20 hours ago, evansdad said:

I'm a big fan of your work Andy. You're a real inspiration. I've always liked the TIE's, so I'm thrilled to see you're doing one. Have you done any other TIE's on this forum?

Thanks,

I haven't got any other TIE builds on here. The two others in the photo are the old Finemolds releases, and are the only other TIEs I've done so far. Both were finished before I joined Britmodeller, but there are a few more photos of the Interceptor here.

Andy

I've finally got around to getting some paint on the Striker. I've gone with a base colour mixed from Tamiya Ocean Grey and Gunze Off White, which has given a subtle bluish tone, while still being fairly neutral. I added a few drops of Tamiya X-22 Clear into the mix to leave a smoother finish

32821549282_aecf0d33d0_b.jpg

Once it was all covered, I mixed a bit more Ocean Grey in to the remaining paint and sprayed some post shading over the panels lines

32594946260_3e93164961_b.jpg

Incidentally, The green stuff is a silicone putty I've just acquired. It's essentially the same as silly putty, but easier to get hold of in the UK, and you can get it in different grades. The one I've got is a medium consistency, but it's a bit harder than I'd like, so I'll probably order one of the softer grades. It's pretty cheap, and you can get it in various pack sizes

32594941530_0c91a9ff0c_b.jpg

Okay, back to the painting. I mixed a very light grey from Gunze H308 Grey and White, and sprayed it over the centre of the panels as a highlight

32594935920_ecc39d457f_b.jpg

The next step was to break up the finish more, and I did that with a Vallejo Blue Grey wash applied by sponge, randomly over the surface

32594930700_552ae4073b_b.jpg

32976076475_2720419c80_b.jpg

The last step I've done for now was to mask off a couple of panels and spray them with a darker grey mixed from Gunze 308 Grey and Tamiya Medium Blue. I then added some NATO Black into the same mix and sprayed some further panel shading, and a few streaks here and there

32594909540_3db96ca8fe_b.jpg

32935046116_f2434a5efb_b.jpg

All the above steps were done on the wings as well. I'll do the detail painting next, then add the few decals that go on the fuselage.

Andy

• Like 22

Nice job ! A couple of different shaded panels always looks good, and the sponged on technique is something I will also steal ;-)

Nice tip on the "Therapy" Putty too ! I guess the harder grade is for when you're extra stressed !

Might need to get some of that for the next time I bugger up one of my paint jobs :-)

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

This is looking great.

I'm just about to start a regular TIE so I'm reading closely and pinching tips like mad, I really like that sponged on wash. 

The blue/grey colour you mixed looks very nice, and very true to the films - I took the other approach and ordered about 5 model air colours that look like they *might* be right...

• Like 1

Watching , learning and admiring.  I really love that Vallejo Blue-grey wash technique.  

And THANK YOU Andy for your tip re Gunze Levelling thinner with Mig Ammo paints (yet to try with Vallejo). OMG what a revelation:yahoo:.

The build is inspiring.

Rob

• Like 1

Definitely looking alive now it's got some colour on it Andy and thanks for the steer on the Therapy Putty.

Nice job ! A couple of different shaded panels always looks good, and the sponged on technique is something I will also steal ;-)

Nice tip on the "Therapy" Putty too ! I guess the harder grade is for when you're extra stressed !

Might need to get some of that for the next time I bugger up one of my paint jobs :-)

I think you'll need to get the blue one for that level of stress.

OT: I have a large smooth pebble on my desk at work which I use as a paperweight, once upon a time on of my colleagues picked it up and said; "oh, it's real I always thought it was one of those squeezable stress toys." 

"It is," I replied, "we just save it for when things get very stressful !"  :)

• Like 3

On 19/02/2017 at 11:04, robgizlu said:

And THANK YOU Andy for your tip re Gunze Levelling thinner with Mig Ammo paints (yet to try with Vallejo). OMG what a revelation:yahoo:.

Thanks Rob. Yes. levelling thinner works great with AMMO paints and primers. I'd be cautious about using it with Vallejo though. It will thin it, if you add a lot of thinner to the paint, but it can be hard to clean up from the AB. I usually use plain tap water with Vallejo, with a little flow aid added if I'm spraying a large quantity.

Okay, the last bits of detail painting and weathering have been done on the Striker. The cockpit glazing frame was sprayed in Vallejo Black Grey, followed by a very light dry brush with a lighter grey. Some of the smaller details were picked out in different grey shades too. I gave all the detail areas a pin wash with AK neutral wash (dark grey), then I blended some AMMO engine grime around some of the raised details, to give it it bit more shading

33014797186_15e8821156_b.jpg

33014793626_2bb468064e_b.jpg

32900628832_fe84a0930a_b.jpg

The same weathering was applied to the wings. I painted the engine grime wash between some of the layers of the solar panel frames to help define them a bit more

32900641442_3c8cc1e729_b.jpg

I've also added some paint chipping on the wings and fuselage. I didn't want anything too strong, so I just went with a light grey, which stands out just enough over the weathering

33056628485_ee572cfa14_b.jpg

That finished the weathering off, so I could pull the masking off the glazing, clip the wings in place, and that's one finished Cylon Raider TIE Striker (it does look like one of the reboot raiders though)

32211078334_5dbdca8935_b.jpg

The last thing to sort out was the base. I'd bought a 4" wooden circle and I was intending to fit a 3mm clear acrylic rod to it to support the TIE

32674535900_60d8e91fb6_b.jpg

It came with the hole already drilled, which was larger than 3mm, so I had to add some plastic tube spacers to hold the rod. The base was stained black, then had an Imperial logo sticker applied

32900624172_f048cc98f4_b.jpg

Only problem is the hole for the stand on the base of the TIE is right at the back and, with the long wings, it's very front heavy, so this was the result...

32674522260_16af8b24a9_b.jpg

I had to substitute an aluminium tube in place of the acrylic rod, which was strong enough to hold the TIE level

33056600985_73d2382ef0_b.jpg

So, with that last mini drama cleared up, I'm going to call this one done. I'll get some shots up in RFI later. Thanks to everyone for following along.

Andy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Fab work Andy - superb weathering as usual.  Sorry to be contrary but I actually think the bent transparent rod works better ?  It's more dynamic.

Hear you about Vallejo (though I'll still give it a go;))

I've loved watching this build

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Syntax
  • Like 1

Ha yeah, with acrylic rod looks like it's going into a dive bombing run !

Thanks for the tips once again Andy. Awesome. Those panel differences and weathering details are really what sets it apart. Looking forward to the RFI pics !

And yes, now you say it there is a bit of Battlestar Cylon influence there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Fab work Andy - superb weathering as usual.  Sorry to be contrary but I actually think the bent transparent rod works better ?  It's more dynamic.

Cheers Rob

Yes, I agree, it is a bit more dynamic, although I'd prefer it if the nose was pointing up. I might put a slight bend in the aluminium tube to give it a better pose. The acrylic rod was also a little fragile, and I think the weight of the wings might have fractured it over time, plus it tended to wobble about wildly every time I moved it.

Andy

Really superb Andy. Love what you've done to subtly weather it and make it look 'used' and 'in service'  rather than 'knackered'. Terrific stuff.

Quick question from a beginner, when you say "Some of the smaller details were picked out in different grey shades too." - can I ask, did you mask them off and spray these detail parts whilst they were on the model, or something else? Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrotherMole said:

Quick question from a beginner, when you say "Some of the smaller details were picked out in different grey shades too." - can I ask, did you mask them off and spray these detail parts whilst they were on the model, or something else? Thanks.

It was mainly just bits of surface detail, and I just hand painted them, mainly with warmer grey tones to add a little contrast to the base blue tone.

The only additional masking was for the canopy frame and the darker panels on the fuselage sides

Andy

29 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

and I just hand painted them...

Seriously? Of course you did easy as...

It's so precise it looks sprayed - how do you not get that warmer grey paint on the main hull as you paint in the detail bits? Mad skills Andy - thanks for sharing your skills and knowledge - its really helpful.

• Like 1