Avia B-71 - ICM 1/72

CedB

Crikey. I don't know a thing about weathering. It's a dark and mysterious art to me.

I must admit that I find Mr Jimenez's 'toob' videos fascinating and his products are so varied and fascinating; a hole could be easily burnt in my pocket by them.

Many swear by the pastels method and say it's easy to correct if it goes wrong.

That young @The Spadgent chap seems to have the odd idea or two (washes and socks, and some far less odd :lol:) about this weathering malarkey :thumbsup2: .

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 3

Pastels for me my friend, get some cotton pads and rub them in the pastel colours of your choice and the then gently dust the aircraft once the transfers are on and it will tone it all down, if you want to bring out panels then use q tips, make up applicators including the angled little sponges you can get for a bit of precision.... they work for exhausts and the odd bit of oil marks, but for that a prefer enamel or oil paint streaked with thinner.... 

HTH

Rob 

• Like 4

Thanks TT - same for me. I have a few pots but no idea, really, what to do with them to achieve a specific effect. I need to practice I guess, and remember what I did!

Thanks Rob - I think pastels are the way to go then. At least they build up slowly and come off fairly easily.

A couple of shots this morning close to the window:

32203047864_9bac2b292a_n.jpg 33048287915_b94e90dc80_n.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Happy with that, but not with the top of the nacelles:

32921661101_8f7e264687_z.jpg

Should have taken the paint back to the panel line. Now I need to try to mix another tiny batch of the same colour... or do some crafty 'weathering'!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks TT - same for me. I have a few pots but no idea, really, what to do with them to achieve a specific effect. I need to practice I guess, and remember what I did!

Thanks Rob - I think pastels are the way to go then. At least they build up slowly and come off fairly easily.

A couple of shots this morning close to the window:

32203047864_9bac2b292a_n.jpg 33048287915_b94e90dc80_n.jpg

Happy with that, but not with the top of the nacelles:

32921661101_8f7e264687_z.jpg

Should have taken the paint back to the panel line. Now I need to try to mix another tiny batch of the same colour... or do some crafty 'weathering'!

Really like that yellow Ced, nice finish and looks just pale enough to be in line with the pic, great work!

Rob

• Like 3

Whoosh... a few days away from BM and he's nearly finished!! 

Looking good. How was the Vallejo to spray? I have had really mixed results. At times amazing, best ever and nothing can touch it and other times it clogs the AB every 3 seconds....

• Like 1

Thanks Rob and TT - glad you like the yellow, I do too!

Thanks Leon - I like the Vallejo Air a lot, straight from the bottle with a drop or two of W&N flow improver mixed in if I remember. I do find that, sometimes, the flow starts dropping off but a blast onto the paper towel on the spray booth base usually sorts it out. When finished I then do a 'deep clean' on the airbrush and usually find it's mucky, despite my best efforts to keep it clean. Ho hum.

Thanks Simon - they're not cheap those filters are they? That said, I bet the cheap ones don't filter out the smell...

A trip to the vets this morning - Mols has been eating carrion according to Mrs B (typical Spaniel) and has been waking me up in the night to 'go outside'. Not approved. She was due her booster today but she has a small temperature so, instead, an anti-biotic shot, worming tablets and another appointment tomorrow. She's worth it, probably.

Then it was over to the LMS to buy the Czech paint scheme paint. Apparently Hu80 and 98 are only available in enamel so I have a nostalgic smelly session in my near future. I already had the chocolate (for some reason) so a trip for two pots of paint. Nice to get out though.

Scheme and paints prepared:

32671733860_72b0ded4d2_z.jpg

They went a bit mad with this camo didn't they? 'Unusual' isn't the word for it! I had hoped that the white primer, thin paint and my useless brushing skills would produce a scruffy finish and I wasn't disappointed:

32898505492_ef6f17df6c_z.jpg

Patchy paint allowed, brush marks not... I hope! Now drying in preparation for the enamel colours. Gave me a chance to get out some unused Sable brushes - RobVulcan (where is he?) warned that acrylics would give Sables split ends and he wasn't wrong - I still have some fluffy ones used for rough work and weathering now but these are new. First enamel brushing for ages. Nervous? A bit...

• Like 11

Hope Mols is better soon. Expensive things pets. Got to love them though, each an character .

And yes, they are not cheap, but do the biz .

The camo pattern does look fun, though I would not like to mask for it.

Fine progress sir. :drink:

Simon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio - Jamie was supposed to distract you from that - it's a weird dent in the plastic which I will now call 'operational damage'. Look, Jamie, over there!

:rofl:  :rofl:  Alright, alright.

Great job with yellow, Ced; and the "unusual" camo looks promising :Tasty: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Ahh dogs, they can bring you into desperation sometimes. Sometimes! Mostly they are beautiful. Hope she feels fine again!! :( ( and hopefully not caused by some stupid fuc*ers with something like poison, nails or razor blades in some food etc. like here happened in the last time:deadhorse::rant::mg: ).

Ah, a callenge for you with the good old Humbrol enamels, which I like. I will be keen on the result :)

• Like 1

On 19/02/2017 at 2:01 PM, Beard said:

I'm sure everyone will agree when I say that Silent Witness is a third-rate British rip-off of Quincy.

You should try the Coroner. It's a rip off of Father Brown.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon :) Mask it? I did consider paper templates but the scheme's so mad, and I'm brush painting, and the 'plan' is a faded finish, and I'm lazy, so I decided to free-hand it.

Thanks Giorgio - it certainly is 'different'

Thanks Benedikt - Mols is worth it and not that expensive compared to some females I could mention!

Thanks Whofan - not seen 'the Coroner' - worth a miss eh?

First coat of thinned Green on:

32929331081_26ec04dc2f_z.jpg

I must admit that I've taken some 'artistic licence' with the scheme but it's close(ish). I'm wondering if one thinned coat is going to be enough for 'faded' if followed by pastels. Certainly, where I've 'touched up', a second coat is going to be more solid, possibly too solid.

Chocolate next to fill in the gaps - unkind as I'm on a diet!

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon :) Mask it? I did consider paper templates but the scheme's so mad, and I'm brush painting, and the 'plan' is a faded finish, and I'm lazy, so I decided to free-hand it.

Thanks Giorgio - it certainly is 'different'

Thanks Benedikt - Mols is worth it and not that expensive compared to some females I could mention!

Thanks Whofan - not seen 'the Coroner' - worth a miss eh?

If you watched one you'd know what I meant!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

Chocolate next to fill in the gaps - unkind as I'm on a diet!

Ced, chocolate comes from cocoa beans, which is a vegetable - hence it's a sort of salad, fits perfectly in any diet ... end of discussion! :winkgrin::D

Ciao

• Like 5

Blimey Ced. I get wrapped up in my typhoon for a day or two and you've gone all Custard. You know it's my favourite. :lol:

looking really great, seems like it's been a struggle but you're winning her over. A bit late now but if you wanted to pre shade yellow I used flat brown on the nose cowl of my recent 109 and it worked a treat. As for weathering Flory washes are an easy win. Paint on, wipe off. If they aren't your cup o' tea I used oils I think on the yellow belly of my Meat box build last year. Paint on, wipe off. ( With white spirit ) both methods worked well.

the Camo and Custard looks great here even if you don't go down the weathering route.

looking forward to more.

Bravo sir.

Johnny

ps. Hope Molly gets better soon. :dog:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

Hope Molly feels better soon. One of our three has  a liking for " carrion " and has to be watched closely on walks, otherwise we get middle of the night " outings " as well.

Do you think that camo pattern was the inspiration for the Viggen splinter scheme?

John

• Like 2

But nevertheless: All that talk about Sweden ( and what happened there the last days; except for someone's hair shown in the nothern lights) and  Ikea and all the misfits of it all, I just  want to quote on  that by now and give an excuse for calling that "Kläppkästchen Brökkbie" : 

Would this look now just like a

16681724_1528129273867341_20969168648239

Nope!!!  Not at all. Just great. 

Couldn't  make that typewrite greater again!! Sorry. Oh S''''

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Thanks Whofan :)

Giorgio I usually count chocolate (and coffee) as one of my 'five a day' because, as you say, it's made from beans!:D

Thanks Clive - hopefully it'll work out.

Thanks Tony - very kind.

Thanks Johnny - I had a look at your Meteors and really like the effect so I've got the Gouache out.

Thanks Benedikt - nice wood!

Thanks John - Molly seems to be better (back to the vet this afternoon) and up to her usual tricks. An undisturbed night - hooray! At the vets she took a couple of worming 'bones' and three of the large pellet things for her gut bacteria ('dog Yakult' they called it) straight from the vet's hand, no problem. Here she takes them, chews them a bit and spits them out. Strangely (??) she will eat them if they're wrapped in ham fat :)

What do we think of this:

32220945344_11e872aa2d_z.jpg

Looks like a badly painted model to me. Natural light:

32220934804_06bd7c60ab_z.jpg

Hmmm. I think that, if I do another coat, I'll have too much colour and will have problems fading it. I'm inclined to leave the paint like that and put on a Klear coat (when the enamel's dry - later this afternoon? Tomorrow?) apply the transfers and then hit the top with pastels. I'll try the Gouache on the bottom and maybe some sepia wash.

Thoughts chaps?

• Like 10

Glad to hear Molly's better Ced :) For Westies the best method of pill-persuading skullduggery seems to be the "two balls of cheese" trick: as the name suggests, two small balls of cheddar, one of which has a pill artfully concealed within. Give the dog the pill-cheese-ball first but make sure he/she sees the other in your hand - he/she will be in such a hurry to eat the first one so that he/she doesn't miss out on the second (unadulterated) cheese-ball, that the pill-cheese won't touch the sides on the way down :D Psychology - it's what separates us from the beasts in the fields.

Regarding the colours, I would give the green at least another go over, if you are fading the colours with pastel anyway then you can do it at that stage, but if you apply the decals and the pastels and then decide the colours need another coat... well that will perhaps be a little late. If you follow me.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thoughts chaps?

Drybrushing on top of the camo colors with the same paint (test on a scrap part first), should blend things in and give the faded look you're after. I hope :coolio: 

Ciao

• Like 1