A GOTHA

krow113

I also missed the part about putting the grove into the flywheel to turn it into a pulley....that will lead to the generator. Again, I will not pretend I know mechanics and engines so, now only will what you're doing help me make my next Merc. engine build more accurate, it's also just plain nice to know what parts are which and what they do on the real engine. It adds to the enjoyment of the whole operation. Thanks for taking the time to make all this clear!

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Michael.

There are 4 breathers for the 2 sumps on the D IV. A 'sump' is just a void where oil is collected for filtration , distribution etc . The sumps are at the front and rear of the engine crank case. The brethers are the 4 capped off freestanding items just added to the sloped upper sides of the crank case. As oil enters the sump the air is displaced and needs to 'breath' or escape or the oil flow will cease with catastrophic engine failure will soon follow . Best if you go back and look at a previous post where there are just the locating holes drilled.

Taurus P/N D3234.

This book is essential for detailing the D IV it has everything you need to know and very good pics of the engine and drawings and descritions, I have it open in my lap as I do this work:

IMG_3459.jpg

And with no pics available to me of how Gotha's generated electrical power , I'll be using the WNW supplied generator from the German accy sprue . AEG's had a genny with a weird kinda belt , I found pics but lost them. So there will be some conjecture there , but there was a generator on the Gotha that is for sure , just no pics to prove. I'll mount it like the AEG one that is clearly shown in the museum example and the WNW kit . 

Edited by krow113

Thanks Hakan , and everyone else looking in.

I mentioned 'training' the HV leads.

Here you can see the result of a week or so of the mag leads being inserted into a tube:

IMG_4025.jpg

A bit better pic:

IMG_4028.jpg

This happened just by inserting the leads into the tube and leaving them alone , no other inducement was used.

The tube also helps as a holder for paint work.

May as well keep the training going on the plug end of things:

IMG_4031.jpg

This will help in the final assy , not having to fight the leads into place.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Thanks Doc!

Starting to look like something with the leads shortened and placed for training. I fitted the carb and manifold , glueing the carb only at the base. Just going slowly as I find my way through the smallest additions and the paint work:

IMG_4036.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Michael.

At this point t he two lower halves of the front and rear fairings will be on one and one engine will be fully cowled.

Here the petcock to drain the cylinder water jackets gets started:

IMG_4070.jpg

And the p/e ring at the front of the engine gets some more p/e to help with the detail:

IMG_4069.jpg

Adding all the time here and there will get it sorted soon enough.

• Like 1

Andwil , greggles thankls for looking in and commenting.

Not too much happening , I did a hot water return from the carb body:

IMG_4085.jpg

… and a clamp and petcock handle were added:

IMG_4092.jpg

I know , I know they can barely be seen but there is time to do it right.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Thank you greggles

To be correct its a magneto.

Here is another, they are tiny but well detailed , and the choice of HV lead material is proving to be proper. None of the leads have fallen out of the mags or the distribution tubes:

IMG_4098.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Silenoz.

And I'll leave you with this for a few months as I have some models I want to finish for the Fall Show.

Here is the engine in its final primary colors. Both mags have been dealt with and the intake manifold is just plugged in.

By no means finished:

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

And these are some custom printed decals of tire logos and stencils for the Gotha ,all worked up from various pics , printed in white on an ALPS printer.

The black shows what has been printed in white on the decals sheet:

IMG_4184.jpg

Gonna go dark here until the end of November.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...