Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Looking good Ced. That last photograph shows that it has quite a wingspan compared with some late two engine prop

bombers.

The sprue soup is a good solution to the wing join issue; it should provide a stronger join than just filler, good choice :thumbsup2: .

It's good to see you're feeling better after the little ordeal :).

Once the nacelles are on, I see yellow paint in this Russian/Czech/German wingy things near future!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - nice and steady it is... mostly.

Thanks TT - once the nacelles are on... I managed to find some other work to do, sanding the wing joins:

32862831952_d530b1f980_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

using the electric eraser you recommended (thanks again!) and then a riffler file and then a finger sander.

32863334992_7d0ba0903a_z.jpg

Happy now that the remaining bits can be smoothed out during the PPP phase or put down to 'weathering'. Ha ha.

I've been pondering the paint job and I think I'll go for the 'faded Czech' and yellow. I'm going to brush paint the camo - it's just too complex for masking. I think.

• Like 9

That looks fine. You master that very well. Yes  and no doubt with all that support here as as well. But you have to fix this at all. Will it be completley yellow underside. That would be fine. I didn't checked that by now.

For me an eagle just looks always majestic, lonesome and head up in a surreal environment. Ok my first bird of all, but could I be like that? Mhhh Probably not.

Edit:

Some comment on that video (The Spirit of Abba):

( 0:39 Central Asian Snow Leopard (very rare); 3:16 - 3:18 Torres del Paine (say Piney) Range, southern Andes, Chile; 3:21 Front Range, Rocky Mountains, Canada; 3:20 - 3:40 Dolomite Range, southern Alps, Italy; 3:40 Matterhorn, central Alps, Europe; 3:48 Mont Blanc, central Alps, Europe; 3:54 K2 Mountain, left distance, Karakoram Range, west Himalaya, Pakistan; 3:56 The Nameless Tower, Karakoram Range, Pakistan; 4:00 central Himalaya, Nepal; 4:01 - 4:05 Mount Everest, central Himalaya, Nepal-Tibet. Yes, I am a mountain expert, and very good at Abba too.)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Those wings look like they come from a much larger aircraft in relation to the fuselage don't they from some angles? I find this an oddly appealing aircraft the more of it you make Ced, something generic and European, the kind of thing that might turn up as a drawing in a Tintin story. (If that makes any sense at all:fish:...)

Lovely work.

Tony

• Like 2

Cracking along with this one again Ced, she'll be done in no time at all! I must admit I wouldn't have given this kit a second glance before you decided to build it, but now agree with Tony that it is becoming ever more appealing as it comes together! ( & Tony, I get exactly what you mean about it looking like something from Tintin!)

Keith 

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - great clip, great music and great knowledge of mountains! I'm an Abba fan too - I have 'Ring Ring' as a ring tone on my 'phone :) Yes, completely yellow underside. Well, pale yellow with, hopefully, some pre-shading. Or perhaps 'grey basing' would work? Like the one TT posted:

32370660140_3ee0af74d4_z.jpg

only, in my world, just after she was captured so with faded Czech camo like this:

Avia-B-71-(SE+FX)-Prague-Czechoslovakia-

I've had that as my desktop picture during this build so I'm a bit obsessed. I think I'll hand-brush the camo.

Thanks Giorgio - your BluTak idea helped dry fitting the parts but, when I came to fit them, I realised that the radiator was an integral part of the structure so I wouldn't be able to get it out (see below).

Thanks Tony - oddly appealing? That sounds dangerous... wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy let alone my friends :shutup: 

It does look quite 'generic' doesn't it? Something a child might draw... or design a model of!

Thanks Keith - don't do it! Unless you want your patience tried.

As hinted above I've done the nacelles. I was watching 'Virus' (Jamie Lee Curtis, yum) and thought 'Right, you must face your demons. If they can save the world from an alien virus you can stick some plastic together'. Probably. The chosen approach? One nacelle had been dry-stuck together, trying Giorgio's BluTak method but I realised I wouldn't be able to get it out. Options? Tape - no; you can't see the joins. Partial glueing? No, the whole thing sort of fits like a weird 3D jigsaw puzzle and has no strength or alignment unless it's together. OK, let's go for the 'rapid assembly' method using TET - IF I'm fast enough I'll be able to wiggle the bits into place. Brave? Not as brave as the blokes in the film.

Careful dry fits showed several of these irritating little mold blobs:

32979262516_039d28e3a2_z.jpg

See it? The little 'lip' bottom right? Enough to stop the part fitting:

33020918475_de94b018bc_z.jpg

So the whole lot was carefully cleaned, carefully dry-fitted and then WHAM - top part in and glued, side parts in and glued, bottom in and glued and front on and glued then push, shove, wiggle until they were on. One needed clamping to get the sides even with the front:

32895069621_47dafc7856_z.jpg

Then it was pant, pant, G&T and a rest while they dried. 

32896492061_1ea52096f5_z.jpg

32207825653_f82a5f54f9_n.jpg 32867425882_cbf929dbdc_n.jpg

Not my best work but some time with riffler, files and sanders followed by some PPP should do the job. I hope.

• Like 11

Thanks, very kind for the previous posts. Looks good again. I guess, the difficult parts are gone now. Good to see it in a yellow underside. Prime it in White!!! for a yellow finish and I guess Revell 15 is the right creamy yellow colour or something similar to that. Cheers

Ps; Otherwise put a drop of white into that yellow and then it should fit.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Keith - don't do it! Unless you want your patience tried.

Oh don't worry Ced, I was meaning the actual aeroplane was becoming more appealing - seeing you do battle with the 'painless' kit has warned me off it for life....!!

And Jamie Lee Curtiss - 'True Lies' & that little black dress.......

That's it I'm off to spray some matt varnish on a French aeroplane ready for tomorrow's club competition!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Martian! I'm trying to think up some superlatives for your Ju88 but failing me at the moment... 'good job' doesn't seem enough :)

Thanks Benedikt - you're welcome! Thanks for the tips; primer will be white, I think, although I'm still pondering the 'grey basing' to save me pre-shading the panel lines. Lazy me. Creamy yellow will be found.

Thanks Keith - phew! Good choice IMHO. Jamie in True Lies? My favourite film... and the.. black dress! Wow. Especially when... 'Dance for me', oh yes :Tasty:

File, file, sand sand...

32184831094_2049f9ce6d_z.jpg

Close to the start a voice came back into my head - 'let the tool do the work' - and I stopped pressing so hard. Amazing how much more comes off and how little clogging you get when you do it properly - lesson learnt (again!)

PPP session. On with the plastic spatula against the ridges, down the gaps. Wait. Rub off with damp cotton bud across the join. Not as bad as I thought:

33030960535_191598ac0e_z.jpg

32649021500_e23dccf841_z.jpg

Fit the remaining glazing. Trim the hole, dry fit, trim the hole, dry fit, apply Gator's Grip, insert part (fnaar!), press down - ping, gone, rats and other curses.

32216119703_d172df3729_z.jpg

Too big for ClearFix? We shall see.

Nice fit on the nose, if you put it on the right way up (yes, I did, and cursed some more until I realised)

32185794084_fe8facc3c0_z.jpg

Glue needs to dry, holes need to be plugged, then primer. Later chaps :)

• Like 9

Filling the holes - used Stew's sponge idea, top tip - and I remembered the slot in the nose. Some reference shots show a sort of blind or blanking over this so I found some suitable strip and glued it in the top, held at 'the right angle':

32992893386_ee9ff043e5_z.jpg

then bent it to the bottom, cut it and glued it in:

32219847423_783866d648_z.jpg

Once that was done I was ready for the Stynylrez white primer:

32219999433_5ba1449150_z.jpg

There seemed to be a lot of spray about, so I decided maybe it was time to change the filter:

32993628526_a539f32797_z.jpg

New one underneath. Oops. Perhaps I should have done this earlier?

Anyway, here's the toolkit for the underside:

32190160534_3a74a88474_z.jpg

I think the 002 is too yellow eh? Best to use the 078 (RLM04) with some white. Aged white or normal white? Thoughts chaps?

• Like 10

She's certainly getting there now Ced. I had thought the, er, shape 'qualities' of the nose were something that Frog had got wrong, when I built the Frog many years ago,

Now, looking at your ICM, I can see that Frog didn't; it's just how these Ant-40/SB/Avia bombers really look.

I found an old hard drive today with thousands of photos on it that I haven't seen for, in most cases, 10 years. Amongst them pictures of all

my models that got broken in my travels in 2008. I mention this because I found two pictures of my Frog Tupolev SB100; basically almost exactly the same subject as your model here.

It's hand painted in the colours indicated by the Frog box for a Spanish Republican aircraft in 1936. It's very likely far too dark a red-brown, contemporary profiles show this one in a sand colour.

It's extremely raw and amateur, but I thought you might like to have a look? It at least shows how much better yours already is :D! It was one of the first models I had made after a gap from 1990 to 2003 away from the hobby, and I was always a 'basher'.

I don't want to take over your thread, so just the links here:

https://flic.kr/p/R69tvX

https://flic.kr/p/RKqu8L

Feel free to chortle at my other efforts on the shelf :o! How time and methods change...

Brilliant work here Ced, really looking forward to paint. I'm with Benedict, light yellow with a dollop of  (normal) white in to give it that pastel look.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

Hello I would go with 078 which looks similar to Revell 15  and a beige cream white/ Hellelfenbein  drop Ral 1015. The Ral 9016 Verkehrs- white has bit greyish touch but seems to be to bright. I would mix the two whites 50/50 Which is than similar to RAL 9001 Creme weiß , which I would use for the yellow. You can spray the differnt mixtures on plastic spoons to see what you like most. Car modellers do this usually to look for the right primer for their metallic finishes.

• Like 3

Thanks TT - nice collection there, you'd obviously had fun. Unusual subjects some of them but then I know nothing other than RAF and a few Luftwaffe.

Thanks Simon - can I ask where you get your filters from? I picked a couple of spares up at a show but I've just used the last one.

Thanks Benedikt - results below!

Well I could't find any white plastic spoons but, as this is going to be 'dirty' and it's yellow, decided to try it on the model. Here's the 'raw' yellow RLM04 Vallejo Air .078:

32656959140_483ec8c476_z.jpg

Still wet but, as we thought, too yellow. Tried a 3:2 mix with the 'aged white' and got some nice tonal variation:

33039108585_37cb0cd453_z.jpg

so mixed up some more and went over the bottom, nacelles and empennage:

32883532102_474726430d_z.jpg

then dropped in some more white to do 'faded' elevators:

32913000511_e7a58c8319_z.jpg

Happy with that I think, especially as I think the Sepia wash will look good on this colour.

I don't have any paint for the Czech colours (surprise surprise) which is a good excuse for a trip to the LMS tomorrow.

Comments welcome as always :) 

• Like 14

Thanks for looking at those blobby old models Ced :D.

I think maybe it's going to be tricky to tell with the yellow, as I think it's probably going to look different on all the different devices and monitors/settings we've all got.

The photo and profile show what looks to be quite a lemon colour, with the rudder and elevators on yours looking really A1 spot on :thumbsup2: .

The underside could be a bit on the darker side, but it's splitting hairs and that could just be the way it's caught the light; the bottom photo looks a bit lighter overall.

It all looks very good to run with from here  Ced, and very smoothly applied :).

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Ced, I get mine from Expo, but they have run out at the moment.

They are due in soon, I spoke to their rep on Monday while I was at my LMS, and he told me soon.

So, have a look at their site, you will be surprized in what they do now.

Simon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CedB said:

32913000511_e7a58c8319_z.jpg

Happy with that I think, especially as I think the Sepia wash will look good on this colour.

I found particularly difficult to focus on your build after the view of Jamie Lee Curtis in her black dress in "True Lies"  had settled in the back of my mind (and the front, and all over ... I know, pathetic - must be the age), anyway: great progress :clap: excellent job on the Yellow coat :worthy:  I just wanted to mention, on the pic above: do I spot a crack in the rudder, crossing horizontally at 1/3rd of the height from the bottom?

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Rob, Benedikt, Cookie and John - glad you think it looks OK :)

Thanks TT - you're right about the monitors and, indeed, the lighting. It looks different in 'real life' and the wash will change it, of course.

Thanks Simon - found them here and ordered a couple, I'm in no hurry :) 

Thanks Giorgio - Jamie was supposed to distract you from that - it's a weird dent in the plastic which I will now call 'operational damage'. Look, Jamie, over there!

Off to get some paint for the camo tomorrow. While checking the website I noticed they also Mig 'filters' - do you think I could use these to get the faded look on the top? Or should I just use pastels? Humbrol dust? Mig wash? I haven't a clue really...

• Like 3