Greetings from Omaha

cduckworth

I retired from a big railroad here in Omaha 5 years ago and have been into the hobby on and off for 50+ years.  Like most us older modelers I started with Airfix's and Revell's 1/72 line in the late 1950's and recall as a 12 year old trying to line up all those struts on the R.E. 8 (it never occurred to me to let the struts dry over night and 'then' attach the top wing - truly a lesson in patience).  

Brian Knight's painting of of WW1 aircraft (Voss' triplane and the Russian Morane N) were a real draw in getting my money.   The Airfix single seaters were a mere 30 cents each and two seaters were 50 cents, enamel paints were 10 cents (gas was 29 cents a gallon) of course you made $2.00 cutting a lawn back then.  The bigger scale was Aurora and many a Albatros, Fokker DVII and S.E.5 got my 79 cents.  I remember finishing the Albatros C.III and thought the hobby just couldn't get any better.  Rigging was done with mom's sewing thread.   I built a few WWI Guillows kits but none of them survived their first flight.  

References were the Profile series (I still have all mine) and Arch Whitehouse was the guy to read to get you in the mood.  

I have a book case of 1/48 WW1 completed models mostly Eduard, Special Hobby, Dragon and a few resin kits.  Looking forward to contributing to the forums and learning new techniques.   

Last comment; I was wondering where I could find room for some recently completed models.  Last year our 2 year old granddaughter was here with her parents.  After they left I noticed several of my models were cast about the floor in several pieces in the spare bedroom.  I was able to save an Eduard DIII I'd painted as Jaconsen's aircraft with the flowers on the fuselage but that was it.  Now when she and her little brother visit there's a strip of duct tape along the glass book case protecting the 1/48 models.

Edited by cduckworth
  • Like 1

I did the first issue of their Eindecker and bought the newer one too.  I'd like to see if it can be modified into an E.I but haven't compared the parts to the Datafiles General arrangement drawings.  Or I might just be sensible and built it OOB.  

Eric

I hadn't thought of she status being elevated to 'ace-granddaughter' but you raise a good point.   Am sure her little brother will want to get into 'ace. status too.   Then there's the other three grandkids in Missouri who will also be envious of wanting an ace status too.  

This all doesn't look too good for my models does it?  :worry: