1/48 - Fairey Delta 2 (FD-2) by AZ model - release in 2021 ?

Homebee

I think it would require a totally new kit to create the BAC 221 - aside from the fuselage proper and fin, there's precious little that's common with the original FD2.  I do wonder whether they'll include some of the mods incorporated during the life of the FD2.  IIRC the canopy changed at least once.  Hopefully, they'll also provide markings for different phases in the life of the 2 airframes, obviously including the air speed record winner.

Fantastic news, definitely get one of these.  Always fancied modelling this in its mauve phase, http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/154209.JPG

Historically speaking, it's a shame that it was WG774, the record breaker, that was converted to the BAC221.

To model the 221 you would need a new kit or be a suberb scratch builder, the differences are numerous.  The basic fuselage structure was used, all be it modified and stretched.

It this one sells well, hopefully AZmodel will do one?!

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Have to say this is one of the most exciting new kit announcement I've read this year !

1/48 is not my preferred scale but I'll happily move up from my favourite 1/72 for this one

I prefer 1/48th for some subjects but prefer 1/72 for test aircraft as there is a lot more types available in the smaller scale, though I also am tempeted by this. Be interesting to see if they plan anymore test aircraft in 1/48th scale.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I prefer 1/48th for some subjects but prefer 1/72 for test aircraft as there is a lot more types available in the smaller scale, though I also am tempeted by this. Be interesting to see if they plan anymore test aircraft in 1/48th scale.

Same here - but there is room for exceptions :-D

• Like 1

Delayed. Now expected in early 2018.

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&page=26&tab=comments#comment-2792421

(...) What we know today is that we can not reach Telford with Fairey FD-2 1/48 and this will be released early in 2018. (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...
On 19.10.2017 at 00:36, JamesP said:

It does seem an odd choice of scale as pretty much all other British experimental aircraft kits are in 1:72, and though the Frog still shapes up well it's not exactly easy to come by. 

Both true. I happend to find a second Marquette boxing for 5 euros by pure luck. Still shrink wrapped. The other I bought for four times as much without box!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, Jan Polc said:

Hi Paul, unfortunately I do not have any info on FD. 2. The last info was to make it for Telford this year, but it looks more probable, that Cessna family is planned for the show instead of FD. I will ask and come back to you with more proper info.

The above was back in May.

• 1 year later...

There has been no sign of this moving forward as a real project since its original burst of publicity some years ago. 

I'm focusing instead on the Dora Wings 1/72 one, for which there is substantial evidence of work actually being done this year.

https://dorawings.com/in-progress/120-fairey-delta-fd2.html

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 2