A GOTHA

krow113

Man, oh, man....I am sitting here chuckling into my morning coffee and saying to myself, "ya, see...this is how you SHOULD have done yours, Big Mike!". But, Steve-san, I have neither your mechanical knowledge or experience using all the techno gizmos. This is fantastic. And, when I get to my Gotha or another AEG, I will sure have a helluva lot better idea of how to proceed. Thank You!!!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 2

RRunner , Michael , Thank you.

A smallish update.

I've never liked the holes around the exterior of the gun ring on the model. I think they were countersunk screws , but without evidence ...

Anyway , on page 47 of Gotha! there is a pic in the lower left showing some re-enforcement of the gun ring to support the Becker cannon.

Using hi-po vinyl and testing the limits of my cutter , I cut and applied these details:

IMG_3517.jpg

I am waiting on an order from Taurus, extra valve train components and some other details...

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Thanks Michael.

I need someone to look at their Gotha kit and measure the small square molded into the bottom of the left fuse half , right in front of the wing leading edge.

I sanded mine off making the fuse join.

If some one could do that that would help me.

Thank you.

OK...I'm coming up with 5/8" (minus 1/64") wide by 7/16" exactly fore and aft. The right edge is exactly on the center line and the aft edge is exactly on the leading edge orifice. I can photo it for you if you'd like.....email works best for me.

HTH,

Michael

• Like 1

Cut and applied as per supplied dimensions:

IMG_3524.jpg

15.4 mm w x 11.2 mm l and .5mm from the wing leading edge and directly on the fuse seam.

Thank you.

Edited by krow113

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Michael Scarborough said:

Any idea what that is, Steve?

Some kind of access panel. or it could be a repair panel , I'm not sure . But if WNW put it there , they have their info and reasons!

Prolly a few reference pics as most of the ref pics are of up-ended Gotha's !

In Gotha! on page 49 there is a photo that appears to show the panel removed.

Edited by krow113

Excellent work! Very nice detail, and the wood looks crazy good! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

Thanks Hakan.

Losing parts means more work.

In this case I chose to fill the bomb hanger mounting void:

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

The 2 pics on page 47 in Gotha! bear out the fact that not all Gothas had these.

And the wing fitting is completed:

IMG_3559.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Taurus customer service is excellent. I ordered more detail sets and asked for some replacement parts for the camshaft set.

IMG_3578.jpg

No problem for Taurus , recommended.

...so into cutting the tiny parts:

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Steve, you are a genius and now officially MY HERO! Your set up for cutting these parts from the tree, and having them NOT launch into orbit is ingenious. Why didn't I think of that?? Blessings on you!!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

Thanks Michael.

If you check page 3 of the WW 1 forum thread - The Gotha , I am working my way through the set.

Today was a good day .

To paint.

Or in the case of The Gotha , some long waited primer on the wing and engine sections:

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

White undersides and flat black tops and metal areas.

Some sorely needed exterior colors, the plywood undercolor begins:

IMG_3645.jpg

Metal applications:

IMG_3646.jpg

...and red and clear to seal:

IMG_3649.jpg

Plywood decals applied , ya gotta love these , they look good and add depth. It will be a pity to paint over most of it and simulate traffic in the area:

IMG_3654.jpg

Still a number of treatments to go.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Getting the work done on the lower wing center section. Gloss black application , distressed ,  Smoke application , distressed , and sealed with 50/50 IPA/Future :

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Hakan , Silenoz , and of course , Michael Thanks muchly , the view count and comments are inspirational.

Continuation of the lower mid wing work continues with the application of the mask previously made for the ongoing mask set development:

IMG_3675.jpg

A quick white and then a splash of stainless:

IMG_3680.jpg

Low tack application tape for vinyl signwork is used on the decal portions , and with no issues the work is complete within 1/2 an hour:

IMG_3685.jpg

This lower mid wing part has been stalling the work as I tried to figure out the procedure for alla these paint and decal applications. The big test here was whether the application tape would pull up the decal , no worries there everything worked out positively , of course masking was removed expeditiously as it always should be. There are a number of treatments to go here and this is just the top surface!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Thanks CFF.

Gonna be a lot of sub assy's painted before the BIG SHOW .

Speakin' of , here are the gas (petrol) tanks ran through a few procedures and into about 75% finished:

IMG_3697.jpg

• Like 5