kit as well, not really attached to it...

Herein work resumes with another sampler of parts into first color:

IMG-6189.jpg

And lets see what all the fusss is about:

IMG-6181.jpg

Quickly through chip fluid app ,  spray , demask , remask with liquid mask:

IMG-6182.jpg

OOoeer!

IMG-6184.jpg

IMG-6188.jpg

And  a DB color chart:

IMG-6193.jpg

The black sprayed nicely.

The colors are finely ground and my feeling was that they are designed to be mixed into the colors one wants.

Very nice.

Don't like the bottles.

Some were full to the top others lower. Most likely due to filling by weight (?)

Try as I did , I still managed to spill some while opening the bottle.

I'm looking forward to using them.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2