Jaguar GR1

20170519_221210_zpsvyfhankz.jpg

Well a painstaking few days getting the decals on. A mixture of those in the box, xtradecal and kits-world. The boxed decals were incredibally thin, a little too thin for my liking and not too forgiving when needing to adjust them, particularly the larger ones, hence the slightly misplaced no-step warnings on the wings.

20170519_220934_zpsqdkqszbc.jpg

I'm beginning to regret leaving the nose off. Am I right in thinking it should just blend into the rest of the fuselage? If this is the case I'll need to fill in and repaint the front end. Anyway, some good progress as far as I am concerned

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Ive used a few of the HATAKA sets recently, they have had mixed reviews but I've had no problems with them.

I need to move down the "paint set" route instead of individual pots. They seem a reasonable price those HATAKA sets, and I might treat myself to their RAF set for my next build. If they're rubbish I'll be banging on your door :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

.... Can I ask which green & grey paint you used?

I used Tamiya raf dark green and dark sea grey. It looked a little light at first but seems to have darkened a little over time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bodmin said:

I need to move down the "paint set" route instead of individual pots. They seem a reasonable price those HATAKA sets, and I might treat myself to their RAF set for my next build. If they're rubbish I'll be banging on your door :)

Your more than welcome to pop in for a brew, as I said with the 2 sets I've used I have had no problems with.

• Like 2

Looking rather Jaguarish is that. I like it.

Are the large No Walk decals on the wings and top of the intakes from Xtradecal? Any silvering issues at all? Ive heard of some people struggling a bit with them.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, I need some Jag KUTA impetus here. :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Looking rather Jaguarish is that. I like it.

Are the large No Walk decals on the wings and top of the intakes from Xtradecal? Any silvering issues at all? Ive heard of some people struggling a bit with them.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, I need some Jag KUTA impetus here. :)

Not sure what the make is, there is no label on them, they are the ones that came with the kit.  They were incredibly thin and needed plenty of fluid to stop them crumpling. They went on better than the ones on the wings, mainly because I'd learnt a lesson or two. No silvering issues though.

• 2 weeks later...

Close to finishing now. Got the nose, plugged the gaps and painted.

20170609_221613_zpsridzzri4.jpg

Seat in, just the undercarriage, payloads and bits and bobs to go

20170609_220258_zpscdyq7gmk.jpg

• Like 5

Nice work. Tanks and stores are looking great to.

The Airfix trench panel lines dont half hold some wash! Is it worth toning that down a bit before a final sealing coat if you havent already?

Nice work. Tanks and stores are looking great to.

The Airfix trench panel lines dont half hold some wash! Is it worth toning that down a bit before a final sealing coat if you havent already?

Well I'm calling this done. Just the canopy masking to remove.

20170610_174946_zpsogay7od2.jpg

20170610_175606_zpsfg3cm8ei.jpg

Bit of a frustrating build in places especially the undercarriage. But a few new techniques tried and something to take on to the next build.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Cheers buddy. Was quite pleased with it myself until the undercarriage collasped.

:(

On 11 June 2017 at 21:30, Bodmin said:

Cheers buddy. Was quite pleased with it myself until the undercarriage collasped.

Is it ok now?

• 2 weeks later...