A GOTHA

krow113

Thanks Hakan and Michael.

Fuel tank procedures as follows:

Paint brass x three colors.

Tape off moulded in straps. 

Coat with chipping medium.

Paint green -gray x 2 colors .

Apply water to activate medium and chip,scrape etc until satisfied. 

Remove debris created by chipping.

Use  fuel , oil , and grime fluids.

Heat gun after each application to speed the work up.

Sealed numerous times with 50/50 IPA / Future .

Drybrush with chrome silver.

Drybrush with brass and feather in brass areas on the tanks.

Final seal with flat clear.

Tanks to be 'embedded' when installed on the model.

Pretty much gonna be the same type of procedures for EVERY PART  on this model , that's the way to build a unique and colorful model.

Final iteration:

IMG_3701.jpg

Best advice is to use up the modelling products you buy and pay so much for ,gladly , put them to use! 

And have fun with it , I usually don't know how things will end up looking , I just go about it in a controlled random application of products and paint based on a familiarity with mechanical workings.

Make sense!?

Edited by krow113
  • Like 5

Makes total sense and many thanks for taking the time to spell it out! But, the fact is, you can give someone a recipe, but that still doesn't t make him or her Julia Child! The hand of an artist is clearly at work here!

Keep going, Dude!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 1

Still working on getting the Taurus engine set sorted. Having probs keeping the parts stuck together. The repeated applications of cyano got me po'ed so I took the assy apart and re-did it with the glue shown. Hopefully I can get it on straight and level now. The glue seems to be working better , and I can thin it down and wick it into the parts for strength:

IMG_3721.jpg

I'm starting to question the worth of the set as it is fraught with pitfalls. Today the attrition rate of rocker arm removal had me almost stuff the wjhole set. Some broke at the introduction of the razor saw blade, breaking as soon as they were touched!

I'll persevere until I run out of parts ,AGAIN ,  before throwing in the towel.

Who said that!

I waited and installed the camshaft assy , much better this time :

IMG_3728.jpg

The pva glue sucking into the parts rather than crusting up like some crusty bit of toast or something:

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Ill be wicking in thinned pva for the next little while. The parts are spaced evenly , and mounted correctly , we'll see if it stays that way.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

I think we should coin a term for working with Taurus parts...something like Taurius-itis. Like working with poison ivy...eventually, you buildup a resistance ...or die. I have yet to complete a build of an engine with Taurus parts, with all the parts in place. And, even if complete, handling the engine to install it caused pats to disappear into Resin Heaven. BUT, clearly it can be done and when done properly, they are amazing little gems of model building art. From the looks of it, you are way ahead of me, Steve! KEEP GOING!!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hakan and Michael - Thank you!

And carry on I did with the Taurus set. An attempt to introduce the valve springs and rocker arms revealed that your truly had placed the camshaft on backwards. This caused the mis-alignment of the rockers and the springs. I peeled off the camshaft , the glue holding alla the 'T's in place (some small joy) , of course the longer alignment 'T's were out of place , and not wanting to remove them , I drilled out the holes in the top of the cylinder heads to insert the longer posts into. This secured them and lined up things nicely.

My posts here and on the WW1 forum will help others to get through the set , having alla the pitfalls , fallen into and pointed out helps! lol.

This pic shows the misalignment if you place the camshaft backwards , note the two springs and the T post behind them:

IMG_3749.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks SSAM

Peeling off the camshaft assy proved to be uneventful , alla the 'T's stayed on and all in one piece !

I take that as as sign of the job turning around for the better.

The heads were drilled accordingly to accept the longer alignment 'T's  and the camshaft was offered up again , this time to much better effect. I used a folded strip of paper to check the centering of the rocker arm space to the ports:

IMG_3760.jpg

And with everything in much better alignment aa 50/50 mix of water/Weldbond PVA was wicked into the space at the bottom of the 'T's , you can see it here:

IMG_3762.jpg

This will capillary in as it drys and really secure the parts. 

So that takes care of part one - The Camshaft assy.

Part two - The Springs is next.

Thanks for looking , the view count is what inspires me to keep posting.

• Like 1

Great work, as always, Steve! I can easily understand putting the camshaft on backwards! My experience has been that the Taurus parts are amazing, but that the Taurus instructions leave much to be desired. Great that you were able to solve the problem. Thanks for the tip on using the PVA/H2O trick. I'd never thought of that.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks Hakan & Michael.

Springs were matched for length , one lost means one to be made. Strips of business card were used to space and align the springs in a row:

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

The glue was used full strength and allowed some teasing of the springs into alignment.

I really don't know if I'm happy with this , here is the final shot today:

IMG_3776.jpg

POed at losing the spring I used a sheet of transfer tape to lift anything that would adhere  , off the floor and found the spring.

And re-visiting the alignment issue , 2 strips of business card were used to good effect , the outside strip 's front edge was used to line up on  the template's 15 degree angle line:

IMG_3782.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

Way better , visiual alignment is now possible as well as the cards holding the springs in line while the glue sets.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

First off....that you only lost ONE spring is amazing. My hearty congratulations!!! Secondly, the idea of using transfer tape to pick up what's on the floor to FIND the lost spring is ingenious....I might try it, only, I fear what else I might find....(long lost parts, ex-wife, used condoms....)

Lastly, Steve-san, this is proving to be a great tutorial for building engines using Taurus parts. As I said before, your knowledge of mechanical things is really showing and proving to be of great help to those of us less mechanically inclined. It's a great example of the GOOD side of forums...guys from different walks of life bringing their knowledge form those fields into the shared world of model building.

Keep it coming, Mr. Harley!

• Like 1

Thanks Michael!

I'm happy with it now. The strips of business card were the biz , the straight edge worked perfect:

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

The work on alignment is crucial for the 'look' of the rocker gear.

Part 3 The Rockers is next.

• Like 3

Thank you , Hakan.

Todays work was concerned with engine detailing. The list of additions went through 30  + quickly , so some work was in order.

Drilling to pin the additional lines for the hot water feed and return to the carb , as well as the HV wire tube ends was realized by a quick tiny pin point mark and drilling from .2 mm - . 5 mm , finishing with a quick twist of a .9 mm drill:

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

And working steadily 5 holes in the top tube , 6 in the bottom and the ends drilled out , scraped and smoothed took just over an hour. 

Nice to use the kit parts:

IMG_3802.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

And one rocker arm dropped in to check spring spacing and visual cues. I 'm real happy with this , it all looks straight and even just like engine parts should look:

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

Intake spring set done in 40 minutes:

IMG_3843.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Finally the Taurus parts are all on the engine:

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

In no way shape or form can this , by any stretch of the imagination be considered , under any circumstances ,a set for novice modellers.

Experts only will have any chance of getting it done. My knowledge of engines gave me an advantage and it could be argued that engine knowledge is required for the set.

Hopefully some of you can get some help from my "expert" fumblings.

• Like 2

Very nice work! :)

Being an auto mechanic helps understanding how things should look. I guess it requires a fair amount of patience too. :)

Håkan

• Like 1