Italeri Stirling Mk.I questions

Mark Joyce

Greetings all,

This is my first ‘official’ post, so my apologies in advance if I’ve picked the wrong specific forum for this one.

I recently obtained Italeri’s Stirling Mk.I and was hoping to have a few questions answered before diving into the kit.  I did search the forums and believe I have most answered, but was hoping to confirm and clarify some things.  First, I must give a shout out especially to Simon, Woody37, and General Melchett for their outstanding builds and excellent build threads, which I have and will continue to use for reference.  I am truly impressed by their builds, which put my skills to shame!

Regarding the kit, I am certainly aware of the trench-like panel lines and oversized rivets, and probably won’t address those beyond what a good layer (or layers) of primer will cover. Also, mainly due to the time limitations and the fact that mostly only the cockpit is visible, I plan on building the interior simply OOB. In addition, I will either use the kit decals for MacRobert’s Reply or Print Scale’s decals for BU-A of 214 Sqn (I searched for the Xtradecals decals for BU-A with no success).  With that in mind, here are the details I was hoping to clarify regardless of which aircraft that I will model (although I have yet to decide which ones I might deal with):

1. The openings for the oil coolers under the nacelles need to be filled;

2. The front window on the port side of the fuselage should not be opened;

3. There should be an oval skylight on top of the fuselage between the spars;

4. The elevator and aileron fabric detail is much too pronounced and should be sanded down or removed completely

5. The upper fuselage profile is slightly too square;

6. The fairing for the FN7A dorsal turret is slightly misshapen;

7. Humbrol 75 is an adequate color for the forward interior color

I think that’s it for now, but if there is something else of note that should be brought to my attention, please let me know.  Also, whereas I have photographs of MacRobert’s Reply, I have been unable to locate any of BU-A in the many sources and books I have on the Stirling.  If anyone knows of any out there, I would appreciate learning about those.

TIA for any assistance!

Mark

• Like 2

I have this kit too and having just got some Eduard Zoom etch ad mask, I was having a look at the kit the other night. I'm no Stirling expert at all but if point 2 is correct, I'd love to know (and if any other windows don't need opened up) as it will save some effort! I'm sure I could do point 4 as well!

thanks

Mike

Hi Mark

Found you on here :)

Don't use Humbrol 75; I think you probably meant 78. When I built my Mk IV I used Humbrol 120 as it more closely matched some paint remnants we had on some original cockpit structure. My choice though.....

Not sure about the Mk I kit but I seem to recall that the instructions tell you to install an R1155 radio on the Navigators bulkhead to the rear of the cockpit, don't fit it as this was only installed on a limited number of aircraft and certainly not a Mk I.

Recently a colleague and I have discovered that there is also a small square window in the rear lower escape hatch on a Mk I

Any other questions you have, please feel free to email me and I'll do my best to answer them.

regards

John

5 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Recently a colleague and I have discovered that there is also a small square window in the rear lower escape hatch on a Mk I

regards

John

Can you elaborate a bit on this window? Which escape hatch and do you know what the dimensions are of this window?

8 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Don't use Humbrol 75; I think you probably meant 78. When I built my Mk IV I used Humbrol 120 as it more closely matched some paint remnants we had on some original cockpit structure. My choice though.....

Thanks, John.  Yes I did mean 78 but inadvertently typed 75.  At least 78 is what I have been using for my Blenheim interior!

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would be very wary of Print Scale decals if you have not used them before. They are very thin and have a nasty habit of curling up. They also have a tendency to be over scale. I bought one set - never again.

I have not used Print Scale decals, but now that you mention it I vaguely recall reading somewhere about how easily they curl up.  Thanks for the reminder!

6 hours ago, elger said:

Can you elaborate a bit on this window? Which escape hatch and do you know what the dimensions are of this window?

Still a work in progress on that one I'm afraid, it's only something we noticed quite recently.

James Harris is the chap who first noticed it and has incorporated it into an CAD animation of the interior as seen here https://75nzsquadronremembered.wordpress.com/tag/short-stirling-animation/

After some digging, there's a good view of the underside showing the 'window' at page 18 of the following: http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44&start=170

I've found an extract from the Air Publication that shows the escape hatch positions (with the rear window) but can't upload it here. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you

cheers

John

• Like 1

This is the hatch! Thanks for confirming it John!

hatch_zpsnmirl5mc.png

Believed to be from W7442 of 1651 CU lost 25/26 June 1942 during the third and last 1000 bomber raid. Claimed by Lothar Linke (as a Wellington).

• Like 1

Thanks Elger

Is it in a collection on public display as I know someone who would be very interested in having a close look at that hatch? That pretty much confirms that the lower escape hatch has a clear viewing panel (reason unknown) at least on Mk I Stirlings.

cheers

John

Mark,

please do post your progress, it will be great inspiration to do another build. If you can get one of those tippex pens, it's a fast way of toning the panel lines down.

John, those 3D drawings are incredible :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

Mark,

please do post your progress, it will be great inspiration to do another build. If you can get one of those tippex pens, it's a fast way of toning the panel lines down.

John, those 3D drawings are incredible :)

I build rather slowly and am not the best at getting around to pictures, but will see what I can do   (Or, to put it another way, my work  will never look even remotely as nice as yours so it's a little embarrassing 🙂)!

I'll look into those pens. Thanks for the tip and, again, outstanding build you did!

• Like 1

Woody's a good friend of the Stirling Project and between us we should be able to answer any questions you might have :o)

Always good to see a Stirling build so bring it on even if it's glacial in its progress LOL

John 

On 2/10/2017 at 2:50 PM, 12jaguar said:

Always good to see a Stirling build so bring it on even if it's glacial in its progress LOL

John 

It might be even more glacial than my typical build, which proceeds about as fast as molasses flows in January in the Artic. That Italeri photoetch is horrendously thick. I actually broke one of the seatbelts in half trying to get it to bend around the seat contours--a first even for me. I just ordered Eduard's interior set so have to wait for it to arrive.  I guess I can work on opening those fuselage windows in the meantime....

• 2 weeks later...

While working on the interior of my Stirling, a combination of events provided a respite with the painting and gluing. As a result I decided now was as good a time as any to open up the remaining windows in the fuselage.  My plan was to match the correct clear part to its corresponding opening, in the hopes that I can provide the Goldilocks size: not too small and not too large, but just right.

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that the Italeri instructions pretty much list all windows as "13E," whereas the clear sprue has myriad part numbers for the windows.

That being said, can someone who has built the Mk.I tell me the proper numbers for the windows, at least for those not designated in the instructions?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Bit of a rant, sorry.

This thread sparked some really interesting correspondence between my dad, the lovely people from the Stirling Project and myself about the hatch, posted above. Inspired by this, I got out the Italeri kit from my stash because I'm really tempted to build W7442 (the aircraft that the hatch belonged to). I have the necessary decals, aftermarket... essentially ready to go. I also have the old Airfix Stirling and in most ways the Italeri kit is clearly light years ahead of that. But then I see that awful Italeri surface detail, and I just have to wonder... why?

If I build the Stirling, I've thought of reducing the surface detail especially of the wings by filing the panel lines with stretched sprue, which will allow me to rescribe the lines. Lots of sanding and use of filler will follow. I would also fill all the rivets (including the ones on the fuselage) and re-riveting the kit. But why do I even have to consider this in 2017? The surface detail of the Airfix Lancaster is also pretty heavy but still not as bad as Italeri.

Was it the marketing department? Manufacturers need to have a clear identity to stand out. The competitors do this really well, they all have a clear identity: Revell: value for money. Tamiya: the best fit. Eduard: complex but amazing detail. Airfix: first relying heavy on the old British nostalgia, now churning out accurate, detailed kits. The red boxes are instantly recognizable. Their box art is powerful: they tell stories. One subject features in the art of the other (i.e. the Dornier 17 shows Hurricanes; the Hurricane box shows Dorniers in the background. Notice the B-17s in the background of the new 262 box - same as the new B-17, and how the new B-17 artwork itself refers to the original 'a bit o lace' art - again the nostalgia). The artwork of the new Airfix kits forms a coherent narrative which triggers with us, the audience, preexisting memories, creating an emotional bond with the brand and the subject.

Deviating a little but my point is that I imagine that a few years ago Italeri's marketing deparment told the management that they needed some sort of unique feature that would make their kits stand out. Their suggestion: let's make the surface detail of our kits terrible. Instantly recognizable. Fantastic!

Sorry, rant over. I wish there was a better kit available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2017 at 10:56 AM, 12jaguar said:

I used the Eduard interior set; so much better :)

I've got a White Ensign set which I'm going to use on my Airfix Mk III when I get around to it

John

Another Stirling question, if I may, this time about the Eduard set. What do you make of the Eduard replacement seats? They look very skeletal - are they better than the kit ones? Any other thoughts on the Eduard set?

1 hour ago, elger said:

Another Stirling question, if I may, this time about the Eduard set. What do you make of the Eduard replacement seats? They look very skeletal - are they better than the kit ones? Any other thoughts on the Eduard set?

I was very pleased with the Eduard seats as I think they pretty much capture the structure, the only thing you need to add is a back cushion. Not all aircraft had seat armrests as they were seen to get in the way for emergency egress from the cockpit

John

4 hours ago, elger said:

I agree with John; they definitely capture the look of the seats more realistically than the kit ones. That being said, I found them so difficult to work with in trying to bend them correctly then glue them once together that I gave up and reverted back to the kit's.

I've pretty much only used the Eduard seat belts and instrument panel with its associated pieces on my build.