Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Perhaps I should add a few words and I have been taught to be respectful of others. And what I say is what I mean: no one of us can be perfect a paint master, it is true (as not, please correct me), but Mr Ced...he’s often shown the perfection of handmade & paint making by brush.

Very good brushstroke.I like it. Bravo!

:yes:

Andrii

• Like 2

Hello Ced I just looked at an older can and there stood 6h to dry for a new coat. Maybe 12-15h are enough.

Hello Andrii. I respect Ced's work at all and of course nobody's perfect, which I don't expect at all. But I think Ced expects a fair qoute of me, when he asks for a qoute. I think he 'll be annoyed, if I fib (shoot off my mouth?). And then his questions would be also obsolete. It just sounded like we were a bit too rough on him or his work or was that a general statement. Yes, a very good brushwork and now much better than  after the second cote of paint. Now  I can say, that it looks good to me. Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
not: excepts->expects
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Andrii....it looks good to me. Cheers Benedikt

Hello, Benedikt. As I understand it right, our conclusion is: - Improvement is an integral part of the victory in the daily hard work. (perhaps it is the philosophy of modeller success):smile:

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio - I'm looking forward to the fading/weathering too!

Thanks Johnny.

Thanks Benedikt - of course I should have checked the Humbrol website and that would have told me "Enamel Matt & Satin Paints: Surface dry  20-40 minutes, Fully dry in 24 hours". Thanks for looking at the pot - I just done that too and the little diagram presumably means 6 hours between coats. Now I know, but I'm not sure I'll be rushing to enamels again.

Thanks Simon (Beard) - more than one model on the go at a time? What if I mix up the parts!! That said I might start something tomorrow while I'm waiting for all this boring drying.

Thanks Ian - great tips on applying the pastels to a matt (noted) surface.

Thanks Keith and Leon - Molly is still under the weather as the carrion works its way through her system. Ears down and a bit subdued, but still a bit potty:

32271003013_ab36a753d9_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Hard to take pictures of a black dog.

Keith getting pills into a Newfie must have been fun! Mols does that trick too - eats the cheese, spits out the pill. I'll try Stew's 'two ball method' (fnaar fnaar!) next time.

Thanks Celt and Cookie, kind of you.

Thanks Adrii - kind comments. As Benedikt replied to you I'm happy to receive comments and help - especially pointing out errors. If I think people are being disrespectful I'll certainly tell them! :) 

Out to the Theatre tonight but I should be able to get the Klear on before bed.

• Like 11

I wasn't too sure if it needed another coat of green, but now it's on it definitely looks better Ced :thumbsup2: 

In fact it looks more than 'better' it looks marvellous! 

Sorry to hear and see Molly is still in the thick of it. I hope she gets better soon :dog:.

Hope a good night is had at the theatre 🎭, anything interesting? I'm impressed that you'll have energy for a coat of Klear after a night at the theatre; it would be straight off to the land of nod for me :sleeping:. I love sleep :D.

Looking forward to pastel experimentation!

All the best

TonyT

• Like 3

Oh! She's just a great dog. Wow, satin black. And she reminds me always of our first dog, when I was a child. Our second one was a small poodle and on one new years's eve she sucked all the wine from a fallen bottle very quickly. We hadn't noticed that soon and so she was drunk (half cut and stumbling all around ). We were upset as dogs can't resorb alcohol (that well, that humans can). She was ill for four days in a massive hangover! Hope, Molly feels better soon. Cheers and a nice evening

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Thanks TT, Benedikt and Keith :)

Molly's OK, thanks for the kind comments, but needs to let the carrion 'work its way through' so she's still on antibiotics and light pain killers. Fingers crossed. Back to the vets on Monday.

18 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hope a good night is had at the theatre 🎭, anything interesting?

Yes! Usually I accompany Mrs B to things she likes and I try not to doze off (or at least not snore). Last night we went to see 'Plastic' by Marius von Mayenburg and I really enjoyed it - great stuff and a good chuckle in several places.

I did do the Klear coat last night so this morning was ready to apply the transfers. Readers with a weak stomach may wish to look away:

32976985071_ee9d214f71_z.jpg

Did I laugh? No. Anyone like jigsaw puzzles?

32947717392_5ba2babc15_z.jpg

Best result:

32258917124_c07b92f6b1_z.jpg

32947943922_750645e1f4_z.jpg

That will be, ahem, heavily weathered. Not my best morning. I'm not going to trust the other transfers so I've applied some decal Film:

32947999742_efc20a0883_z.jpg

Guess what now? IWFTTD. (I'm waiting for that to dry - I may ask the mods to include that in the abbreviations list - seems to be in a lot of my posts recently).

In the meantime I've started a Fairey Firefly, kindly sent to me by Phil (HP42). Come on over!

• Like 10

The one on the port wing seems to have gone on okay, good luck with the others, and I hope Molly continues to recover (in my experience, dogs either like to eat or roll in carrion. Either way, the results are not good.)

• Like 1

Haha (sorry!), She will never give up to be treated like a puzzle (Even not on the decals).:fraidnot: Good to see, that your paints are not by ICM. Hope your fixings for the ceiling are also not by ICM. That would be a shame!

But you could also frame it like a puzzle onto the wall:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20291786/

:whistle::whistle:

Ps. Good to know that microscale products are always very reliable and fixing something, that seems to be lost. Good luck on the further decaling

• Like 3

Thanks Simon - it almost seems as though some sadist has run a scalpel blade across the decals! Horrid.

Thanks Clive - the 'liquid decal film' lays down a layer of 'plastic' on top of the transfers and can be used to hold them together (like this lot), restore old decals (a bit) or to 'seal' home-printed ones. Good stuff. I'd forgotten though that it does completely coat the decals (uh, duh!) so you need to cut them out carefully.

Thanks Benedikt - I don't want to judge ICM just on this one kit, but then I probably won't be buying another in a hurry! Thanks for the good luck wish - I needed it!

Under wing:

33064699766_89fcfda50b_z.jpg

The 'p' didn't go as well as hoped, must be me age. This is where I remembered that you have to cut the transfers out again after applying the film. I cut out the 'sets' for each side, put the first set in the water and applied the 'TK'. Tight fit. THEN I realised that the scheme is wrong - the suggested ones are too big. Quick, cut out the smaller ones and put one in the water.

33106828775_11e21c1201_z.jpg

Par for the course. i can also see the cracked 'T' in that shot. Note how the transfers also go over the window holes. Er, rats.

[Insert your choice of rude words, memes or youTube videos here]

(The 'Wilhelm Scream' has been used in more than 350 films and TV episodes. This afternoon I only used it 26 times... more to go)

Done.

32261462474_0274dda7b4_z.jpg

I usually put spare transfers in my stash. These have gone in the bin.

IWFTTD. Then the damn thing will get a bl**dy good weathering. That'll teach it.

• Like 10

Nice save Ced. A good reason for having a sheet or two of aftermarket decals, although having said that, it's always the ones that have no match on your spare sheet that cause the trouble.....

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Had a quick nap and then decided to blob some more Klear on the transfers to seal them in. Big mistake, but corrected:

32981536891_9b52611ded_n.jpg 33066772076_dee8d6363d_n.jpg

Now I will definitely leave that until tomorrow. Stupid error.

• Like 5

Thanks Simon, that's very kind of you. :)

Sometimes...

Remember the stash I mentioned above that the ICM decals weren't going in to? Guess what's in there. Yep, some Balkenkreuz of the correct size. I am an idiot (but you know that already eh?).

I'll see what happens during the weathering but, if all goes pear shaped, I'll replace the transfers and start again...

• Like 6

Those decals perform in ghastly fashion Ced, they seem determined to become cubist monstrosities. I feel for you after all the work you put in on this 'singular' kit.

Best wishes to Molly for a swift recovery of form. She's a handsome hound.

Tony

• Like 1