If I can make mine half as well as this when I get round to it, I'll be pleased.  This is just fantastic work: no, that's an understatement - I can't think of an adequate superlative here. 

Be warned - I will be copying a lot of the detailing you've done, although infinitely less well!  I'm not in a rush for this one and I think I might wait for the inevitable MiniArt T-55 or even Tiran 5 rather than kitbash the Tamiya one.  They've announced a Tiran 4 from their T-54, so I live in hope.  Many of those parts will be common to a T5.

My 3D printed jerrycan racks from Shapeways arrived,  but I'm not sure they're any better than the IM kit parts.  Still really too thick, need a lot of cleanup and some are printed crooked.  Etch it is, then.

I had a late thought about the front wheel hubs, having looked at the large-hub wheels that have somehow found their way onto Bovington's T-62 (which never used them - that's why the wheel spacing was moved forward).  The outer cover was just a pressed domed flanged plate bolted on to the hub, as with the normal wheels.  All the hub cover plates overhang the cast wheel centres, which is something kit makers with solid moulded hubs can't capture - I'm not sure if those with separate hubs like Takom actually overhang.

So you might well get away with removing the existing hub detail and replacing it with a larger plate with new dome and bolts.  There would be an overhang anyway.

Many thanks DasAb. I appreciate the encouraging words. I too, will be looking out for a Tiran 4 and eventually a Tiran 6 although that will have to be a conversion, but not for a while. this build has taken up far more time than usual.

I agree with what you say about the 3D jerry can holders. It's much the same with the periscope brush guards. I recommend the Eduard ones over the Voyager as they make up easier.

John.

• 2 months later...

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the comment. No, I haven't finished it yet. It's a shelf queen at the moment, but I hope to get back to it soon as I want it finished before I start on my build for the M4 GB at the end of the month. I've sprayed a primer coat on it and once I've finished my other shell queen (M4A3 Champagne), I'll get down to business.

John.

• Like 1

Sort of missed this one John but now that I've gotten into Israeli AFVs I can't miss any of the Israeli stuff, I need all the tips I can steal.

This is pretty impressive, photo etch crazy, my eyes would be bloodshot for sure.  Looks real good and as others have said that barrel and the machine gun are superb.

What color, no dumb question, of course it will be Sinai Grey and dusty and beautiful.  I really like these Israeli mono colored paint jobs but they are as hard or harder to do

than the 3 color German schemes for some reason.

Looking forward to some color so keep at it.  Oh yes I know about the cow and musket, after all I just knocked a mostly built model off the table onto the cement floor, dumb!!!

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

I'm looking forward to the reveal, got a real soft spot for IDF I'm looking to add a Tiran to my stash there's a few out there now.    

Yep! me too. I picked up Takom's Tiran 4 at Telford and when I get the chance, I'll try and get hold of a T-62 and the appropriate conversion for the Tiran 6, or even the Trumpeter kit. 

John.

16 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Sort of missed this one John but now that I've gotten into Israeli AFVs I can't miss any of the Israeli stuff, I need all the tips I can steal.

This is pretty impressive, photo etch crazy, my eyes would be bloodshot for sure.  Looks real good and as others have said that barrel and the machine gun are superb.

What color, no dumb question, of course it will be Sinai Grey and dusty and beautiful.  I really like these Israeli mono colored paint jobs but they are as hard or harder to do

than the 3 color German schemes for some reason.

Looking forward to some color so keep at it.  Oh yes I know about the cow and musket, after all I just knocked a mostly built model off the table onto the cement floor, dumb!!!

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks a lot for the comments. Yes, the PE was a strain on my patience, but I'm glad that I saw it through. Changing the barrels certainly does improve the look. The colour will be Israeli Sand Grey. I got the Tamiya mix for it from the IDF Modelling Site way back in 2007. It's as follows; 33% XF57 Buff, 33% XF59 Desert Yellow and 33% XF20 Medium Grey. My other wip, Champagne is almost complete. Just got to sort out the cock ups I made and then it's back to the Tiran.

John.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:38, Mark Hoffmanly said:

Beautiful work with PE, its amazing how little pieces of brass can make or break a model.

Mark

Thanks Mark. There were times when those little pieces of brass nearly broke me!

John.

With PE there always is... Like when you bend a piece in the wrong direction and you know if you try to correct your mistake the PE will snap in half, its happened to me more times than I care to remember. But I wish you the best of luck with PE

• Like 1

Hi John. Managed to miss this for a while but just been catching up. It was looking excellent when last seen (hint). Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

14 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Managed to miss this for a while but just been catching up. It was looking excellent when last seen (hint). Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Many thanks. I'll be posting something soon as I've given it one coat of IDF Sand Grey. I'm in the process of finishing off Champagne at the moment, but it's nearly there.

John.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well, it's been several months since I did anything on this one, and I've skipped through a couple of stages (that's my way of saying that I forgot to take photos). Anyway, a coat of Halfords grey followed by a coat of Tamiya XF for the base coat. Before I moved onto the gloss varnish and decal stage, I did some detail painting of various bits and pieces using Valejo acrylics.

I tried something new for the gloss coat, namely Daler and Rowney's Artist's Acrylic varnish. I thinned it with isoproponol and sprayed it through my Iwata HP airbrush, but I wasn't happy with the results. Applied with a brush to specific places and the results were great, but for airbrushing, I will go back to using Johnson's Kleer or Tamiya's Clear.

There is only one set of markings in the kit, so basically, it's Hobson's Choice. I've always been a little wary of Tamiya's decals as in the past they have been a bit on the thick side and don't always react to the setting solvents that I use, but by and large, they went on fairly well. The only ones that I had a minor problem with was the stripes along the gun barrel and getting them to conform over the fume extractor, but I was reasonably happy with the end result. If I was to do it again though, I'd probably go for white stripes from Super Scale.

So now it's a case of sealing the decals with some Kleer and onto a bit of weathering. Hopefully, the next update won't take six months.

95bce7a6-8479-47c7-ae5a-919eaabba01c.JPG

7b1d83cd-c5da-40ed-893a-c8574a6f4219.JPG

b01688d7-09f1-4e57-aa2a-1ba108f19968.JPG

684718a4-cd19-48da-b8c9-9097bf59ae54.JPG

It took a while, but it's moving again. Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 7

Thanks Sgt. Yes, IDF has featured a lot recently in my builds. A lot of the stuff fascinates me, but I'll be giving it a rest for a while and get back to some WW2 builds, although I still have two Tiran 4's to build.

John.

13 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Glad i'm not the only one who gets side tracked John, got a few to finish myself anyway very nicely done :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard. Yes, I've got to try and be a bit more focused, as getting sidetracked is what's causing the shelf queens.

John. 

Edited by Bullbasket